PDA

View Full Version : Living off-grid full time

mariesnowgoose
14-10-2013, 10:30
The article doesn't give a lot of detail, but interesting all the same.

The man who lives without money - World Observer Online (http://worldobserveronline.com/2013/10/04/man-lives-without-money/)

bluejet
14-10-2013, 10:58
That was very interesting indeed, you have to admire his commitment, but , I can come up with too many excuses as to why i just would'nt have the guts to try it.
My wife would certainly not entertain the Idea :lol-053::lol-053:

hextal
14-10-2013, 11:55
Not quite the same thing, but having decided to change from full-time to part time work i'm much happier/relaxed.

The odd thing is that I really don't notice the large pay cut that resulted from the drop in hours. But I do really notice the extra time I have to do fun things.

Seahorse
14-10-2013, 16:33
Hmmm, the man who lives without money!!

Moneyless Man, published 2010 5.75 paperback Amazon

The moneyless manifesto, published 2012, 13.60 paperback Amazon.

Both by Mark Boyle, the man who lives without money, I would have thought he would be happy to pass on all that great information for free:confused:

Am I a cynic, probably.:lol-053:

john t
14-10-2013, 16:44
The older i have got, (I'm 52) the realisation is that i don't need the things we have, but have worked long hours to achieve what i now believe is a flawed way of life. We have a huge flatscreen tv,but i'm more than happy to watch a 17" in the m/home, in the warmer weather we are either out walking the dogs, cycling, or spending time in the garden or out in the m/home. I don't miss things that are taken as the norm, i also think that living off grid so to speak is difficult to fully achieve as well, we try to do this a little at our's, log burner/lpg for hob etc, but we don't grow our own veg or keep any live stock...My bro keeps a few chickens for egg's but then limits the time away from home you can take.

So beg's the question if i were younger, would i change anything, and hindsight is great isn't it ? solar panels on the roof, log burner put in years ago, triple glazing ect, grown veg, keep chickens etc.... But for all that to happen you'd need to be in a well paid job to afford those things, and being young and good wages don't equate back then, wishful thinking is great thing to have.!

jt

kernowprickles
14-10-2013, 23:05
Hmmm, the man who lives without money!!

Moneyless Man, published 2010 5.75 paperback Amazon

The moneyless manifesto, published 2012, 13.60 paperback Amazon.

Both by Mark Boyle, the man who lives without money, I would have thought he would be happy to pass on all that great information for free:confused:

Am I a cynic, probably.:lol-053:

Definitely not! I love what someone wrote in a review of his book:

"I liked the concept of this book and I'm all for the environmental message and the re-building of communities through trust, but I just felt that, here was a man blagging his way through a year, who, although not spending money directly, relied heavily on someone else having to.

If the author really stayed true to his principles, that's if he had any to begin with, this book should never have been published, due to it's CO2 impact and use of oil in printing inks and the plastic of the matt laminate cover."

Maybe that's why you can get his books on Kindle now - but wait!! What about all the resources that go into making a KINDLE?? :scared:

Blodwyn Pig
15-10-2013, 06:47
Interesting.

CooP
15-10-2013, 11:10
He is very lucky that he can enjoy his organic beer at the pub without ever having to pay for his round...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS