PDA

View Full Version : How Much Would You Pay ?

Wooie1958
15-10-2013, 12:41
Following on from the Black Rock Sands campsite prices how much would you be prepared to pay to stay on a site ?

What`s the most expensive you`ve come across ?

There`s a Haven site ( Marton Mere ) on the outskirts of Blackpool that we pass regular when going to visit the In-Laws.

I always have a look at the " Touring Area " far back corner as you can see it from the road to see how many are on and it`s normally full.

In the height of the season ( summer holidays ) for a Motorhome, 2 adults with electric it`s in excess of £60 per night, more if you want the awning etc.

Firefox
15-10-2013, 12:44
It depends on what site and where, but max about £12 a night (inc hook up) less if it has only basic facilities.

GinaRon
15-10-2013, 12:48
A private site near Filey paid £25 per night (Ron still chuntering over this) when we get our new van hoping to stay away from sites and be self-sufficient :camper:

Firefox
15-10-2013, 13:33
Campsites aren't too bad once in a while. Can empty tanks, sometimes a launderette etc. The one at Radwell is only £4 a night (summer/autumn only) I have visited three campsites this year. Ullapool £11, Lyndon top £6, and Radwell £4.

Luckheart
15-10-2013, 13:50
It's not just the prices, I tried to phone book last Saturday night at the CCC site in Old Sarum and was told that I could not book just one night.
She said we have lots of space so just turn up Saturday, when I asked why no booking she said they (the management) don't want people to book all the weekends?? In high season I could understand (but not agree with) the idea that some people might not be able to book their 2 weeks holiday in Sarum:anyone: But mid October?

As the weather was so bad I didn't go, so now I don't have to wrest my deposit back from them.

Smaug
15-10-2013, 15:18
I pay 25-30 quid a night at Glan Llyn Bala every year & I usually end up paying a similar price for each of the kids' family tents. But it is the Annual Family gathering & my brother comes as do many of the nieces & nephews with various canoes & boats. I seldom leave the site for 3-4 days & get plenty of time on the lake too. pricey, but well worth it.

The après-Barbie gathering in the awnings is usually great entertainment too, one needs to take a well stocked "fun box" to cater for all the various alcoholic tastes.

jakekelly
15-10-2013, 15:26
10 euros for 1 night to park in site carpark south of frogland ! water &waste dump ,no lecy never again! the frogs just drove down the road & parked at the side.

antiquesam
15-10-2013, 15:43
When on a trek we wild three nights and stay on a CL with EHU for one night, so the other half can dry her hair, at about £13. Once a fortnight we stay on a Club site, so we can use the washing machines to do the dhobi. at about £18. The other advantage of the sites is you can get the BBQ out and the chairs, which I wouldn't dream of doing while wilding, and just occasionally we will use a CL without EHU at about £5.

barryd
15-10-2013, 15:57
Just got back from three months in France. Total spend for parking and services £46. Less than 50p a day. I hate paying for parking!!

Last Christmas we paid £13 a night for a CL for 2 weeks which I still think is too much. Ideally in the UK I look for CL sites that are in the middle of nowhere but with great views and about £4-5 a night. These are usually quiet as not many people want to be in the middle of nowhere and most prefer hookup these days.

So max. £12-13. Reluctantly! ;)

ecobob
15-10-2013, 16:04
We got stung around £34 for a night at Woolcombe sands holiday park. It was still just in peak season though,
don't think I'll be doing that again.

frontslide
15-10-2013, 16:09
I would not pay anything to stay on a camp site.

dr dave
15-10-2013, 16:28
Graham
We stayed at Marton Mere in April for £7.00 a night (special offer) on the way back from our tour of the highlands with EHU but to be honest that was what it was worth and no more. As regular sites go we prefer CS's at about £6 but i think £12 is the maximum we would fork out.
Dave

spigot
15-10-2013, 16:36
I also hate campsites.

But I must admit to staying on a site for 3 days this year.

Wanted to visit Barcelona, wild camping is out due to the crime rate, the police advise you not to stay on aires near the motorway. The aire in the town is expensive (35euros), is a long way from the centre & is also a $hithole.

Found a campsite (16euros) at Mataro which ran a FREE bus to Barcelona, took you into centre of town early morning & picked up 8.30pm. This was definitely a no-brainer.

Any one who pays 60 quid a night to stay on a campsite wants their head examined.

wildman
15-10-2013, 16:42
We got stung around £34 for a night at Woolcombe sands holiday park. It was still just in peak season though,
don't think I'll be doing that again.
You could have stayed at our place just up the road for £7 per 24hrs and park up on Woolacombe seafront for £7 a daytime

FULL TIMER
15-10-2013, 16:51
When we first got a caravan we used a couple of sites that were getting close to £20 per night both lovely sites and with all the facilities you could ever want, one even had a totally enclosed dog walk and shower /grooming room all included, these day's we don't need all the trimmings , we stick to CL / CS type sites never paying more than a tenner a night more likely around £5 -£7. we are on one at the moment has toilets if you need them, CD point and a few taps for fresh water, no hook-ups but does have a nice bar and café, normal fee is £5 per night but they have supplied us with a hook up for a couple of quid extra.

maxi77
15-10-2013, 17:05
How long is a bit of string. Depending on your needs and the facilities provided £5 could be too much or £25 could be very fair. Most sites we use come in between 15 and 25 with all the key services. In general I find the places run by the likes of Haven not only poor value but also pretty undesirable. I once paid £45 a night to stay in a marina but their buy 2 get one free made it almost affordable. The facilities apart from the holding tank emptying system, 45 litres of crap in minutes, were very poor, but the place has about 1200 berths and 2400 on the waiting list so don't really care.

Wooie1958
15-10-2013, 17:18
How long is a bit of string. Depending on your needs and the facilities provided £5 could be too much or £25 could be very fair. Most sites we use come in between 15 and 25 with all the key services. In general I find the places run by the likes of Haven not only poor value but also pretty undesirable. I once paid £45 a night to stay in a marina but their buy 2 get one free made it almost affordable. The facilities apart from the holding tank emptying system, 45 litres of crap in minutes, were very poor, but the place has about 1200 berths and 2400 on the waiting list so don't really care.

We`ve only ever been on 2 Holiday Parks ( both Haven ) and 1 of them i went and got my money back and we left.

The Touring area had just had a bit of Gravel / Hardcore thrown down in a corner and the handful of EHU`s were obviously an after thought.

sasquatch
15-10-2013, 17:18
I pay 25-30 quid a night at Glan Llyn Bala every year & I usually end up paying a similar price for each of the kids' family tents. But it is the Annual Family gathering & my brother comes as do many of the nieces & nephews with various canoes & boats. I seldom leave the site for 3-4 days & get plenty of time on the lake too. pricey, but well worth it.

The après-Barbie gathering in the awnings is usually great entertainment too, one needs to take a well stocked "fun box" to cater for all the various alcoholic tastes.
Stayed at Pughs site in Bala some years ago,when it was run by the father,who charged for everything!
I go up the road to Llanuchlyn,follow the signs to the lake railway, He has provision for tents and vans AND has fire pits for open fires!

Smaug
15-10-2013, 17:49
Stayed at Pughs site in Bala some years ago,when it was run by the father,who charged for everything!
I go up the road to Llanuchlyn,follow the signs to the lake railway, He has provision for tents and vans AND has fire pits for open fires!

I know it well, but this is a traditional family gathering & getting it moved is unlikely to happen. We've been meeting there for about 20 years, altho, for another 10 years prior to that we were at Barbra Evans' at Ty Isaf along the back road to Corwen. The G-kids love the river rapids in the canoe & leaping in the deep bits, plus the lake shore shelves gently for a good distance, on the other side of the lake the bottom drops away very quickly & it isn't safe for the little ones.

They still charge for extra cars, boat trailers, visitors, dogs extra tents, awnings etc etc, that why the charge gets so high. But still absolutely ideal for our needs for once a year.

Mastodon
15-10-2013, 18:17
Charging extra for dogs really grips me... "Because we have to clean up after them". In that case I'll get my dog to cr*p in reception and save them the walk...

Rant over

Mastodon
15-10-2013, 19:18
My damned animal stays with me on the rare occasions I use a site, doesn't run wild shouting and screaming at all hours of the day and night and doesn't drop litter. My actualpoint being that some sites will charge extra for having a boat on the roof or a roll up awning (despite the fact I take up less space than an "outfit").

phillybarbour
15-10-2013, 19:26
Most I pay is 45 euro per night plus electric for a fabulous site in the Italian Dolomites when skiing, but it's right on the slopes and worth every penny.

maxi77
15-10-2013, 21:50
My damned animal stays with me on the rare occasions I use a site, doesn't run wild shouting and screaming at all hours of the day and night and doesn't drop litter. My actualpoint being that some sites will charge extra for having a boat on the roof or a roll up awning (despite the fact I take up less space than an "outfit").

Dogs need extra services or at least in most sites they do, so a small fee is not a great burden. However I do agree the list of extras is almost as bad as Ryanair. I have paid up to 50% up on the list price once all the add ons have been taken into account, and that was before you counted the coin slot machine for the shower. Strangely enough it is the better sites that have simpler charging routines and at one when I asked about extra for the dog the owner said, dogs don't have pockets so no charge.

CooP
16-10-2013, 17:07
Pay? Have I logged in to the wrong forum again? :banana:

Caz
16-10-2013, 17:29
Dogs need extra services or at least in most sites they do, so a small fee is not a great burden.

I find it tends to be the sites that don't have any facilities for dogs that charge for them. As I travel alone, 99.9% of sites say "we'll count the dog as the other person and won't charge for him" but recently I stayed on a site where I was told in no uncertain terms that they couldn't make an exception for me and it was £1 extra for the dog. And what exactly were the facilities he got for his £1 per night? Zilch. He wasn't even allowed off his lead away from the camping field, and no - there wasn't any livestock to worry about as it was an arable farm. They didn't even provide a dog poo bin.

I'll pay up to £15 per night with EHU but no more than £12 without. Unfortunately my van has no heating so whilst "free" nights are ok in summer I need my comforts the rest of the year and have to use sites.

dave and mary
16-10-2013, 18:02
The idea of a m/h is I think to travel and be self sufficient, we are totally different to caravans, and basically we only need somewhere to park and to fill water and dump w/c every few days, so we do not need all the facilities that caravans seem to wont and need. I think m/h owners must be a large proportion of the members of the CC & the CCC and it is time that these clubs started to realise that we are different in our requirements, and just have an area with a tap and a w/c emptying point at a reasonable price. We are members of the CC at the moment ( it was a decision not taken lightly last renewal time ) but would never go a one of there sites because of the cost £15, £20, £25, even £30 on some private sites this to me makes a mockery of having a m/h, in some cases you can get B&B ( when on special offers ) for les than paying just to park your van. When we get our CC site book we go through it and all sites over £5 a night are scratched through, I do realise that you don't get much for £5 now a days but I don't wont much, so why pay, and there is still some lovely 5C out there for a fiver, ( found one for £3 ). We and many of you travel in Europe a lot and the Aires with a tap and a w/c dump operated by a couple of euros is great and is all we need.
Before some one says that at a fiver a night they would not make a living, no they would not, but no one runs a 5C as a living it is a little extra, we use one near Bristol when we go that way, £5 a night and the man comes in the morning collects the fivers takes the rubbish away, as he says this pays his car tax and helps with its insurance.

So to answer the question £5 is our lot

:drive: :drive:

toystory
16-10-2013, 18:17
new forest,sandyballs £60 high season any site that wants fee for dog wont see my money.i bet wintonion likes this.

Smaug
16-10-2013, 21:23
Not sure why people keep getting so heated. If you don't want to pay, you don't have to stay. If you don't like dogs & still want a site, then simply pick a site that doesn't allow them, those with dogs just need to ensure their site allows them and again, if they don't want to pay extra then just go elsewhere. Seems pretty simple to me.

I suspect that the small extra charge for dogs may well help to compensate for the small amount of revenue lost when the odd person won't stay on a dog friendly site.

Everyone is free to choose where they stay, some like the facilities & security of sites, others like the freedom of wilding, many of us mix & match to suit our needs at any given time. If you pay £100pn it doesn't affect me, if I pay £100pn it won't affect you, so why stress?

and123wills
17-10-2013, 11:50
I total agree with you, there is nothing worse then a dog owner who thinks you love their dog as much as they do, i own a springer spanial but i understand that he is a pack animal and has to be trained. I love him as my dog and a companion but i don't look at him as one of my children as some dog owners do.

Covey
17-10-2013, 13:31
I would pay £10 - £12 per night inc EHU or its Euro equivalent in Europe.

I am currently in Caceres in Southern(ish) Spain and each pitch has an 8ft square 'cabin' which is a tiled wet room with shower, washbasin and toilet. Each cabin has an outside basin and tap for dishwashing and a tap and hose pipe for refilling water tanks. The cabins are tiled inside and are quite smart and it is nice to have your own loo/shower. Water is heated by an unmetered gas heater and there is a 13amp unmetered EHU. The site has a good bar and restaurant, laundry, Wi-Fi etc etc.

Cost is €12/night ( ASCI Card) for my 8m van and myself. I think dogs are free!!

I am off to Toledo and the only site in Toledo want €35 a night, so I shall be trying to look inconspicuous in the main car park which allows overnight parking for MH's.

I know some folk don't like the Caravan Club for being too rule bound, but their warden controlled sites are (in my humble opinion) good value and deliver exactly what they say they will.

It might sound odd talking about the cost of camp sites on a Wild Camping Forum, but even if you are wild camping, I would have thought a night on a site every 4/5 days is probably a good idea to empty tanks, have a decent long shower and do the dhobi if necessary.

Toonman
17-10-2013, 13:47
Iwas looking for storage for my unit due to a covenant on our estate. I found these and could not believe the price and the last charge on the list.
Pitch and Store (http://www.deersglade.co.uk/pitch-and-store/)

Luckily I have found a place for half that price with a very friendly site owner ten miles away.

loulou
17-10-2013, 13:58
Just back from Scotland, all wilding and no fees, brilliant stops. Then back to England, headed for Seemer Water, lovely spot but steep descent 1 in 4. Sign said Pay and Display, 50p-£2, call in at the farm to get ticket. So off I went, found the farm and was told it would be £9.50 for the night, no facilities, not even a bin, just the view. Well, we knew we could do better so made the 1 in 4 climb up the hill and ended in a Wildcamping listed layby with a view, peaceful, quiet (way back from the main road and free. Near Bainbridge, N54*180432' W2*06.888'. Thank you Wildcamping.

:sleep-027::sleep-027::drive::drive:

POI Admin
17-10-2013, 14:03
Just back from Scotland, all wilding and no fees, brilliant stops. Then back to England, headed for Seemer Water, lovely spot but steep descent 1 in 4. Sign said Pay and Display, 50p-£2, call in at the farm to get ticket. So off I went, found the farm and was told it would be £9.50 for the night, no facilities, not even a bin, just the view. Well, we knew we could do better so made the 1 in 4 climb up the hill and ended in a Wildcamping listed layby with a view, peaceful, quiet (way back from the main road and free. Near Bainbridge, N54*180432' W2*06.888'. Thank you Wildcamping.

:sleep-027::sleep-027::drive::drive:

I have removed the Semer Water location from the POIs - thanks for the information :D

just jane
17-10-2013, 17:42
I hardly use sites but if I do I try to pay around £10-£12. I did pay £19 for 3 adults on a site this summer but it was beautiful, right in the middle of exmoor and it had a washing machine which was badly needed.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS