PDA

View Full Version : Lighting

David & Ann
16-10-2013, 17:12
I have had at a look at my side lights on a 2.8L Fiat Ducato 2002 and cannot fathom out if the bulbs are wedge bulbs or the bayonet type. I want to change them for Leds. There are 2 bulbs each side. Are they brighter than the standard ones?? Please can it be confirmed that they are 5W each.Your advice would be much appreciated. ☺☺

witzend
16-10-2013, 17:18
Vehicle Lighting, Bulbs, Lamps, Auto Electrical, Chargers, Battery Packs - Ring Automotive (http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/uk/content/car-bulbs) try this site

plum loco
16-10-2013, 17:34
bayonet type bulbs push in and twist like a minature light bulb the other type are much smaller and just push in,usually 5 watt.if that helps.

spigot
17-10-2013, 12:11
Not too sure about the replacement bit, aren't LEDs supposed to last for ever?

But I totally agree with the rest of it, got to be some vain fashion fad especially when you see the stupid configurations of some of these lights.

torwood
17-10-2013, 12:30
There is a proven link with daylight running lights which are compulsory on new vehicles in the EU, (although not compulsory to use in the UK - yet!) and road accidents reduction in daytime, particularly involving children. The 'Daytime Running Lights' are designed like the 'high' beam but without being strong enough to blind other road users and must be switched off during 'Lighting up times', being LED replacement in the life of the vehicle shouldn't be needed.

i do agree fully with you that at lighting up time if you need lights put on dipped headlight, only use side lights when parked. The number of 'idiots' I see happy to drive on side lights and think that because they can see me with my headlights on everyone else can see them with their sidelights only are just waiting to cause an accident!

maxi77
17-10-2013, 13:23
There is a proven link with daylight running lights which are compulsory on new vehicles in the EU, (although not compulsory to use in the UK - yet!) and road accidents reduction in daytime, particularly involving children. The 'Daytime Running Lights' are designed like the 'high' beam but without being strong enough to blind other road users and must be switched off during 'Lighting up times', being LED replacement in the life of the vehicle shouldn't be needed.

i do agree fully with you that at lighting up time if you need lights put on dipped headlight, only use side lights when parked. The number of 'idiots' I see happy to drive on side lights and think that because they can see me with my headlights on everyone else can see them with their sidelights only are just waiting to cause an accident!

I think the dangerous habit of running on sidelights after dark dates back to the days of 3rd brush dynamos when charging currents were very limited. My Austin 12 on max output produced 8 amps charging current, this gave me a maximum of 4 hours running on headlights with a good chance the car would not restart in the morning. Later better regulated dynamos could more or less balance the headlights even with the new fangled heater blower running

Of course today with ever more powerful alternators there is absolutely no justification for not using dipped headlights after dark

ps My Austin 12 had 'proper' sidelights and you could use them to see where you were going at low speed

Smaug
17-10-2013, 13:35
I have to say I have a problem with people using dipped beam before & around sunset when visibility is often easily well over a mile. The headlights make it impossible for me to actually see my side of the road (or anything behind them like a pedestrian or animal crossing the road) and still do not improve their view of the road - I know cos when I put mine on the beams are not visible on the road surface.

I believe the law says not later than 30 mins AFTER sunset please, not 30 mins or an hour before.

mark61
17-10-2013, 13:35
The LED replacement sidelight bulbs I got a few years ago (not for my van) aren't very good at all.

Smaug
17-10-2013, 13:44
The LED replacement sidelight bulbs I got a few years ago (not for my van) aren't very good at all.

In what way? failure rates, current consumption or brightness? and where are you using them?

I have a pack of 10 "contactless" on the way from China (for a quid or summat) that I plan using in my van marker lights.

Deleted user 21925
17-10-2013, 13:47

I think LED's have come on a bit now Mark. I fitted LED top markers back and front to the MH, mainly because the previous bulbs never seemed to last very long and I was fed up with changing them. (couldn't find a fault either). The LED's are great and no problems in about 15,000 miles. I plan to replace all of my bulbs with LED's apart from the headlights which is not allowed!

mark61
17-10-2013, 14:08
Current would be less then normal sidelight bulb. In the vehicle I fitted them to, the sidelight bulb is located next to the H4 headlight bulb. The light from normal sidelight bulbs would reflect in the housing giving a fairly reasonable effect. The LED's while maybe slightly brighter, don't reflect off of the reflective surface of the light unit. The overall effect is much less visible.
As has been mentioned, not of much importance as I never drive with just sidelight on.
My LED light bar on the other hand is amazing. :)

mark61
17-10-2013, 14:17
I think LED's have come on a bit now Mark. I fitted LED top markers back and front to the MH, mainly because the previous bulbs never seemed to last very long and I was fed up with changing them. (couldn't find a fault either). The LED's are great and no problems in about 15,000 miles. I plan to replace all of my bulbs with LED's apart from the headlights which is not allowed!

Very true. LED's in all other situations are great.
I'm fairly certain LED replacement sidelights are perfectly legal as long as they give a white light. Well, half certain anyway, I wouldn't take my word on it. :) lol

Apologies Rob, completely misread that bit. Yes LED headlight replacement bulbs not allowed

Smaug
17-10-2013, 14:18
Current would be less then normal sidelight bulb. In the vehicle I fitted them to, the sidelight bulb is located next to the H4 headlight bulb. The light from normal sidelight bulbs would reflect in the housing giving a fairly reasonable effect. The LED's while maybe slightly brighter, don't reflect off of the reflective surface of the light unit. The overall effect is much less visible.
As has been mentioned, not of much importance as I never drive with just sidelight on.
My LED light bar on the other hand is amazing. :)

Thanks, that's useful information. It's clearly a positioning or beam direction issue. Filament bulbs radiate in almost a sphere, LED's tend to be designed with an outward beam, which is probably aimed away from the reflector. Something else to keep in mind!!:juggle:

mark61
17-10-2013, 14:29
Have just checked on Phoenix auto bulbs site (http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/sc/led-sidelight-bulbs/), and as Rob says, LED's have come along way in a few years, I'm a little behind the times and I'm not going to pay 19 for a pair of new sidelight bulbs. lol.

I think I'm right in saying that the Canbus bulbs don't use any less current as the resistor has to fool the bulb failure feature of modern vehicles. One step forward two back.

sparrks
17-10-2013, 15:53
I use some simliar to these 2 x ERROR FREE CANBUS W5W T10 501 LED SIDE LIGHT BULB 9 SMD - Xenon White | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-ERROR-FREE-CANBUS-W5W-T10-501-LED-SIDE-LIGHT-BULB-9-SMD-Xenon-White-/251320087289?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a83d832f9) Had no problems in the 2 years they have been fitted to both car and van.

maxi77
17-10-2013, 16:29
The Austin 12 had neither heater or snazy dipping mechanisms for the headlights. I achieved the dipping effect by fitting double element bulbs which dipped enough for the MOT. Mind you with alternator ignition if you did have a dud battery the engine still ran. My first car with a real heater was a Standard 10, when it got hot you needed to top up the radiator.

I remember my father getting his first car, second hand but in the early 50s he still had to go on a waiting list for it. As he only had a national service driving permit he had to have L plates and be supervised by my mother who had managed to get a full licence during the war without sitting her test

maxi77
17-10-2013, 16:34
Thanks, that's useful information. It's clearly a positioning or beam direction issue. Filament bulbs radiate in almost a sphere, LED's tend to be designed with an outward beam, which is probably aimed away from the reflector. Something else to keep in mind!!:juggle:

I agree a lot of the leds sold just now are probably not much cop for driving lights but on the other hand they are great for habitation lighting

mark61
17-10-2013, 16:55
The Austin 12 had neither heater or snazy dipping mechanisms for the headlights. I achieved the dipping effect by fitting double element bulbs which dipped enough for the MOT. Mind you with alternator ignition if you did have a dud battery the engine still ran. My first car with a real heater was a Standard 10, when it got hot you needed to top up the radiator.

I remember my father getting his first car, second hand but in the early 50s he still had to go on a waiting list for it. As he only had a national service driving permit he had to have L plates and be supervised by my mother who had managed to get a full licence during the war without sitting her test

So what happened with on coming vehicles? Or weren't headlights bright enough to blind. What was the general feeling back then when these items become common fittings on cars, were they welcomed or did people think they were pointless additions, more things to go wrong etc, like we tend to think these day with all the electronic gizmos, I mean do we really need automatic windscreen wipers. Some things I have come to really like though, multi function steering wheel, indicators you just tap and they'll flash 3 times. How on earth did I manage without them. ;) Now there is side wind assist too.

Smaug
17-10-2013, 17:48
The other point was that cars mostly had 6v batteries & dynamos back then. I can remember filling, lighting & putting out an oil lamp (with a bit of wire jammed in the door to stop it being nicked) with a red painted globe as a parking light cos the battery would not support a small bulb for a week of nights (don't forget you only used your car at the weekend, cos everyone went to work on the bus, a bike or walked).

sparrks
17-10-2013, 17:58
This thread is like being part of a living museum :D

Smaug
17-10-2013, 21:01
This thread is like being part of a living museum :D

One day my lad, you'll be able to pass all this wonderful history on to your G-Kids. They'll either not have a clue what you are on about, or simply not give a damn! :wacko:

maxi77
17-10-2013, 21:09
Ooooooops. post in haste repent at leisure yes I did mean magneto.

sparrks
17-10-2013, 21:12
One day my lad, you'll be able to pass all this wonderful history on to your G-Kids. They'll either not have a clue what you are on about, or simply not give a damn! :wacko:

Unfortunately probably the latter. :( No doubt want to know how quick the internet connection is.

My Pug has speed sensitive wipers. Not much use if going at Motorway speeds in light rain - as they are on almost constantly. Neither are they much use at low speed in slightly heavier rain as the gap between wipes is too large. What ever happened to manually ajustable settings?

Also it has an Eco mode to save the battery that requires starting the engine to close the power windows - That really saves the battery.... NOT! Progress????

maxi77
17-10-2013, 21:18
So what happened with on coming vehicles? Or weren't headlights bright enough to blind. What was the general feeling back then when these items become common fittings on cars, were they welcomed or did people think they were pointless additions, more things to go wrong etc, like we tend to think these day with all the electronic gizmos, I mean do we really need automatic windscreen wipers. Some things I have come to really like though, multi function steering wheel, indicators you just tap and they'll flash 3 times. How on earth did I manage without them. ;) Now there is side wind assist too.

I must admit that having started driving with vacuum wipers, cable brakes crash gearboxes, simple parabolic reflector headlight effectively permanently dipped, hand cranked starts, autovac petrol pumps, etc etc, I like all the modern gizmos on cars and our motorhome.

trevskoda
17-10-2013, 21:22
they are called day running lights ,required for safety,same as some motorbikes.
led bulb replacment can be found on ebay ,i have fitted them ,some times you have to modify socked ,hole in lamp ,or holder,
not always though.
they are pure white and verry bright + if parked up they only use about a 10/ of a watt.
change your tail bulbs as well & any running lights.
ps also you can get house hold ones now my lecky bill down 40 bucks last quarter,hole house paid back in six mths,total
cost on ebay from china about 80 squidily didileys.

Smaug
17-10-2013, 21:46
I must admit that having started driving with vacuum wipers, cable brakes crash gearboxes, simple parabolic reflector headlight effectively permanently dipped, hand cranked starts, autovac petrol pumps, etc etc, I like all the modern gizmos on cars and our motorhome.

Damn, you beat me to it! :wacko:

Driving up a hill in my old 3-speed, side valve Ford & as the throttle increases to keep the speed up, the vacuum falls & the bloody wipers slow down & stop - usually just as a large lorry comes down the hill splattering my windscreen with muck. I used to have to open the window & put my arm out to wipe the outside of the screen!

oh, yes, great fun!

mark61
18-10-2013, 09:06
It may not be necessary, but driving with headlights is either law or recommended in most of Europe. It's also law that new vehicles are fitted with DRL's, (apart from in the UK I think)
The LED DRL's naturally use a fraction of the power that headlights use so there is a big push for them.

In the UK I believe it is the the motor bike lobbyist who are against DRL on cars, truck etc as they feel they will become less conspicuous in a sea of headlights. I think they have a good point as far as congested cities are concerned.

I think the dim dip lights were a great idea, implemented in the UK in the 80's sometime. Not meant as a DRL's, but at least people couldn't drive with sidelights alone. I seem to remember the EU banned them, or something like that.

torwood
18-10-2013, 09:14
It may not be necessary, but driving with headlights is either law or recommended in most of Europe. It's also law that new vehicles are fitted with DRL's, (apart from in the UK I think)
The LED DRL's naturally use a fraction of the power that headlights use so there is a big push for them.....
Mark

It is compulsory on all new vehicles in the UK to have DRL fitted, however it is not compulsory in the UK to use them (Yet!). In the UK they are allowed to be configured off by default. Your point about LEDs is correct there is a small fuel saving per vehicle than conventional lights, while an owner may not notice it in the bank, it does add up in terms of carbon reduction.

mark61
18-10-2013, 09:27
Mark

It is compulsory on all new vehicles in the UK to have DRL fitted, however it is not compulsory in the UK to use them (Yet!). In the UK they are allowed to be configured off by default. Your point about LEDs is correct there is a small fuel saving per vehicle than conventional lights, while an owner may not notice it in the bank, it does add up in terms of carbon reduction.

Ahh, thanks. That all make sense now. My van does have the option to run with headlights on permanently, via a menu screen. I guess this option is just deleted in Europe

spigot
18-10-2013, 13:13

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS