PDA

View Full Version : Overnighting in Manchester

northman
10-10-2013, 09:24
Nobody has apparently asked this question since 2006 so I'll give it another go. I am keen to see a number of productions at the Lowry in Salford Quays over the next few months. The nearest actual campsite to Manchester appears to be Rochdale so does anyone know of a secure place to overnight in the area of Central Manchester/Salford. No problem with paying car parking fees for a secure spot. Any suggestions appreciated.

northernspirit2001
10-10-2013, 12:33
i parked a coach overnight last weekend in the little layby outside Ordsall Hall on Ordsall Lane, l'd have happily overnighted there in mh except for the traffic noise

Smaug
10-10-2013, 12:35
look for a small industrial site or "technical park" nearby as that is unlikely to be populated overnight when the units & offices are closed, plus, if it is off the beaten track you won't get drunks or kids wandering thro at night.

666jw
10-10-2013, 19:23
i parked a coach overnight last weekend in the little layby outside Ordsall Hall on Ordsall Lane, l'd have happily overnighted there in mh except for the traffic noise

Without being disrespectful to the good people of Ordsall, you are in gangster land. Salford 6 has a well earned reputation, up to you but why take that risk !

Wooie1958
10-10-2013, 19:29
Without being disrespectful to the good people of Ordsall, you are in gangster land. Salford 6 has a well earned reputation, up to you but why take that risk !

I`ll second that, you really need to give that area of Salford a very wide berth, unless of course it`s changed a lot recently.

Deadsfo
10-10-2013, 20:47
I`ll second that, you really need to give that area of Salford a very wide berth, unless of course it`s changed a lot recently.

It has'nt!!, Tesco Failsworth just the Manchester side of Oldham 5 mins from junction 22 on the M60 ,huge car park lots of locals parking there vans on there,get to the far side away from the store
the carpark is never ever full ,you are then 15 mins from central Manchester one straight road or catch a bus ,and 25 mins from the Lowry centre and of course the home of the finest football team on the planet ,well up to the recent change of manager that is!!

stonedaddy
10-10-2013, 21:15

That area is very dangerous and I am surprised the coach was still there the next morning. There is a good lay by outside Salfords new rugby ground that is set back off the main road. Lots of people park there for the night. It is between Eccles and Irlam on the A57.
.... Tom ....

scek
10-10-2013, 22:05
The layby is a mile from our house. it's on the A57 between Salford rugby ground and makro. it's noisey, off a dual carriageway, has the police helicopter pound behind it, but loads of trucks use it. we see the occasional motorhome parked there.

About 3 miles away is holly bank campsite, next to warburton bridge. Its on the 100 bus route which goes from warrington to Manchester.

rebbyvid
11-10-2013, 08:22
Try the arena car parks (boddingtons car park across the road) and (city centre arena parks at the side of arena ) i have used both on a sunday when i have a trip into Manchester but have never stopped overnight as i live very close but have seen the odd van overnighting.
http://goo.gl/maps/X3Aoa
http://goo.gl/maps/sa84g

rebbyvid
11-10-2013, 08:24
Also surprised it was still there next day ;);)

northman
11-10-2013, 16:27
Thanks for the tips, I've been in touch with Holly Bank campsite and I think I'm better getting my daughter to give me a lift out there (4 miles from the Trafford Centre where she seems to spend much of her time!) after the show. I'm not worried about the overnighting in a car park or lorry park; it's leaving the van unattended for 5 hours when I go to the performance and get back afterward. :scared: It was much easier when I had a boat and could just moor up in Castlefield.

rebbyvid
11-10-2013, 17:05
Good choice (the car parks i mentioned are manned 24 hrs)i used to work for a skip firm in Rixton a few years ago ,dont think the site was there then but looking at google maps a mate who has a tropical fish farm just down the road is still there.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS