PDA

View Full Version : Can you believe it!!!!

silverweed
12-10-2013, 12:21
We have a 2002 Hymer b564L which we'v had a year now. In the early summer the fridge freezer sprung a leak in the gas and had to be replaced (at great expense but that's another story). The front wood trim panels did not fit the new fridge but I kept the old doors and today got round to taking the decor panels off as they may come in handy if we damage anything. Can you believe it, the back of the panels are covered in wood worm holes. Who would have thought it, I would had assumed a van that new would have been treated. Haven't seen any other evidence in the van but it makes me wonder. Might be an idea to check out the wood work chaps, before its Sunday lunch

Smaug
12-10-2013, 13:26
But where did you store the doors? Were they in a shed where woodworm might be expected to be?

Aladdinsane
12-10-2013, 14:04
We have a 2002 Hymer b564L which we'v had a year now. In the early summer the fridge freezer sprung a leak in the gas and had to be replaced (at great expense but that's another story). The front wood trim panels did not fit the new fridge but I kept the old doors and today got round to taking the decor panels off as they may come in handy if we damage anything. Can you believe it, the back of the panels are covered in wood worm holes. Who would have thought it, I would had assumed a van that new would have been treated. Haven't seen any other evidence in the van but it makes me wonder. Might be an idea to check out the wood work chaps, before its Sunday lunch

I have some sheets of 3.5mm Oak faced ply from O'leareys and it's covered in worm holes, mostly along the back face not through. They would have been there before the wood was processed.

silverweed
12-10-2013, 19:37
The holes appear to be through one later ply that I can see and not through the whole thing. The doors were left in my dinning room so should have been safe enough

n brown
12-10-2013, 20:58
there's usually a bit of fine dust involved if they're live,more likely to be treated wormy wood used for ply-unless the holes go through more than one ply.invesigate with a toothpick or similar

silverweed
13-10-2013, 06:39
No dust at all but I suppose with the movement of the van it could have been knocked off. It seems a strange cost cutting to use wormy wood for the ply. Some how I thought Hymer would have been above that but obviously not

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS