PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a perfect van ?

herbenny
06-10-2013, 16:46
So as we are heading to getting van number 4 (in less that three years) :scared:
I know we have to get it right this time....We are seriously looking into doing a self build ..that was our original plan anyway until Mrs impatient here lost sight of it all !!!

So not sure really where we go from here and help would be appreciated. We have a very limited budget of 5000 do we spend that on a van alone and slowly do work on the self build all of next year doing what we can when we can, bearing in mind we have limited knowledge.

or do we see if we can get something cheap and cheerful that's already been started and has the basics ...and we can finish it off. There are vans out there within our budget but as always I am terrified of making a mistake as I think he will definitely marching me down to the divorce courts :scared:

If anyone see's anything that they think may be suitable that could you please let us know ....I have given up on the idea that it needs to be automatic as I know they are far and few between and as of next week I am doing lesson to get my manual licence at very long last :)

oldish hippy
06-10-2013, 16:54
dont you mean unlimited knowledge as you have this forums and ther are some fantastic self builders out there who are more than willing to share thier knowledge with anybody
so dont be put off just decide on what you need out of the van first then you will have to make a list of whats important to you then do them bits first then add the luxurys afterwards

basic van
double matress
gas cooker single burner catridge type
bowl +water container
portaloo or bucket
half dozen carrier bag to store stuf in job done

vwalan
06-10-2013, 17:01
there are lots of perfect vans out there . perfect for someone . but might not be perfect for others .
only you know what you want /need/fancy / what parking do you have?
do you want to use the vehicle as a car ?
how long are you planning going away in it for?
is it just to stay in uk ?
all valid questions . only you know the answer .
i say truck with a box easy to convert . but depends on your driving license .
ex library van is another way .
prison truck ,the kids love them .

wildman
06-10-2013, 17:09
Keep your eye on this one
HYMER MOTOR HOME RV 4 BERTH FORD TRANSIT BANANA DIESEL 5 SPEED LHD PAS AWNING | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYMER-MOTOR-HOME-RV-4-BERTH-FORD-TRANSIT-BANANA-DIESEL-5-SPEED-LHD-PAS-AWNING-/300981994200?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item4613ecc2d8)

herbenny
06-10-2013, 17:12
there are lots of perfect vans out there . perfect for someone . but might not be perfect for others .
only you know what you want /need/fancy / what parking do you have?
do you want to use the vehicle as a car ?
how long are you planning going away in it for?
is it just to stay in uk ?
all valid questions . only you know the answer .
i say truck with a box easy to convert . but depends on your driving license .
ex library van is another way .
prison truck ,the kids love them .

Well the original plan was to get lwb van so my husband could use of for work and it could be used for going away. Its a good size not too big and certainly not too small, It would work well for us both and the dog. That way we can downsize to two vehicles instead of three. This was the idea at the beginning of the year until I threw a spanner in the works and went out and bought the one we just sold :o

Parking for us is limited although the majority of the time it will be parked in my husbands work which is secure. It will be there most of the week. We don't go away for long periods of time because of work commitments. I can see where you are coming from vwalan as its good to weigh up the pros and cons:)

Barrie your right ..there is lots of valuable advice on here ...and its always appreciated :bow:

n brown
06-10-2013, 17:19
the ambulance i'm doing cost 3 grand,well maintained,2000 reg,fully insulated,good enough windows,leisure battery 110 ah, 2 good roof vents,3200w eberspacher. the box is square,so no scribing for furniture,it's just under 7 foot wide so the bed can go either way-it even came with sat nav. the hob cost 5 from a boot sale,she had a gas bottle and porta potti and woodburner already and the rest of the materials will be under 400.she's got a fridge but can't be bothered with it and doesn't want a shower or sink and I agree they're not necessary.so if you do the work yourself,your budget could be more than enough

vwalan
06-10-2013, 17:22
for years well 88-98 i ran a 2.1 vw t25 , with a sheldon hightop . i made a simple conversion bed over engine cooker by sliding door . a bit like an early t2 moonraker . two more beds in roof for kids . i could take it out in a few minutes then put in engines to go for recon . or for picking up vw spares abroad .
or going awau in winter to spain etc we had the perfect van .
built a similar but no hightop on a t2 for travelling round africa .
but then bought my mini artic . that really suits my life style .
had loads of vw,s before that and during .
had a t25 pickup with a full plastic/canvas tilt that you could almost stand up in . made beds on the pickup bed and off we go.
also got a teardrop caravan had it for 23 yrs now . that was great as well .
it never ends . they were are all perfect at times .

tadpole58
06-10-2013, 17:26
I'm not sure what they have available right now is what you would want but have always thought these guys sell some good value vans - Cheap campers for sale in the UK ideal for festivals and Euro tours (http://bargaincampervans.co.uk/Home.php)

herbenny
06-10-2013, 17:27
the ambulance i'm doing cost 3 grand,well maintained,2000 reg,fully insulated,good enough windows,leisure battery 110 ah, 2 good roof vents,3200w eberspacher. the box is square,so no scribing for furniture,it's just under 7 foot wide so the bed can go either way-it even came with sat nav. the hob cost 5 from a boot sale,she had a gas bottle and porta potti and woodburner already and the rest of the materials will be under 400.she's got a fridge but can't be bothered with it and doesn't want a shower or sink and I agree they're not necessary.so if you do the work yourself,your budget could be more than enough

Hi nigel ...its good to know it do- able with the budget we have got. I agree with you I don't want showers, sinks etc I would try and keep it as simple as I could, but I would want heater that I have learnt. I have been reading through all the self build threads on here and I have picked up lots and its given us lots of ideas.

I think this is going to be the best way forward for us ...I should of listened to you a year ago tut !!

FULL TIMER
06-10-2013, 17:59
I'm not sure what they have available right now is what you would want but have always thought these guys sell some good value vans - Cheap campers for sale in the UK ideal for festivals and Euro tours (http://bargaincampervans.co.uk/Home.php)

They certainly seem cheap enough although I notice in the Transit still for sale I'm sure the water heater isn't fitted correctly, I think I'm right in saying that as it has at least two outlets it should be fitted with the correct cowling and vented through the roof.

Mastodon
06-10-2013, 18:07
No

vwalan
06-10-2013, 18:10
depends what year it was fitted . you were ok fitting them like that at one time . its only fairly recently that its been changed .
now it as to be air in and and the exhaust both sealed from the living sleeping area .

Smaug
06-10-2013, 18:46
as others have said "perfect for what?"

5k is a small budget for "perfection", but you should manage to get something that will "do you nicely" - provided you know what it is you actually want. At least, after 3 vans, you should know what you don't want, which is a good start.

Think carefully about how you want to uses it & what you MUST have, rather than what you would like.

herbenny
06-10-2013, 19:14
We certainly have learnt what we both don't like. What a learning curve its been.

I think we would just be happy with a decent enough van at the moment with
1. a bed
2. a heater
3. a toilet

that will just do for now ...the rest can wait :)

Smaug
06-10-2013, 19:29
We certainly have learnt what we both don't like. What a learning curve its been.

1. a bed
2. a heater
3. a toilet

Wot, no cooker?

herbenny
06-10-2013, 19:38
Wot, no cooker?

Got a camping stove :)

FULL TIMER
06-10-2013, 19:56

1. a bed
2. a heater
3. a toilet

As you say I would concentrate on a decent van and the rest should be achievable, you could just insulate and panel a van out and fit a rock & roll bed complete with cusions around 400 or even a bed settee , heater plenty of Eberspachers go cheap on the bay go for either a D2 or D4, or if using gas a Propex Heatsource, toilet as cheap as 50 for a new porta potty or similar, nothing stopping you building more into it as time/money allow's, main thing of course is to get it usable, mains hook up ,battery charger, split charge system and leisure battery need not cost a fortune and all pretty easy to fit you could even get a complete kitchen unit with hob sink and maybe fridge from a caravan breakers etc , The beauty of self building is the chance to build what you want when you want and the ability to adapt and alter at a budget that suits. plenty of help/ advice available on here and at meets .

ricc
06-10-2013, 20:42
if the van is needed for work , most of the camper bits have to be removable,

ive a lwb semi hitop mk 5 transit, which i use for work

take the tools out , sling in a mattress, porta potti , and a double gas burner and youve got a tin tent.

ive chopped the bulkhead out above the seats and fitted some shelving behind it....somewhere to put the cooker etc, though i prefer cooking outside on a folding table, the shelving is sturdy enough for me to climb over from the rear to the driving seat if the need ever arises.,

some insulation, a window in the side door , a roof vent and some sort of easily removable bed that converts to a settee with storage space under are on the list of things to do whenever.

a plastic tarpaulin rigged round the open rear doors and a watering can wielded by the other half stood in the back of the van will do for a shower....dont even need the plastic sheet if proper wild camping.

for occasional use onboard water, electrics, solar etc aint really necessary, long as i can run the laptop of the fag lighter and charge one phone in case we need it.

n brown
06-10-2013, 20:53
for a self builder,the perfect van is the next van-longer,shorter,higher,lower,bigger bed ,better heater-it never stops you know !

vwalan
06-10-2013, 20:56
make seat bases with a strong bottom side . like a coffin box . easy to lift in or out . make them big they dont move around . 12mm birch ply is ideal.
or steel angle iron corners and a thinner ply . but put cross braces in . can be all done on a weekend .

hextal
06-10-2013, 21:15
Everything is a trade off. Vans even more so.

Build your own is as close as you'll get though i reckon. But then im biased.

runnach
06-10-2013, 21:20
So as we are heading to getting van number 4 (in less that three years) :scared:
I know we have to get it right this time....We are seriously looking into doing a self build ..that was our original plan anyway until Mrs impatient here lost sight of it all !!!

So not sure really where we go from here and help would be appreciated. We have a very limited budget of 5000 do we spend that on a van alone and slowly do work on the self build all of next year doing what we can when we can, bearing in mind we have limited knowledge.

or do we see if we can get something cheap and cheerful that's already been started and has the basics ...and we can finish it off. There are vans out there within our budget but as always I am terrified of making a mistake as I think he will definitely marching me down to the divorce courts :scared:

If anyone see's anything that they think may be suitable that could you please let us know ....I have given up on the idea that it needs to be automatic as I know they are far and few between and as of next week I am doing lesson to get my manual licence at very long last :)

Suppose you could say the same "is there such a thing as the perfect woman". How long is a piece of string :lol-053:

oldish hippy
06-10-2013, 21:25
Suppose you could say the same "is there such a thing as the perfect woman". How long is a piece of string :lol-053:

no

ashbyspannerman
06-10-2013, 21:52
if the van is needed for work , most of the camper bits have to be removable,

ive a lwb semi hitop mk 5 transit, which i use for work

take the tools out , sling in a mattress, porta potti , and a double gas burner and youve got a tin tent.

ive chopped the bulkhead out above the seats and fitted some shelving behind it....somewhere to put the cooker etc, though i prefer cooking outside on a folding table, the shelving is sturdy enough for me to climb over from the rear to the driving seat if the need ever arises.,

some insulation, a window in the side door , a roof vent and some sort of easily removable bed that converts to a settee with storage space under are on the list of things to do whenever.

a plastic tarpaulin rigged round the open rear doors and a watering can wielded by the other half stood in the back of the van will do for a shower....dont even need the plastic sheet if proper wild camping.

for occasional use onboard water, electrics, solar etc aint really necessary, long as i can run the laptop of the fag lighter and charge one phone in case we need it.

Just remember if you go down the route of having a combined work/camper van then you won't be able to change the type on the log book to camper as the fittings are removable, then you should also remember the lower speed limits for a van, especially if you like visiting Scotland, they're very hot on speeding commercials up there, (as i know to my cost!) bloomin long drive from inverness to edinburgh at 50 mph!

whitevanwoman
07-10-2013, 00:09
My van is perfect.... for me and the dogs :dog:- I realised early on when looking at coachbuilts, that I'd be spending my (very limited) cash on a 20 year old camper with nowhere for the dog to go. For the same money I could get a "blank canvas" van which was only 10 years old and half the mileage. I've never really had a clear layout in mind except for the dogs cage being near the side access door and because of the wooden frame along one side, it had loads of storage potential and it just evolved as I used it and got ideas on what to put where, both from other people, from other vans and from experience of what worked or didn't work.

At my first meet at Ribblehead at New Year 2012, I just had an inflatable mattress and no insulation, and the bulkhead meant it was totally dark with the side door closed. After 48 sodden hours, I came home with a plan of action :idea:
1. remove bulkhead
2. add insulation
3. improve bed

So I set about doing that, on virtually a zero budget, and then once those were done and I used it again, I set some next targets :idea:
1. leisure battery - wire in
2. sort out clothes storage
3. fit more insulation....

and so I got on with those, and next time I used it, I came home with another plan of action....:idea:

and so it evolved until now it suits my purposes perfectly and I love it. I know it wouldn't suit other people but they don't have the same needs as me, nor use the van the same way as me. I have a sink (but no tap.... yet), a mini 12v fridge (though I don't use it much cos of the drain on the battery), a loo (disguised as a seat) and a bed which can be left as a seat during the day or folded away for more space. And the dogs have their own cosy bedroom for when they are wet and dirty or I just want them out of the way or so that they are safe whilst travelling.

I have a porta potti here if you want it, I can send it via WC member courier service from the music meet, don't want anything for it, someone gave it to me but I've never used it, I prefer my paint bucket and lid inside my decorated dirty linen box - it doubles up as a seat without it being obvious it's a loo. I found that the base of the porta potti is much wider all round than my ex linen box, and even just a few extra inches makes a big difference space wise (said the actress to the bishop.... ;)

If you do decide to get a basic van and evolve it gradually into a camper to suit your needs, prepare yourself for many a sleepless night tossing and turning where to locate your battery / cooker / sink / bed / loo / clothes storage etc. It's been a lot of fun doing it this way, and it means I've ended up with a van which I never want to part with now, as it's just..... well, you've seen it, it's just perfect for me :heart:

Also prepare yourself to have your kitchen become a DIY workshop / store room for a couple of years whilst doing it :scared:

herbenny
07-10-2013, 06:03
My van is perfect.... for me and the dogs :dog:- I realised early on when looking at coachbuilts, that I'd be spending my (very limited) cash on a 20 year old camper with nowhere for the dog to go. For the same money I could get a "blank canvas" van which was only 10 years old and half the mileage. I've never really had a clear layout in mind except for the dogs cage being near the side access door and because of the wooden frame along one side, it had loads of storage potential and it just evolved as I used it and got ideas on what to put where, both from other people, from other vans and from experience of what worked or didn't work.

At my first meet at Ribblehead at New Year 2012, I just had an inflatable mattress and no insulation, and the bulkhead meant it was totally dark with the side door closed. After 48 sodden hours, I came home with a plan of action :idea:
1. remove bulkhead
2. add insulation
3. improve bed

So I set about doing that, on virtually a zero budget, and then once those were done and I used it again, I set some next targets :idea:
1. leisure battery - wire in
2. sort out clothes storage
3. fit more insulation....

and so I got on with those, and next time I used it, I came home with another plan of action....:idea:

and so it evolved until now it suits my purposes perfectly and I love it. I know it wouldn't suit other people but they don't have the same needs as me, nor use the van the same way as me. I have a sink (but no tap.... yet), a mini 12v fridge (though I don't use it much cos of the drain on the battery), a loo (disguised as a seat) and a bed which can be left as a seat during the day or folded away for more space. And the dogs have their own cosy bedroom for when they are wet and dirty or I just want them out of the way or so that they are safe whilst travelling.

I have a porta potti here if you want it, I can send it via WC member courier service from the music meet, don't want anything for it, someone gave it to me but I've never used it, I prefer my paint bucket and lid inside my decorated dirty linen box - it doubles up as a seat without it being obvious it's a loo. I found that the base of the porta potti is much wider all round than my ex linen box, and even just a few extra inches makes a big difference space wise (said the actress to the bishop.... ;)

If you do decide to get a basic van and evolve it gradually into a camper to suit your needs, prepare yourself for many a sleepless night tossing and turning where to locate your battery / cooker / sink / bed / loo / clothes storage etc. It's been a lot of fun doing it this way, and it means I've ended up with a van which I never want to part with now, as it's just..... well, you've seen it, it's just perfect for me :heart:

Also prepare yourself to have your kitchen become a DIY workshop / store room for a couple of years whilst doing it :scared:

Thanks Jess ....your right what's perfect for you my not be right for others and vice versa.

I can see us going down the route of a van with a mattress thrown in the back and trying to give ourselves a year to kit it out how we would like it. I have no idea on layout even after three vans ...I always like the idea of bed at the back or living space, small kitchen and just somewhere to stick a loo. I am more daunted by the fact that even though Paul is willing to have a go at anything he does only have limited time at home. When we have spoke about attempting to do our own set up a year ago he feels unsure on things like wiring plumbing, gas etc so the more basic we keep it the better.

At this moment in time I honestly don't know what to do for the best ....ideally if I am honest I would prefer a conversion that has already been started, at least it would give us a head start. Who knows ....me being me could turn up at the Halloween meet with something completely different :lol-053:

oldish hippy
07-10-2013, 06:10
well you will have learn how to drive it first then when you get couple of days chuck matressand bucket in van with odd bits you struggling to do and talk nicely to a self bulder and pop and see them or turn up at a meet i am sure if you turned up at the fixitmeet with all the stuf you could have walked away with finished van lol and they can help you out with the odds and sods well daisy mini did hers with some help from forum so iam sure that therewillbe member willing to help you out so get the van save few pennies get one job done then the nex one caravan breakers good place for you to start hunting for the bit you need

spigot
07-10-2013, 10:08
Has an interior like a Concorde but drives & parks like a T5.........Ho Hum!!!

oldish hippy
07-10-2013, 11:47
and runs on fresh air and cheap to tax

kangooroo
07-10-2013, 12:09
No

I disagree!

Mine ticks every box for me and the only improvement I would want to make is adding roof-vents but these might affects its ability to glide beneath height barriers.

n brown
07-10-2013, 12:16
I would be very wary of buying any part conversion. why did they stop? lack of funds or a dodgy engine ? plus they've dictated the layout , maybe a lot. a lot of part conversions I've seen are because the owners realised they had no design or practical skills and gave up after bodging a few heavy sticks together. I took a ''kitchen unit'' apart for someone recently that was screwed with posi and slot screws,big ones,had 3'' nails and woodglue and silicone involved too !with lots of nasty right angle brackets as well

whitevanwoman
07-10-2013, 12:52
I would be very wary of buying any part conversion. why did they stop? lack of funds or a dodgy engine ? plus they've dictated the layout , maybe a lot. a lot of part conversions I've seen are because the owners realised they had no design or practical skills and gave up after bodging a few heavy sticks together. I took a ''kitchen unit'' apart for someone recently that was screwed with posi and slot screws,big ones,had 3'' nails and woodglue and silicone involved too !with lots of nasty right angle brackets as well

Oooops... that's my kind of DIY :scared:

Boots
07-10-2013, 13:21
Hi,

May help if you posted details of the 3 you have had and what was wrong with them.

If you don't use the van alot then you can/will/should put up with some drawbacks, if you are going to use it lots then you should put up with less drawbacks.

I have a Transit Autosleeper, 1987, automatic pop top, 2ltr petrol. I need an auto, mpg is 28ish on petrol and its quiet when driving, has a pop top so less wind buffetting on the Mway or in the wilds and is fine when the weather is mainly good.

Due to its size and insulation I would say its a summer camper van, bit to small and not warm enough to be in all the time in the winter. So its used mainly in the warm times.

To be out n about in the cooler times I would like something a bit bigger and insulated then I won't go 'stirr' crazy.

So Im looking for something, my budget is about the same as yours and I'm working on the principal of giving it a minimum of 4 coats of looking at as to rush into it will be a waste of time and money.

From what you say I don't think you have any idea what you want so if thats the case then remember, an impulse buy usualy turns into a long winded whinge and an even longer time to sell at a loss.

So put up the details of the past vans and what the problems were with them and Im sure the 'collective' will be able to help you out

I wish you luck.

Boots

spigot
07-10-2013, 13:36
and runs on fresh air and cheap to tax

You've got it!!!!!

Covey
07-10-2013, 13:37
Keep your eye on this one
HYMER MOTOR HOME RV 4 BERTH FORD TRANSIT BANANA DIESEL 5 SPEED LHD PAS AWNING | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYMER-MOTOR-HOME-RV-4-BERTH-FORD-TRANSIT-BANANA-DIESEL-5-SPEED-LHD-PAS-AWNING-/300981994200?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item4613ecc2d8)

The "Coffee & Cream's" were built like the proverbial Brick S*** Houses and you only have to see the number still on the road with happy owners so see how well they were built.

I was waiting in a queue for an MOT with my Hymer and the vehicle in front was a 21 year old Coffee & Cream and it sailed through the MOT with no advisories. For a 21 year old vehicle thats pretty good. The woodwork was all done by cabinet makers and not a bit of MDF in sight.

Take a punt!!!:wave:

Smaug
07-10-2013, 13:39
Hi,

May help if you posted details of the 3 you have had and what was wrong with them.

If you don't use the van alot then you can/will/should put up with some drawbacks, if you are going to use it lots then you should put up with less drawbacks.

I have a Transit Autosleeper, 1987, automatic pop top, 2ltr petrol. I need an auto, mpg is 28ish on petrol and its quiet when driving, has a pop top so less wind buffetting on the Mway or in the wilds and is fine when the weather is mainly good.

Due to its size and insulation I would say its a summer camper van, bit to small and not warm enough to be in all the time in the winter. So its used mainly in the warm times.

To be out n about in the cooler times I would like something a bit bigger and insulated then I won't go 'stirr' crazy.

So Im looking for something, my budget is about the same as yours and I'm working on the principal of giving it a minimum of 4 coats of looking at as to rush into it will be a waste of time and money.

From what you say I don't think you have any idea what you want so if thats the case then remember, an impulse buy usualy turns into a long winded whinge and an even longer time to sell at a loss.

So put up the details of the past vans and what the problems were with them and Im sure the 'collective' will be able to help you out

I wish you luck.

Boots

While that sounds sensible, there is one big flaw; - My ideal van is not yours.

With 20 people "helping" you are likely to get pretty well 20 different "solutions". MH's & campers are expected to do many different things for different people, that is why there are so many different designs - even from the professionals. Star talking to home converters & bespoke designs & you are unlikely to find any consensus.

First you MUST decide what you want it for & what you need it to do. That will set the basic parameters like size & style (camper, pop-top, conversion, coachbuilt, fifth wheel, etc etc) and only then should you start thinking about layout within that particular size & style of vehicle.

mariesnowgoose
07-10-2013, 14:05
Smaug is spot on, Herby, and so is Mr brown :)
If you want your next van to be a keeper (at least for a BIT longer than your last 3! :lol-049: ) don't rush it.

In reality, you can take all through this winter to work it out, Mrs Impatience :p :)

Paul won't be the only one you'll get no sympathy from if you do and end up not liking what you buy! :hammer: :lol-053:

Sit down and work out what is essential/important and what is a "nice to have" but not important.

You might work out that having something double-up as a camper and work van may not be the answer for you both either - how you gonna come to the ladies meets if Paul's swanned off somewhere in it? :scared: :lol-053:

You and Paul need to do lots and lots and lots of thinking and working out what is best.

Pity you're not coming to the camper show at the NEC in Birmingham next week.
Good place to pick up all sorts of nifty ideas you can use/adapt for a self-build :)

Take your time! ;)

Firefox
07-10-2013, 14:18
Don't underestimate the time it will take to finish a self build if you are both workng. Unless you are really prepared to rough it, you may be taking yourselves off the camping scene for a while. Vans without insulation, ventilation or heating are miserable places to be. And if you don't have windows it won't qualify for many campsites.

Good luck with it!

mark61
07-10-2013, 15:04
As long as you're not loosing on each change, what difference does it make how many vans you go through to find one you like. Not suggesting you just run out and get any van. But if it turns out that you can't live with a van you initially thought you might like, change it. Theres no exam to get the ideal van in is as few moves as possible.

herbenny
07-10-2013, 15:12
Don't underestimate the time it will take to finish a self build if you are both workng. Unless you are really prepared to rough it, you may be taking yourselves off the camping scene for a while. Vans without insulation, ventilation or heating are miserable places to be. And if you don't have windows it won't qualify for many campsites.

Good luck with it!

Thanks all for you help and advice .....:)

We have decided that
we think we are prepared to give it a go and try and do our own :banana:
You don't know these things unless you try ..ok it might be the biggest balls up of mankind but at least it will be our balls up :)
Hopefully going to spend the winter trying to save more money ...I am going to rummage through ebay for cheap and cheerful bits and pieces, do lots of homework and the how's, whys and what goes where.
Unless of course something comes along and catches our eye, but I doubt it !!

n brown
07-10-2013, 15:41
once you get hold of a vee hickle,then you can ask as many questions as you like. if it's all new to you,and this is for any other beginners, don't even buy tools without checking first ! a lot of conversion work depends on the right tool and some details. I am making top lockers today,very easy if you have- a chopsaw
an air nailer-this is almost vita
a drill
a quick clamp
the cupboards are 48'' x11''deep and 16'' high and weigh[i'm nosy] 2.7 kilos, I know that's beside the point !
I would also advise joining the sbmcc as they have a great archive of plans for electrics gas and water ,made as simple as poss.lot of first time builders on there,many skint ones doing it on a budget too

Smaug
07-10-2013, 16:53
this one might be perfect (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Fiat-Ducato-Sundance-590RL-/111183841840?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item19e312ca30) but, to be honest, it's more likely to be a scam at that price. Who sells a van at 10k below value?

AuldTam
07-10-2013, 16:56
Thanks all for you help and advice .....:)

We have decided that
we think we are prepared to give it a go and try and do our own :banana:
You don't know these things unless you try ..ok it might be the biggest balls up of mankind but at least it will be our balls up :)
Hopefully going to spend the winter trying to save more money ...I am going to rummage through ebay for cheap and cheerful bits and pieces, do lots of homework and the how's, whys and what goes where.
Unless of course something comes along and catches our eye, but I doubt it !!

That's how I went about my conversion...I bought most of my equipment secondhand via Gumtree and ebay...since my first attempt I have changed the layout 3 times and everytime I'm away in it I always think of a way of making it better.

Just a suggestion, consider making your furniture in removable pieces..I built my furniture in the shed then bolted it into the van...over the winter I cant unbolt 90% of it and store it inside. Earlier this year I built a RnR bed, so I can still have a 4 seater vehicle during the winter months.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS