PDA

View Full Version : House sold, log cabin and van bought. Ready to go.

seamus
05-10-2013, 14:57
Thinking of buying a galaxy note 10.1.
I plan to use this to access tv, films etc abroad. I would be getting an unlocked one to take local sims.
Is there a less expensive way to go at this, 400 + for a new unlocked one.
Batteries,solar panel.
Need to beef up the single battery and 80 solar panal (auto-trail Arapaho) I am leaning towards two 110 batteries (not leasure) as I heard there is no difference, going to add another 80w panel but I know from experience:mad2::cry: that the sargent panel will fry if it gets more than 120w through it.
Hope someone can give me advice, otherwise I want my tenner back:hammer:
seamus

suej
05-10-2013, 15:20
I'm not a very technical savvy person but I do know there is a difference between engine batteries and leisure batteries and they are each specific for their intended use. I'm sure someone will come along soon and explain and advise
Sue:)

seamus
05-10-2013, 16:00
thanks for that sue, I read somewhere that the leasure batteries were hyped up. I'm sure someone will be able to advise, I don't pick the van up until the 18th of this month so plenty time yet.
seamus

maingate
05-10-2013, 16:09
If you are fulltiming seamus why not go for 3 x 80 Ah batteries and 3 x 80 watt panels. That would see you alright as I don't expect you will be wintering at John O'Groats. :lol-049:

mariesnowgoose
05-10-2013, 16:17
There's a pretty comprehensive thread here about batteries:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-motorhome-chat/31615-leisure-batteries.html

I think you're probably right about them being hyped up :)

Jean Genie
05-10-2013, 16:21
I plan to use this to access tv, films etc abroad. I would be getting an unlocked one to take local sims.
Batteries,solar panel.
Need to beef up the single battery and 80 solar panal (auto-trail Arapaho) I am leaning towards two 110 batteries (not leasure) as I heard there is no difference, going to add another 80w panel but I know from experience:mad2::cry: that the sargent panel will fry if it gets more than 120w through it.
Hope someone can give me advice, otherwise I want my tenner back:hammer:
seamus

I heard a very good review on Radio 5 about the new Tesco hudl tablet at 110.

Quite well specced, very well for the price and it is bound to come down in price. Also Tesco are far more likely to honour guarantees than Samsung.

Nemos Dad
05-10-2013, 16:47
I have been spending time in the last few days looking in to this issue as I am having problems with the ArSilicii Switchless Fusing/Charging Unit on my 2001 Rimor. I found Atlantic Caravans in Conwy who offer a recondition service in exchange for the old unit. However they recommended I test my batteries first as duff batteries often cause problems in these units apparently. They have also recommended the using of non-leisure type batteries - Bosch or Varta silver calcium vehicle batteries. Please see this link and if you need to contact Allan at A&N, I cannot recommend him highly enough for his professional and helpful service. (I am in no way connected with this business but am very happy with their service.) A and N Caravan Services : Battery Technology Advances mean big savings and better batteries for Caravans/Motorhomes (http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-technology.php)

seamus
05-10-2013, 16:57
If you are fulltiming seamus why not go for 3 x 80 Ah batteries and 3 x 80 watt panels. That would see you alright as I don't expect you will be wintering at John O'Groats. :lol-049: Cheers MG, not exactly full timing, as a matter of fact I'm moving to your neck of the woods, well 20 mils north of Berwick, summer at my shack with lovely sea views, then heading for Dover and across the burn and heading for the winter sun, so its all good:hammer:
We went to Spain/Portuagal for several years, I had three 110's and 200 w on the roof of my Arapaho, little bit overkill as we never ever ran out of juice and never hooked up.
Looking forward to getting back into it after almost two years without a van.
seamus

seamus
05-10-2013, 17:00
There's a pretty comprehensive thread here about batteries:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-motorhome-chat/31615-leisure-batteries.html

I think you're probably right about them being hyped up :)
Thanks marie, bookmarked that for reading later.
seamus.

seamus
05-10-2013, 17:04
I heard a very good review on Radio 5 about the new Tesco hudl tablet at 110.

Quite well specced, very well for the price and it is bound to come down in price. Also Tesco are far more likely to honour guarantees than Samsung.
Thanks JG, also bookmarked for reading later. I would be greatfull to have any info on the spec on this, its all very confusing to an eejit such as me
seamus.

runnach
05-10-2013, 18:57
Cheers MG, not exactly full timing, as a matter of fact I'm moving to your neck of the woods, well 20 mils north of Berwick,

Maingate has been known to drive fifty mile to borrow sugar, you'll no get rid o him, now!!:raofl:

QFour
06-10-2013, 16:13

You will need a sim that gives you unlimited downloads . These can be rather expensive. You may also have trouble finding P2P software to run on an Android device. Other problems are lack of storage space for films unless you add a 32gb external sd card. You would be better with a laptop and good wifi connection. You can then play DVDs etc. Lots of P2P software available. Macs are a good choice but expensive. they also last forever. Put an aerial up and get sat tv.

An hours worth of a series cost someone over 6000 the other year. I know things have changed recently but I still recon it's going to be expensive.

Even with a good connection it can take 5 - 6 hours to download a film of 1gb or more

chrisinbrighton
06-10-2013, 19:43
You will need a sim that gives you unlimited downloads . These can be rather expensive. You may also have trouble finding P2P software to run on an Android device. Other problems are lack of storage space for films unless you add a 32gb external sd card. You would be better with a laptop and good wifi connection. You can then play DVDs etc. Lots of P2P software available. Macs are a good choice but expensive. they also last forever. Put an aerial up and get sat tv.

An hours worth of a series cost someone over 6000 the other year. I know things have changed recently but I still recon it's going to be expensive.

Even with a good connection it can take 5 - 6 hours to download a film of 1gb or more

with either one of these you can connect a 2.5 external passport type hard drive to a phone or tablet I use this link one with my Galaxy s4 which is the micro version it comes in the mini version too 2nd link
MINI FEMALE USB TO MICRO MALE USB ADAPTER CONVERTER CHARGER UK | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-FEMALE-USB-TO-MICRO-MALE-USB-ADAPTER-CONVERTER-CHARGER-UK-/190747452276?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccesor ies_MobilePhoneDataCables_JN&hash=item2c696f2374#ht_1742wt_1400)

USB 2.0 ADAPTER TYPE A FEMALE TO TYPE B MINI 5-PIN MALE CONNECTOR / CONVERTER | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-ADAPTER-TYPE-A-FEMALE-TO-TYPE-B-MINI-5-PIN-MALE-CONNECTOR-CONVERTER-/200890980777?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Cables&hash=item2ec60919a9#ht_2099wt_1400)

will work with 3.5 external hard drive but that must have its own power supply

seamus
06-10-2013, 19:56

Thanks for that. I thought I could download and store films etc at home and watch them in Spain/Portugal.
I have a laptop but I'm afraid I've never had much success getting a wifi connection. No doubt through my own stupidity.

seamus

seamus
06-10-2013, 21:37
with either one of these you can connect a 2.5 external passport type hard drive to a phone or tablet I use this link one with my Galaxy s4 which is the micro version it comes in the mini version too 2nd link
MINI FEMALE USB TO MICRO MALE USB ADAPTER CONVERTER CHARGER UK | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-FEMALE-USB-TO-MICRO-MALE-USB-ADAPTER-CONVERTER-CHARGER-UK-/190747452276?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccesor ies_MobilePhoneDataCables_JN&hash=item2c696f2374#ht_1742wt_1400)

USB 2.0 ADAPTER TYPE A FEMALE TO TYPE B MINI 5-PIN MALE CONNECTOR / CONVERTER | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-ADAPTER-TYPE-A-FEMALE-TO-TYPE-B-MINI-5-PIN-MALE-CONNECTOR-CONVERTER-/200890980777?pt=UK_Computing_USB_Cables&hash=item2ec60919a9#ht_2099wt_1400)

will work with 3.5 external hard drive but that must have its own power supply
Thanks for that chris, just ordered them on ebay.
seamus

seamus
06-10-2013, 21:46

so should I go for the note 10.1 or a cheaper option such as the hudl that jean genie posted about?
seamus.

chrisinbrighton
06-10-2013, 22:17
Thanks for that chris, just ordered them on ebay.
seamus

You need to convert the hard drive your using to fat 32 windows 7 doesn't support it you need to do it with

Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd (http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm) you can then use any size external hard drive it even works with my 4tb one

seamus
06-10-2013, 22:37
You need to convert the hard drive your using to fat 32 windows 7 doesn't support it you need to do it with

Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd (http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm) you can then use any size external hard drive it even works with my 4tb one

this is getting a bit scary chris:lol-053: do you mean I would have to do this on the note 10.1?

chrisinbrighton
07-10-2013, 07:14
this is getting a bit scary chris:lol-053: do you mean I would have to do this on the note 10.1?

Seamus no its the hard drive you intend to connect to the note 10

seamus
07-10-2013, 08:19
Seamus no its the hard drive you intend to connect to the note 10

Ah, right, its the thingies I just ordered on ebay, is that a hard drive? ( I thought a hard drive was up Sutton Bank and over the Yorkshire moors to Flamingoland:D) I'll get this right, I promise you:wacko:
thanks again,seamus

chrisinbrighton
07-10-2013, 09:29
Ah, right, its the thingies I just ordered on ebay, is that a hard drive? ( I thought a hard drive was up Sutton Bank and over the Yorkshire moors to Flamingoland:D) I'll get this right, I promise you:wacko:
thanks again,seamus
no Seamus those you ordered on ebay are the adaptors you use to connect a hard drive to your note 10 thingie

kangooroo
07-10-2013, 11:02
I heard a very good review on Radio 5 about the new Tesco hudl tablet at 110. Quite well specced, very well for the price and it is bound to come down in price. Also Tesco are far more likely to honour guarantees than Samsung.

Based on my experience, Samsung do not honour their own warranties. I had a phone which failed 12 months into its 24-month guarantee. It was returned to Samsung - they didn't bother to acknowledge receipt and it took +3 months plus two court orders for them to even look at it, then even more time to report on the fault, and this report was 'confidential' and only made available following a further two court requests.

I ended up suing the company in the County Court. Samsung didn't bother to attend (or give the required notice of their non-attendance) and I was awarded the cost of the phone without any deduction for the 12 months use I'd had - an unusual award granted because of the contemptuous way Samsung had acted both towards me and the Court. After the Hearing, Samsung didn't pay and I ended up having to appoint bailiffs to claim the payment. Samsung then paid but very grudgingly and verbally threatened to counter-sue me for winning a case against them.

I found the company especially obnoxious to deal with and would never wish to deal with them again. As for making a warranty claim against the company - be warned!

(Re Tesco - I've bought faulty products, always been dealt with courteously and refunds/replacements offered with no quibble.)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS