PDA

View Full Version : Being friendly or a nuisance?

Kryten
12-10-2013, 10:25
Over the past few weeks there has been a van parked across the road from me. This isn't a problem for me and it seems not to be a problem for anyone else since the van has been parked there for awhile. I'm almost 100% sure that someone is inside and the van does move sometimes, probably to the supermarket and back. my question is should I go over and see if they are ok or if they need anything, or would that appear to be interfering and not welcomed?

john t
12-10-2013, 10:31
Go and give em a knock, worst they can say is get lost. if they do say that, let there tyres down....more than likely you'l strike up a conversation, and could point em this way to the Wild Camping Forum.!

jt

Smaug
12-10-2013, 10:32
Maybe some of the full timer stealth boys need to answer that. Knocking on the van may scare the bejasus out of him. I think it would be better to arrange to "bump into them casually" sometime when they come out to offer a bath/ washing machine/ ironing board or whatever.

On the other hand it could be a Police undercover teem keeping an eye on your tomatoes & you wouldn't want to blow their cover would you?

Perhaps calling with a couple of tinnies in your hand might work, but be aware that someone who is deliberately keeping a low profile may struggle to deal with company thrust upon them. People living out of a van in an urban situation may well only be one step away from homelessness, you really do need to walk on eggshells if you want to help them rather than tip them over the edge.

invalid
12-10-2013, 10:47
Maybe some of the full timer stealth boys need to answer that. Knocking on the van may scare the bejasus out of him. I think it would be better to arrange to "bump into them casually" sometime when they come out to offer a bath/ washing machine/ ironing board or whatever.

On the other hand it could be a Police undercover teem keeping an eye on your tomatoes & you wouldn't want to blow their cover would you?

Perhaps calling with a couple of tinnies in your hand might work, but be aware that someone who is deliberately keeping a low profile may struggle to deal with company thrust upon them. People living out of a van in an urban situation may well only be one step away from homelessness, you really do need to walk on eggshells if you want to help them rather than tip them over the edge.

It could be an undercover team keeping an eye on YOU!!!!

n brown
12-10-2013, 11:09
this is very English-any other country the locals would be banging on the door offering eggs or water,satisfying their natural curiosity. i'd bang on the door and tell them they can get some water from you if they need it-it's perfectly normal to be nosey !

NeilyG
12-10-2013, 11:19
Leave me alone it's me in there!
Just scrounging your WiFi - downloading movies & all sorts. Watch out for your next bill - I'll be away by then.

Smaug
12-10-2013, 11:37
Leave me alone it's me in there!
Just scrounging your WiFi - downloading movies & all sorts. Watch out for your next bill - I'll be away by then.

Nice troll, but the BT Fon network doesn't affect the bill of the BT broadband owner.

invalid
12-10-2013, 11:41
Could be the drug squad, long beard, motor home, unduly cheerful, you sure your not growing anything?

Smaug
12-10-2013, 11:57
Could be the drug squad, long beard, motor home, unduly cheerful, you sure your not growing anything?

That was my reference to "tomatoes". :banana:

Kryten
12-10-2013, 12:06
I know they aren't spying on me or anyone else because of the length of time they have been parked up. Whoever is in the van keeps a low profile, curtains always seemed to be closed and no sign of life. if it wasn't for the fact that that van does move from time to time I would think that it had been dumped.

I suppose the worse that can happen is that I'm told where to go. I'll hang on for awhile longer to see what other suggestions/advice I get on this thread.

Smaug
12-10-2013, 12:08
If you tell 'em about this forum, they'll be able to read this thread.

Take a small gift when you go, a Fifty quid note might be enough . . . :lol-053:

oldish hippy
12-10-2013, 12:18
sorry i will move tommorow

Kryten
12-10-2013, 12:32
If you tell 'em about this forum, they'll be able to read this thread.

Take a small gift when you go, a Fifty quid note might be enough . . . :lol-053:

I'm just printing off a few at the moment. I'll take one round when they are dry.

oldish hippy
12-10-2013, 12:34
thats naughty i dont need one thankyou i will be gone tommorow

Wooie1958
12-10-2013, 12:47
I still can`t get my head around this " Stealth Camping " malarky.

Keep all the windows and blinds / curtains closed, keep your head down, don`t open any windows or doors etc.etc.

Sat in a dark van almost hiding from the world ?

I like to see what`s going on and if it`s warm get the Hekis, Windows and Door open.

Smaug
12-10-2013, 13:17
I still can`t get my head around this " Stealth Camping " malarky.

Keep all the windows and blinds / curtains closed, keep your head down, don`t open any windows or doors etc.etc.

Sat in a dark van almost hiding from the world ?

I like to see what`s going on and if it`s warm get the Hekis, Windows and Door open.

It's all about not attracting attention in an Urban environment tho, - and having somewhere better than a cardboard box to spend the night. People need to be near work, family or whatever but may not be able to afford a flat or hotel. I think we will see more of it as people on benefits are forced out of houses with a spare bedroom, then visiting kids or othe family will need to kip in a van on the doorstep.

Touringtheworld
12-10-2013, 14:36
Cheaper than renting a residence - take them a pot of tea and the Daily Mirror

invalid
12-10-2013, 14:47
Of course it could be prospective buyers trying to drive property prices down by making people think that a new travellerís site is in the offing?

wildman
12-10-2013, 14:49
hurry up and knock on the door, we are all waiting to see what reponse you get, hee hee.

BrianG
12-10-2013, 14:54
hurry up and knock on the door, we are all waiting to see what reponse you get, hee hee.

I second that. Go on what are you? Man or mouse?

scampa
12-10-2013, 15:07
I'd tread very carefully if I were you.

Because there are far fewer wildcampers around at this time of year, the infamous mad axe-murderer has given up wasting his diesel in touring the usual POI's and hot-spots, looking for victims. Instead, he parks up in a residential area and waits for the more helpful and neighbourly types to come to him! Who knows what's really going on behind those closed curtains?? :scared:

It's always good to give strangers the benefit of the doubt and offer to help them, but also bear in mind that he could be in hiding, or on the run, and doesn't want to be seen or recognised. :ninja:

By all means, go knock on his door and offer to help with water or whatever.......... but as he opens the door, I would chuck in a stun-grenade just to be on the safe side!! :):):)

Smaug
12-10-2013, 15:22
Don't forget you stab vest & tin hat . . . :ninja:

Kryten
12-10-2013, 15:42
http://i41.tinypic.com/15oibv4.jpg

Caz
12-10-2013, 16:47
You are all assuming it's a man! The only time I have seen anyone round here living in a van (as opposed to a campervan or motorhome), it was a young lady. She was parked in the local railway station car park and spent a few days there before moving on.

Kryten
12-10-2013, 16:57
It is a man, otherwise she is badly in need of a shave. I had a quick chat and asked if there was anything he needed and he said he is ok. I was a bit concerned that he wouldn't be warm, it has turned chilly here, but when he opened the cabin door I could feel the heat.

n brown
12-10-2013, 18:18
It is a man, otherwise she is badly in need of a shave. I had a quick chat and asked if there was anything he needed and he said he is ok. I was a bit concerned that he wouldn't be warm, it has turned chilly here, but when he opened the cabin door I could feel the heat. well done you ! your curiosity is satisfied,which it should be,and he might be feeling a bit less isolated .result !

RoaminRog
12-10-2013, 19:56
A few years ago, the manager of a factory was moaning about the fact that a foreign lorry was parked in such a way as to partially block the gate of his premises. It seems he had been there for days, I suggested to him that he may be unwell and perhaps someone should check on him.
To cut a long story short, eventually I climbed up the front of his cab, and there was the driver, laying on his bed..... dead as a dodo!
If only someone had checked on him before instead of moaning perhaps there would have been a happier outcome.
Regards Rog.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS