PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel de Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines - ouch

UFO
05-10-2013, 10:01
Last Tuesday we crossed into France from Germany and just after SÚlestat the sat-nav got confused with road works / new road and I took the initiative and followed the signs for Nancy and we ended up in, what I now know to be, the 6,872 km Tunnel de Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines, a former rail tunnel adapted for road traffic. Very impressive until we got to the other end and discovered a toll booth and we had to pay euro 17.10. Now we know why there was so little traffic in the tunnel. The sat-nav is set to avoid tolls hence its desperate pleas to make a U-turn while we were in the tunnel, it obviously knew something that we did not!

mart1
13-10-2013, 08:05
Hi,

Sorry for you...

That's why I prefer a good old map, especially in the mountains.
This tunnel was made for trucks, and for the winter.
When there is no snow, it's easy to drive over the mountain (778 meters alt.), very nice, and just a bit longer...

john t
13-10-2013, 08:53
We were at the Matterhorn a couple years back on a m/bike tour of Europe, got talking to guy who said the Mont Blanc tunnel was about 7 euro's for a bike, so as we were in a bit of a rush to get the ferry back from Rotterdam a couple of day's later we decided to head for the tunnel. Imagine my shock/horror when we got there and the price was e24, wasn't impressed at all, but like i said i needed to put a hurry on so i just took the hit, and went on...I was a little miffed though, lesson learned, don't take other people's word for things like that.!

jt

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS