PDA

View Full Version : Getting the POI pins in Google Maps (not Google Earth)

esupergood
02-10-2013, 14:23
(I've spent an hour searching the archives with no joy so I'm making a new topic)

I DON'T like Google Earth.
I DO like Google Maps.

Please can someone let me know if there is a way to display the WildCamping POI data into Google maps using a web browser?

Thanks very much to anyone who can help with this.
Cheers
sg

whitevanwoman
02-10-2013, 14:40
(I've spent an hour searching the archives with no joy so I'm making a new topic)

I DON'T like Google Earth.
I DO like Google Maps.

Please can someone let me know if there is a way to display the WildCamping POI data into Google maps using a web browser?

Thanks very much to anyone who can help with this.
Cheers
sg

Ditto, and for some reason I can't use google earth on my net book in the van - something to do with the size of the screen which means it won't display properly and I haven't sorted it out yet, because I can get google earth and the POI on my android phone and I only use the POI as a last resort when I've not found anywhere and am desperate, so I tend not to use it whilst away in the van.

But I do use Google Maps loads, and have set up my own maps, a bit cumbersome and time consuming but once it's done, it's done. What I do when I'm planning to visit a certain area is to look at the POI on Google Earth at home (on a different machine with a larger screen) beforehand and copy and paste any possibly suitable POIs in that area from Google Earth to Google Maps and then save it either as a map in it's own right (ie for a particular county) or I save each location onto an already existing map. This way I am gradually building up my own POI per county or geographical area with POIs which are suitable for me (because of having dogs, a lot of the locations on the Wild Camping POI are not suitable or are not to my liking so there's no point in having them on my own map).

If I have stayed at a particular location, I change the colour of the pin from blue to pink, so that I can see instantly where I've stayed, and it's a good way of keeping a record. I usually add the date of my stay in the notes.

I use a different colour pin (yellow) to mark locations I've discovered from looking at Google Earth or Maps, as possible suitable overnight locations, but which are not on the POI. Then when I'm anywhere near them in the van, I check them out and either add them to my map or delete them. I keep them a different colour on my map (red) to distinguish them from locations from the WC POI. Then if I use them and they are ok, I can forward details to POI Admin.

So far I've only got maps for Cumbria, North Yorkshire and the North East, as that's where I do most of my wilding. I also have a map for water, shower, toilet locations too. Not much on it yet and it would be really useful to add the information from the Wild Camping water locations POI to that so I'm interested to see if your question is answered and resolved.

Firefox has done something similar somehow as a private map but can't remember how he did it.

POI Admin
02-10-2013, 14:53
Have a look at this link, but don't get too excited ...

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/41136?hl=en

So it can be done, but only if the KML is hosted on the internet somewhere. However, if the KML file is placed somewhere public, it's a breach of copyright.

One of our members is working on a workaround, but I'm not sure when/if it will be available.

Sharon the Cat
02-10-2013, 15:13
I thought I was the only one who didn't like Google Earth. It's so nice not to be lonely any more.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS