PDA

View Full Version : Hawick " AIRE"

666jw
05-10-2013, 09:55
Stayed last night on the main carpark on Victoria street in Hawick,with designated free parking for camper vans. Haggis and chips from the chippy over the bridge, full English ( sorry Scottish ;) ) this morning at Sonia's on the bridge with excellent views, and a quick stock up at Iceland situated next to the car park.

Spoke to a Scot from Perth, from one of the other three overnight vans this morning. He agreed that the world would be a busier place, with free parking in all small towns and villages. He got a ticket a couple of days ago for overhanging the bay by a foot or so, in a Windermere pay car park. He's never going back, i dont blame him. I came here because of the forum posts and poi's so thankyou, and the good people/councillors of Hawick. No tourist info open out of season according to the display board, but mentioned it to the girl in Iceland on the till, and the italian owner of Sonia's.

Off now to the local butchers in Jedburgh to purchase 2009's Britain's best pie (chicken, haggis and peppercorn sauce), which I never forgot the taste of four years ago !! And then travelling thirty miles the wrong way, to see the bay city rollers in concert (when in Rome) tonight. Who says a small piece of free parking dedicated to camper vans, doesn't generate income ??

P.s Don't park in the camper area of the carpark on Friday night as you'll wake up surrounded by market stalls ;) thanks to a dog walker I had a narrow escape. Now I can't resist ending with..... bye bye baby, baby good bye baby :rockroll:

johnmac185
05-10-2013, 10:15
Stayed last night on the main carpark on Victoria street in Hawick,with designated free parking for camper vans. Haggis and chips from the chippy over the bridge, full English ( sorry Scottish ;) ) this morning at Sonia's on the bridge with excellent views, and a quick stock up at Iceland situated next to the car park.

Spoke to a Scot from Perth, from one of the other three overnight vans this morning. He agreed that the world would be a busier place, with free parking in all small towns and villages. He got a ticket a couple of days ago for overhanging the bay by a foot or so, in a Windermere pay car park. He's never going back, i dont blame him. I came here because of the Wc4mh forum posts and poi's so thankyou, and the good people/councillors of Hawick. No tourist info open out of season according to the display board, but mentioned it to the girl in Iceland on the till, and the italian owner of Sonia's.

Off now to the local butchers in Jedburgh to purchase 2009's Britain's best pie (chicken, haggis and peppercorn sauce), which I never forgot the taste of four years ago !! And then travelling thirty miles the wrong way, to see the bay city rollers in concert (when in Rome) tonight. Who says a small piece of free parking dedicated to camper vans, doesn't generate income ??

P.s Don't park in the camper area of the carpark on Friday night as you'll wake up surrounded by market stalls ;) thanks to a dog walker I had a narrow escape. Now I can't resist ending with..... bye bye baby, baby good bye baby :rockroll:

No need to avoid Hawick on a Friday night, you can park on free parking
near to Morrisons at other end of High Street, done so a few time and no problems,,,John

maingate
05-10-2013, 10:27
We had a friendly visit by someone from the Tourist Department (who got this Aire set up despite Council objections). The chap told us about the market and advised us to park up at the opposite end of the car park and we would be OK.

666jw
05-10-2013, 11:30
Sorry just to avoid any confusion,
lots of parking available, just not the dedicated section on Saturdays. I and others parked along the street side, as opposed to the thoughtfully located campervan riverside. All the car park is camper friendly and free ! I also forgot to add, don't forget a walk in the award winning park at the far end of the carpark, easily missable and worth a visit.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS