PDA

View Full Version : Grip Mats

spigot
19-10-2013, 16:37
Bought a pair of those yellow, ribbed, plastic grip mats from the NEC.

On examining them at home, they look pretty flimsy & seem as though they'd shoot straight out if I placed them under the wheels in a muddy field.

But I may be wrong, has anyone out there had the occasion to use these things?

torwood
19-10-2013, 16:41
I currently have a set of six grip mats!

made them myself from three plastic bread baskets - cut the sides off then split the base of it along the long axis and you have one pair. Affordable, durable and light. I have self recovered mine and other vehicles using them.

outtolunch
19-10-2013, 17:46
I have a set of the thin yellow grip maps and they worked ok on the type25 vw when slipping on wet grass up an incline but they were useless in other cases on bigger vans in a muddy field, these days I still use them to park the drive wheeels on when setting up in festivals fields this helps reduce the sinking in and gives enough grip to start moving off where I know in certain cases if I had not used them I would have had trouble .
I am not the only one to do this and have seen other vans parked on grip mats.

so they are not totally useless so dont binn them just yet as they take up hardly any room in the locker

Wooie1958
19-10-2013, 18:03
Bought a pair of those yellow, ribbed, plastic grip mats from the NEC.

On examining them at home, they look pretty flimsy & seem as though they'd shoot straight out if I placed them under the wheels in a muddy field.

But I may be wrong, has anyone out there had the occasion to use these things?

I have a set of 4 and use them 1 under each wheel whenever i park on grass dry or wet. My van is 4,100 Kgs and they are still fine after 6 years of use.

It only takes a minute to pop them under each wheel and in all my years i`ve never been stuck

The main thing is they spread the load and i`m always amazed and the divot left after i move especially after 3 or 4 days.

What they do is give you the grip to start moving even in the wettest conditions and even a heavy dew can cause problems.

They work for me and i would happily recommend them.

rockape
19-10-2013, 18:09
I currently have a set of six grip mats!

made them myself from three plastic bread baskets - cut the sides off then split the base of it along the long axis and you have one pair. Affordable, durable and light. I have self recovered mine and other vehicles using them. Done the same myself, I love a bargain. another tip is to tie a strong cord to the crate and to the rear bumper so when you are clear of the mud and SH one T you do not have to go and retrieve them from the mud.

Sparks
19-10-2013, 18:30
Post Deleted

Kontiki
19-10-2013, 19:39
Had a pairs for years, used them a couple of times to get out of trouble. They can help but not if it really if the ground gets very soft.

ivecotrucker
19-10-2013, 19:41
At 4,250 Kg GVW the plastic bread trays helped us avoid an excess divot hole on damp grass but the slightest wheel slip if wet & muddy started to melt the plastic tray material so these days we park up on slabs of 1" thick exterior grade ply, painted & sprinkled with fine sand before the paint dries (repeated several times) - no divot holes & no wheel slip. Never tried those thin yellow pay-for plastic things - they don't look very substantial to me.

QFour
19-10-2013, 19:59

Got a couple of these in the locker. Blocks of wood as well. If we finish up on a slope they are great with wood blocks. Also used under front wheels to stop them sinking in overnight and for getting out of a couple of fields that we were told would be Ok. They bend a bit but boy are they strong ....

Tbear
19-10-2013, 20:27
Flimsy yellow things work fine for me but we are fairly light.

Richard

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS