PDA

View Full Version : Water pump stuck on in the Hymer B534

esupergood
08-10-2013, 22:02
We had a new microswitch fitted whilst we were in Inverness by a mobile mechanic as the old one suddenly stopped working.

He fitted it, tested it and went away. All was well.

But then is suddenly got stuck on. Sort of.
The bit that is submerged in the fresh water tank is permanently making a loud noise although none of the taps are open. The only way to stop it is to remove the fuse from the fuse box.

I've text the chap who fitted it for us but he's all the way in Inverness and I'm in Oldham so he's limited in what he can do. Here is his reply

That's a difficult one for me without being there with a volt meter, Sorry.
Maybe a micro switch is jammed in the on position maybe even the new
one. Sometimes if the water tank is low/empty the pump will stay on
trying to fill the hot water tank.

I've tried it with the water level very high with the same result.

Any tips on how I can have a bash at this myself?
Or shall I get a pro in?

Cheers :)

maingate
08-10-2013, 22:15
You could disconnect the live wire from the new microswitch. Then you could use the other taps in the meantime.

Aladdinsane
08-10-2013, 22:29
I would change the system and fit a pressure sensitive pump (shurflo), you then do not rely on expensive un reliable micro switched taps.

esupergood
08-10-2013, 22:42
Thanks for that.
Disconnecting the live wire could be a good initial workaround.
I wouldn't know how to change the pump systems and daren't try ;)

QFour
09-10-2013, 05:34
It's not that complicated, you have a pipe from the tank to the pump and the pump then connects to a small pressure vessel, this then connects to your original water pipe, it's a very simple conversion, pump is wired with a live feed that is always on, open tap and you get a pressure drop so pump notices this and switches on, it then runs until you switch the tap off pressure builds and pump stops. You can use your old taps providing they don't drip. Pumps are not that expensive 30 - 40. You should be able to google it and get a schematic from the internet.

esupergood
10-10-2013, 12:39
It's not that complicated, you have a pipe from the tank to the pump and the pump then connects to a small pressure vessel, this then connects to your original water pipe, it's a very simple conversion, pump is wired with a live feed that is always on, open tap and you get a pressure drop so pump notices this and switches on, it then runs until you switch the tap off pressure builds and pump stops. You can use your old taps providing they don't drip. Pumps are not that expensive 30 - 40. You should be able to google it and get a schematic from the internet.

This all looks a bit beyond my capability. I can see me spending 2 days and getting nowhere
How to Wire a Shurflo 12V Pump | eHow (http://www.ehow.com/how_4814951_wire-shurflo-v-pump.html)

I'm off out to test disconnecting the live wires from the 2 pumps microswitches so I will at least know which tap is causing the problem. I suspect even this simple task will prove too much for me as well.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS