PDA

View Full Version : NEC - Discounts (not), senior moment and tips

Touringtheworld
16-10-2013, 21:39
Had a lovely day out at the NEC today with Doris. Good job she was with me (my future carer I reckon :-) ). We did the usual, scan everything once - relax - discuss our viewings over lunch, decide which needs closer attention. I was determined I was purchasing a few items.

Full on buying mode - then the voice of reason (Doris) mentions "you have an internet phone, why don't you check the prices"

Well no names, no pack drill (to protect the innocent)

Example One - Normally 199.99 BUT SHOW PRICE - 149.99 if you order now. The companies own website - Exactly the same thing 99.99 that's 99.99 delivered.

Example Two - Regular Price 85.00 todays discount 10.00 = 75.00 - The Companies own website - Exactly the same thing 69.00 delivered.

Example Three - Today only - was 729.00 now 660.00 - The Companies own website - Exactly the same thing 669.00 with more equipment which is needed but did not come with the show 'bargain' They were available but at an extra cost, yes you guessed it, a show special price of 69.00.

Got to touch and feel the goods though - which is a good thing. We are actually going to buy example one (from the website) but have totally rejected the idea of examples two and three after the touchy feely test. We found that after really wanting them for ages they were actually a far different animal close up and personal than the pictures on the net and glossy magazines.

Bugger - ended up leaving with two carrier bags full of brochures, some Welsh Garlic Cheese and a hat for Doris.

The Senior Moment

This is where the carer bit comes in - I couldn't find my car (should have gone in the MH), had to seek help from the car park guys (eventually after checking 12,000 acres of car parking) who were great and pointed me in the right direction. We had come within 50 metres of it at least a dozen times.

Tips

Thoroughly check where you are parked ie North 3, Red 2 or like us N1A (my excuse was it was a on a different sign to all the rest) or take your MH.
Be prepared for massive delays if heading for the M42 north, they have discovered oil or gold on the route and closed most of it off. Don't worry it only adds about an hour to your journey, which is nice.
To be honest I don't really advocate taking to my own food to such events but the food was pants and overpriced. Over charge by all means but please have a good level of quality. Cooking it a week ago and keeping it in a luke warm pan just doesn't cut it.
Buy your other half a hat.
....... and some Welsh Garlic Cheese.

Enjoy :-)

Captain Biggles
17-10-2013, 04:17
Interesting read, but why, oh why, oh why "....no names, no pack drill...." ?

If your comments are accurate & true, which I'm sure they are, then why not tell us what the Company name is, it really would make sense and be more interesting, otherwise it's all a bit pointless.

it might also save us poor unfortunates who have yet to attend from falling into the trap that you have clearly highlighted.....

Bushtrekker
17-10-2013, 04:47
Got to touch and feel the goods though - which is a good thing. We are actually going to buy example one (from the website) but have totally reject

The Senior Moment

This is where the carer bit comes in - I couldn't find my car (should have gone in the MH), had to seek help from the car park guys (eventually after checking 12,000 acres of car parking) who were great and pointed me in the right direction. We had come within 50 metres of it at least a dozen times.

I set the car as a waypoint on my handheld GPS, which is a lot easier than trying to find it.

Be prepared for massive delays if heading for the M42 north, they have discovered oil or gold on the route and closed most of it off. Don't worry it only adds about an hour to your journey, which is nice.

Also look out for the stupid lane system which is aimed at getting you onto the toll road whether you need to or not. If I put almost any route from here (Cannock) to anywhere on the planet into Google Maps it always tries to take me down the toll road because I live close to one end of it.

Enjoy :-)[/QUOTE]

phillybarbour
17-10-2013, 06:13
I bought a Thetford C250 cassette (so I have 2 for wilding) inc seat replacement and a large box of free fluid samples 4 litres in total for well below what i could find on the net, but I did check before buying, ps from CAK tanks stand.

ricc
17-10-2013, 07:12
take a couple of pics on yer mobile of the signs where you park.

abroad i often take a pic of a landmark, shop or whatever.... even if you dont speak the lingo showing a local a pic will get you pointed in the right direction.

lotusanne
17-10-2013, 07:45
Very interesting and useful post, will def check out prices of anything I am interested in now. Quite shocking that they can be so ruthlessly deceptive though - though why am I surprised, the world of sales is full of similar stories, people charge what they can get away with, and looks like at the NEC they can get away with a lot! You probably feel having gone all that way and paid for a ticket that you should go away with something... and effectively we are unwittingly paying the exhibitors charges! But as said, its the opportunity to touch and feel pluse all the vans to look around that is sp good. THanks for the tips :)

Andy75
17-10-2013, 07:46
Similar to Bushtrekker, I would recommend a "find my car" app for the phone. We use it when going to the larger Game fairs, and gets you with a few metres all the time :dance: Most of the m also come with timers, in case you buy a 2 hour ticket (for example) and will set off an alarm with time for you to walk from where you are, back to the car before the ticket expires. Very handy!

Touringtheworld
17-10-2013, 08:02
....... I could have just enjoyed my day and not let technology interfere.
The examples were a ladder, a bike rack and an awning. If you are going you will be able to match the prices with the products.
The innocent is me - companies can get extremely arsey about things posted on the internet.

My post was tongue in cheek not a definitive guide to the show.

I am sure there will be bargains as well as Welsh Cheese.

Kontiki
17-10-2013, 15:12
I had no trouble finding the van, got there early & was directed to the disabled parking near the entrance to hall 6. We were parked about 50 metres from the door, handy for popping back for a rest & coffee. Wasn't really looking to buy anything & didn't, insurance is due the end of the month so checked on what they would offer. Got a good deal with Safeguard, went through the quote, said it wsn't low enough, got show discount & a bit more. Then wife had a go on the spin the wheel game & won a multi tool. Asked if I could have a go as well as insurance would be in my name, wheel stopped in between a prize & 50 off insurance. Got an extra 50 off quote, works out a bit less than we paid last year but includes European breakdown cover.

Looked at a few of the new vans that aren't quite as wide (about 4inches thinner) & with better payload. The Cathargo compact seemed to be well equipped & good payload for MGW of 3.5 ton. Thinking about the future as 70 is only a couple of years away, if we do change vans I will possibly need to consider a van that can be downplated.

BTW liked the new cheese (brandy & port) that the Snowdonia cheese stand were selling, we meant to buy some but forgot. Waited until after 7 pm before we left as it sounded like the traffic was really heavy leaving the NEC. Glad we did as we had a nice easy drive back.

Frances
17-10-2013, 15:28
We were there on Tuesday. Took the motorhome so no problem finding our way back to it. Didn't buy anything. Got free tea and biscuits. But best of all - I got to drive a motorhome and the lady instructor give me lots of sympathy for never getting to drive our own!
:D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS