PDA

View Full Version : electric hook up lead not working ?

Penny13
14-10-2013, 09:50
Hello guys first wet field and electric hook up lead stopped working ?
At my sons and tried it all so it defo lead, well van works on batteries ?
Any ideas how to check lead, have put it indoors to dry ?
Thank you Penny13

MORGANTHEMOON
14-10-2013, 09:57
Hello guys first wet field and electric hook up lead stopped working ?
At my sons and tried it all so it defo lead, well van works on batteries ?
Any ideas how to check lead, have put it indoors to dry ?
Thank you Penny13

Was there electric to the EHU. it may have tripped out.

Penny13
14-10-2013, 10:13
Going to look in fuse box under the seat, but I dies not work on my sons electric ?

Smaug
14-10-2013, 10:14
Yup, always check a hook-up on a different post & check the trips are all set.

As to the lead, it can only be internal connections or corroded pins/ sockets. Use a continuity test for the lead to see which wire has failed. If none, check out your van socket - and the fuse in the van!

Continuity test: Resistance (ohm) setting on a multimeter & make sure the plug end to socket end resistance is zero (or at least very low - a few ohms). Check your meter first by tapping the probe ends together as the internal battery for resistance measurements may be dud. If you get something like 20ohms when tapping the probes together, expect something similar from a good continuity test & replace the battery in your meter when you can.

Alf
14-10-2013, 11:01
Hi Penny ..... Are you at home now is the van there have you a external socket to allow you to hook up now if so try the hook up at home.
Its a good idea to have an external blue 16a socket wired via a rcd at home you can hook up anytime to test items and charge your batteries

Alf

Penny13
14-10-2013, 11:15
Hi all the trip switch was off in the van so hoping its sorted x

MORGANTHEMOON
14-10-2013, 12:45

It's a lot to learn Penny but you'll get there.

Smaug
14-10-2013, 12:53

Excellent, now set up a check list for your self & get it laminated!

GinaRon
14-10-2013, 15:37
On our second trip in van last year our EHU would not work and Ron had to strip ends and rewire it (if that makes sense) he chuntered an awful lot whilst doing it
:lol-053:

Wooie1958
14-10-2013, 17:19
On our second trip in van last year our EHU would not work and Ron had to strip ends and rewire it (if that makes sense) he chuntered an awful lot whilst doing it
:lol-053:

Hey Misses ...............

You`d be surprised at what we can get done whilst Merrily Chuntering Away to ourselves ........................................... LOL

oldish hippy
14-10-2013, 17:38
note to ones self must check electric hook on van as never used it yet lol will have to wait till i get near a point or plug socket

Smaug
14-10-2013, 18:32
note to ones self must check electric hook on van as never used it yet lol will have to wait till i get near a point or plug socket

As others have said, make one up to use on the driveway. I got hold of a socket & wired it to a 13A plug with a 6ft lead so I can run a wander lead from the house to the drive & plug it in.

I plug the 13A into it & tuck it under the van where it is dry. That way I can keep the leisure battery charged, add a separate mains charger for the engine battery if needed & even plug an oil heater on frost setting if the weather is really bad to reduce condensation & prevent any possible frost damage.

oldish hippy
14-10-2013, 19:32
hhave a socket on a 6 inch length of flex connected to a thriteen amm p plug

Penny13
14-10-2013, 20:25
Yes a lot to learn :) but I am getting there. Just to make you laugh I thought I was stuck in the field today ! Had handbrake on :) I know :)

Smaug
14-10-2013, 20:28
hhave a socket on a 6 inch length of flex connected to a thriteen amm p plug

Better to make it 6 foot so the plug & wanderlead will pop under the van out of sight & out of the weather.

maingate
14-10-2013, 21:05
My bought adaptor is not much more than 6 inches. When plugged in, it is in my garage where it is dry and the cable runs under the door to the van.

Any live connection for outdoor use needs to be IP65 (I think that is the right designation). That means it has to be water resistant.

Wooie1958
14-10-2013, 21:17
I got a spare Orange 16 amp EHU cable, cut it to the right length and Hard Wired it into my garage via a switch.

The excess i used to make a 10 metre EHU cable so that when we are almost on top of the bollard i don`t need to get the 25 metre one out.

I always park the van in the same place ( give or take a foot ) so the cable plugs in nicely with a little to spare.

When the van is not Hooked Up i coil the cable up and put a carrier bag ( upside down ) over the coil and hang it on a hook fixed to the side of the garage.

No need for adapters and seeing as the cable is permanently wired into the garage the ones in the locker stay put and i never forget them.

alj23
15-10-2013, 08:42
We stayed on a site a few weeks ago and whilst getting sorted in the pouring rain I plugged us in to the hook up and could not get the power to work !! talk about PANIC !!!! however I was being a bit thick and did not realise you had to put the cable in the socket and turn it to the right until it clicked !!!

Talk about embarrased when I had to ask the lovely fella in the Caravan next door for help !

Sure I am not the only one to make this mistake and have a camping panic !

AJ

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS