PDA

View Full Version : Any experiences of this MPPT regulator

Airecraft
09-10-2013, 06:41
Looking to buy an MPPT reg and this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20A-MPPT-Solar-Panel-Battery-Regulator-Charge-Controller-12V-24V-Auto-Switch-/290939963326?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item43bd5f87be) seems good value.
Does anyone use this model or have comments on it?
TIA
Andy

Wooie1958
09-10-2013, 07:44
Yes, i have exactly that one bought from the same company and i`m very happy with it.

It does exactly what it says on the box and seems to be keeping my batteries topped right up and seems to provide more charge to them
given the same amount of light.

I got mine on Auction and paid slightly less than that price.

Airecraft
09-10-2013, 11:14
Yes, i have exactly that one bought from the same company and i`m very happy with it.

It does exactly what it says on the box and seems to be keeping my batteries topped right up and seems to provide more charge to them

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear. Always nice to save a bit of £ but I can't complain at the buy it now price.

invalid
09-10-2013, 11:21

Totally agree, I got the 30amp and it does what is says on the packet, the first one had to come from China had real fun getting money back as never arrived, bought one from UK, and will not buy from outside UK again.

shaunr68
09-10-2013, 11:36
I'd be dubious as to whether it is a fully functional MPPT controller at that price. If all you are after is a cheap solar regulator then you have nothing to lose though!

I researched a number of different Chinese "MPPT" controllers before buying and eventually settled on this one, not least because someone with infinitely more knowledge than me had posted a helpful video review on Youtube that appeared to confirm that it did what it said on the tin. I had to wait a few weeks for delivery from China but it appears the same seller is despatching them from Germany now.

20A 12/24V MPPT solar charge controller 20A MPPT solar regulator for RV Boat | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20A-12-24V-MPPT-solar-charge-controller-20A-MPPT-solar-regulator-for-RV-Boat-/360521804335)

eBay Chinese MPPT charge controller review - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Okm50rgAWg)

Airecraft
09-10-2013, 12:04
Totally agree, I got the 30amp and it does what is says on the packet, the first one had to come from China had real fun getting money back as never arrived, bought one from UK, and will not buy from outside UK again.

Cheers, buying from China can be hit and miss and there is a long wait (I'm in no rush). Touch wood, I've only had one prob in about 30 purchases - at least you get your £ back off Paypal - eventually.

Philcott
09-10-2013, 12:36
While on the subjet of regulators, how many amps should I get (i.e. the one linked is 20 amps) for my two 75 ah batteries. I want to upgrade to 2 x 110 ah batteries so need to know what will cope. Solar panel will be in the region of 100/120 watts.

shaunr68
09-10-2013, 13:05
While on the subjet of regulators, how many amps should I get (i.e. the one linked is 20 amps) for my two 75 ah batteries. I want to upgrade to 2 x 110 ah batteries so need to know what will cope. Solar panel will be in the region of 100/120 watts.

AFAIK the battery capacity should not make any difference, what you need to ensure is that the regulator can cope with the current output from your panel(s). My two 80w panels provide between them about 10 amps peak on a sunny day so a 20 amp regulator is more than enough and would be for your 100/120w panel.

Cheers
Shaun

Philcott
09-10-2013, 13:17
thank you Shaun! It's all a confusing mine field to me at the moment, but getting my head around it all slowly! :juggle:

invalid
09-10-2013, 13:17
I have two 120w panels providing about 15 amps thatís why I went for 30amp regulator just to be on the safe side, hope that helps.

Philcott
09-10-2013, 13:18
I have two 120w panels providing about 15 amps thatís why I went for 30amp regulator just to be on the safe side, hope that helps.

Thanks yes it does!

Kontiki
09-10-2013, 19:57
Found this video on youtube China MPPT Solar Charger MPPSolar PCM-3012 Review - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q2ICp7acvA) about the MPPT Solar Charger MPPSolar PCM-3012 from Taiwan & also explains what MPPT & PWM are. Dubious of the quality of the controller you ask about, it seems to be a bit too cheap.

Airecraft
10-10-2013, 07:13
Found this video on youtube China MPPT Solar Charger MPPSolar PCM-3012 Review - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q2ICp7acvA) about the MPPT Solar Charger MPPSolar PCM-3012 from Taiwan & also explains what MPPT & PWM are. Dubious of the quality of the controller you ask about, it seems to be a bit too cheap.

Hmmm - the reg in the video sells for £86 on ebay. Does make my link seem to good to be true - and as they say "If it seems to good to be true....
I may buy from a UK seller, check for the transformer coils and, if they're not there, get my £ back with the Distance Selling regs. For what it offers me I don't want to spend just shy of £100 on a controller, I'll stick with PWM.
Thanks for the heads up.

hextal
10-10-2013, 08:35
I suspect at that price it isn't MPPT. You'd generally be looking at circa 10 times that price.

hextal
10-10-2013, 08:39
Hmmm - the reg in the video sells for £86 on ebay. Does make my link seem to good to be true - and as they say "If it seems to good to be true....
I may buy from a UK seller, check for the transformer coils and, if they're not there, get my £ back with the Distance Selling regs. For what it offers me I don't want to spend just shy of £100 on a controller, I'll stick with PWM.
Thanks for the heads up.

To be honest, if you're only after a PWM, which this almost certainly is, its still cheap. At that price, if it works it's probably still a fair bargain

Kontiki
10-10-2013, 17:52
Found quite a few good videos on youtube about solar panels & controllers, helped me to understand how they work. I'll probably get a 20 amp MPPT controller to fit in place of my 10 amp Sunsave PWM one, my panel is a polycrystalline one which I don't think performs a well as the monocrystalline one I had on my lat van so I need to maximise the performance.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS