PDA

View Full Version : What would you expect?

Smaug
20-10-2013, 12:02
Ok, so we go to meets to be sociable, but wild camping in essence is actually about getting away from it all & "intrusions" may not be welcome, so what's your view on the following?

You are parked up for the evening (& Night) and another van comes along, would you expect them to;-

park as far away as possible, or park right alongside you?

Would you pop over to say "Hello", or draw your curtains?

If they shut their curtains & put the telly on, would you be disappointed or relieved?

Even on a campsite, sat outside the van, we are often set up so that you have van, people, van, people etc so communication requires you to wander round to see you neighbours - so would you do that, or would prefer them to stay on their own side of their van?

torwood
20-10-2013, 12:59
Hi Smaug answers in order;

Park as far away as possible, my own approach is that if someone is in a wildcamping spot before us unless it is a really remote location we would move on so as not to create the impression of mobbing an area, but failing that as far from the other camper as practicable.
I would take a walk outside and if they looked approachable, I would say hello and exchange 'war' stories! But if they have put up the barricades And show no friendly signs I avoid them!
Disappointed because I take people as I find them and try to have an open door approach.
Our van has the habitation door on the offside so we are often 'face to face', we don't mind and we like communicate with our neighbours! However we are not offended if they are unsocial.

David & Ann
20-10-2013, 13:35
When I park up I always take a stroll around to seize up the MH's and area. If they are friendly I don't hesitate to chat, if I feel they want to be alone I steer well away but still stay Hi if and when we cross paths. ☺☺

Wooie1958
20-10-2013, 14:26
1, Park as far away as possible.

2, Depends on the reaction you get when you catch their eye.

3, Neither disappointed or relieved. If that`s what they want to do then so be it.

4, No comment.

Earlier this year we was up at Tongue on the Causeway and was the only vehicle there.

About 8pm another Motorhome pulled in and parked so close i`d have struggled to open the cab door if i`d needed to.

He jumped out and famously said " Room for a little one " ? to which i went out and said " Yeah sure, but not that Bloody Close " .

He jumped back in his van and cleared off.

jann
20-10-2013, 14:53
We prefer not to park where there are other vans. However if there is plenty of room and it is somewhere we really like , we will park as far away as we can. If we see someone else who is already there or if someone arrives after us, we will wave and acknowledge them. If we are both outside at the same time we will say hallo and perhaps get into conversation if they want to. The whole idea behind wild camping is to get away from it all .

When we are abroad we use aires most of the time so we expect to be with other people, but we would never go to someone's van to start a conversation, only if we were both outside.

Smaug
20-10-2013, 15:06
I suppose I should admit my own foibles too . . . :dance:

If I arrive at my chosen spot & there is already someone there then whether I stay or not depends on the sort of site. If a large car park, I will stay, but at a reasonable distance so as not to be overlooking their windows (or them mine). If it is a small picnic spot or rural layby, I will probably drive on so as not to annoy the locals. But I always like to go & have a nose at other outfits for a chat & have always found people to be friendly, helpful & welcoming.

If I am already in a spot & someone else arrives I will probably not move myself & I will say Hi & have a chat about where they've been & where they're going. I've learned of a few good places to visit that way.

This year in Northern Ireland we met a couple at the Carrick a Rede rope bridge, we were chatting generally & then discovered that we were both in motorhomes. We then saw them several times as we moved around the area until we were both on the same ferry over to the Republic where we must have chosen different routes.

maingate
20-10-2013, 15:39
I carry a Grenade launcher on the off chance I meet you Mr Smaug. :p

Apart from that I don't mind what anyone does. :dance:

mark61
20-10-2013, 15:55
Always check out the women onboard before coming to any hasty decision. :)

frontslide
20-10-2013, 16:18
I am a very polite person but also reclusive when parking for the night.

Tbear
20-10-2013, 16:26
1, Park where practical but not on top of us

2, I would speak or friendly wave if I caught their eye

3, Neither

4, We try to avoid having to sit looking at another van. Nice view much better.

Richard

mariesnowgoose
20-10-2013, 16:28
I reckon Smaug has started this thread cos he's really just touting for some other doggers :lol-061: ;) :wave: :)

Smaug
20-10-2013, 16:31
I reckon Smaug has started this thread cos he's really just touting for some other doggers :lol-061: ;) :wave: :)

That's the best offer I have had so far . . . :heart:

Gee
20-10-2013, 16:38
For some reason as soon as we let the dogs out for a dump, fire up the genny and empty the potty they always disappear. Strange cause I love people really. Perhaps its the mohicans and tattoos my fellow gang members have or our liking for loud rave music. Can't understand it really......
PS this is a frivolous tongue in cheek post. Sorry boring Sunday at work.....

QFour
20-10-2013, 16:42
We parked up for the night and I took the dog for a walk. Came back and someone had parked about 3ft from the door. Not very sociabale so we moved ....

Smaug
20-10-2013, 16:47
We parked up for the night and I took the dog for a walk. Came back and someone had parked about 3ft from the door. Not very sociabale so we moved ....

In a lovely secluded spot on Islay we were joined by a couple in an old converted ambulance & the lady told us that finding someone at a spec reassured her it would be "OK" to stop there. It was partly thinking of her comment that prompted this thread.

I am sure that some wilders look for another van & are possibly drawn to it "for safety". Yet in threads about attacks on vans, it is often groups of vans to gether that seem to get targeted rather than single vans off the beaten track.

shawbags
20-10-2013, 17:08
I always park well clear to give people privacy , if they want a chat they will come over, i they park too close i will tell them ,i was once told the distance you park from another van is about the distance you could flick a tea bag with a spoon ,works for me but i don half get through some tea bags :wacko::wacko: :lol-053: .

Smaug
20-10-2013, 17:12
I always park well clear to give people privacy , if they want a chat they will come over, i they park too close i will tell them ,i was once told the distance you park from another van is about the distance you could flick a tea bag with a spoon ,works for me but i don half get through some tea bags :wacko::wacko: :lol-053: .

Don't sites (& exemption certificates) insist on 6mtrs for fire safety reasons? Sounds like a good minimum distance to me & a good way of "encouraging" over friendly people to move away a bit.

vwalan
20-10-2013, 17:30
if you want to be 6m apart then use campsites . better not use too many aires if france in the high season . might say 56 campers in the book but usually that means 76 . when wilding there are no rules . going wild isnt about getting annoyed or being un sociable . its not meant to be that sort of wild . ha ha .
tell us where you are going and we can all turn up and you can be very wild . hee hee .

mark61
20-10-2013, 17:36
Even seen people blocked in on aires they've parked so close.

vwalan
20-10-2013, 17:42
i,ve seen the old aire by roscoff port up on the hill so crowded you would never think so many could fit on the carpark.
yet no fall outs .

Smaug
20-10-2013, 18:20
Aires are a different situation & a different country. I was specifically referring to wilding.

Others mentioned the people who arrive & park at 3' away, I have never experienced this myself, but I would probably move on if it happened & I couldn't talk 'em into being sensible. The 6mtr idea is a way of providing some leverage to encourage sensible spacing. If you think otherwise, I suggest you reread the thread properly.

You may enjoy parking all on top of each other in a hot sweaty climate, but to me that is hell rather than heaven. Just as well really, cos there isn't much room in the UK, & the more of you that run off overseas, the better it is for the sensible ones that enjoy UK.

vwalan
20-10-2013, 18:57
but there no rules to wilding . why do you keep inventing rules . aires started by folk wilding in france etc . spreading out just makes other folk think you are treating it as a campsite .
as to being sensible it makes much more sense not to spread out .
rules are for campsites are you on the right forum .

Smaug
20-10-2013, 19:05
but there no rules to wilding . why do you keep inventing rules . aires started by folk wilding in france etc . spreading out just makes other folk think you are treating it as a campsite .
as to being sensible it makes much more sense not to spread out .
rules are for campsites are you on the right forum .

You just being an eedjit for the helluvit or have you got stuck that way? :lol-053:

vwalan
20-10-2013, 19:12
it does say .the wild,fun & friendly motorhome community on the top banner . being grumpy or frightening other m,homers not to stop by you isnt being friendly , smile your on candid camera . ha ha .
but does it matter really . many friends are made by chatting to others . some of the remarks on here arent in the spirit of being friendly . more in the, i was here first go away mode .
isnt this exactly what makes the uk so anti most things . were is the friendship thing that other countries have .

kernowprickles
20-10-2013, 19:14
Common sense and consideration go a long way!!

I must admit I DON'T like people parking very close to me, but as others have said, it's the norm abroad in the Aires, and something you accept in France, because if we all spaced ourselves out, it'd seriously cut down the number of campers. Fortunately, we only stayed on a few like that, the worst was at Sete down on the Med, probably because it was free and right by the beach!

We wouldn't park right next to someone if there was room to move further away. This seems to go against the herd instinct for some, but it isn't just on wild spots it happens. Park in an isolated corner of a supermarket car park, especially with the motorhome, and you'll come back to find cars parked either side of you, and you have to struggle to get in. All part of life's rich tapestry!!
:camper::scared::camper:

GinaRon
20-10-2013, 19:49
We have only done the occasional overnighter and we do try to park not to close - to give privacy. We have stayed on small CL sites and always say hello and if people want to chat quite happy to chat but if they don't fine too. Take people as we find them. We do find that there are many people who do not want to even say hello - fine too. With the new van we will be more self sufficient and will wild camp more - if we arrive somewhere and there is someone already there and there does not seem enough room we would move on. If someone arrives and parks too close - well as long as I can get out of the van that is fine because we will probably be moving on next day so not a problem. :wave: :welcome:
:camper:

Wooie1958
20-10-2013, 20:07
Aires are a different situation & a different country. I was specifically referring to wilding.

Others mentioned the people who arrive & park at 3' away, I have never experienced this myself, but I would probably move on if it happened & I couldn't talk 'em into being sensible. The 6mtr idea is a way of providing some leverage to encourage sensible spacing. If you think otherwise, I suggest you reread the thread properly.

You may enjoy parking all on top of each other in a hot sweaty climate, but to me that is hell rather than heaven. Just as well really, cos there isn't much room in the UK, & the more of you that run off overseas, the better it is for the sensible ones that enjoy UK.

Hear Hear, well said.

shawbags
20-10-2013, 21:30
I always try to park as not to invade on peoples privacy but if it was the difference between parking overnight or not i would'nt move on ,sometimes you have no choice ,as for chatting and making friends i will talk to anyone as BT says "Its good to talk" ,other times as like anyone else i like my me time so then they can all bugger off!! :lol-049:.

kimbowbill
20-10-2013, 22:31
Up in Scotland a couple of years ago, found this really nice spot, large car park, no other vans there, we went right up in the far corner, away from entrance, only been there about 1/2 hour when another van came and parked about 3 inch away from me, i couldn't open my side door to get out they were that close, so i got out my driver side and asked why they had parked so close, he replied "your in my spot" :lol-049::lol-049::lol-049:
couldn't believe it, i thought this only happened in working mens clubs when you sit in someone's seat, anyhow, all the time my partner never said a word, we just moved, we drove up a little lane which i didn't think was accessible, but we got up, found the most amazing spot, he came wandering over and commented what a nice spot it was, and that he might come up, my partner turned round and used a few choice words :cool1: :raofl: the cheek of it.

i always give people space where ever possible, but people seem to park close to me, i might talk, depends if i catch their eye, usually if they have dogs we end up talking but i don't really mind where they park. as long as the dogs aren't yapping and kids aren't screaming lol

barryd
20-10-2013, 22:43
I always try to park as far away as possible from other vans. DOnt mind a chat or even a beer but I hate being on top of other vans. What does my nut in though is that some appear to be the opposite. I remember one spot this summer in the French Alps. I found a superb wild spot with probably 2 acres of space. Unfortunately it was visable all around the valley and it wasnt long before 1, 2, 3 and finally 4 other vans came in. They could have gone anywhere. We had enough space to hold several football games and superb views where ever you parked but what did they do? Park right next to us, all of em! Like bloody sheep. Why? If its a safety thing I would just like to say now for the record that if the mad axeman or phantom gas attacker comes to get you in the night, I will be the one tearing off up the road in me van and not coming to your rescue!

Its the same on Aires. I never stay on the busy ones but you can still guarentee that if your the only van in there some twonk will come and park 3 ft from your door.

Wind Dancer
20-10-2013, 23:24
I would usually opt for parking well away, but I would wave and have a chat if appropriate. I think things are very subjective though.

On my first proper WC trip I pulled up at a spot and there was another MH there, so I parked a good distance away. I ended up chatting to the people and when they realised I was solo they said they would move alongside incase I had any bother in the night.

Last month near Ullapool I parked up late, and (for the first time) close to the only other MH there, but it was the only space not on a steep incline!
They waved cheerily in the morning. :)

By coincidence I parked up at a great spot at Loch Garve, well away from another MH, but we met up whilst walking in the morning and turned out we'd met previously on the Orkney Isles!!

The most exasperating situation was when I parked bang in the middle of a huge car park in Charmouth, well away from the other cars that were parked around edges. When I returned from my walk all the other cars had gone, however as I rounded the van to get to the side door I was gob smacked to discover a car parked right up against it! The man was still there and cheerily said ' THREE dogs! That looks like hard work!' I replied with a smile 'It will be trying to get them back in the van!' :lol-049:

The thing is, he was genuinely surprised and only then realised what he had done! He offered to move.

MATS
21-10-2013, 07:34
It's a free world when you wild camp - no campsite rules so vans can do what they like. I would have no hesitation parking up my van allowing maybe 10 feet minimum between the next van if I can and that is it - give them a wave when sorting out my chocks, chairs, awning, bbq etc then tie up my barking dog with the chain. I never understand though why a lot of the vans always move on - still at least that is the view sorted.

Smaug
21-10-2013, 09:30
It's a free world when you wild camp - no campsite rules so vans can do what they like. I would have no hesitation parking up my van allowing maybe 10 feet minimum between the next van if I can and that is it - give them a wave when sorting out my chocks, chairs, awning, bbq etc then tie up my barking dog with the chain. I never understand though why a lot of the vans always move on - still at least that is the view sorted.

You forgot about the three unwashed kids & the goats.

MATS
21-10-2013, 10:53
You forgot about the three unwashed kids & the goats.

yep, and the wife hanging her week old knickers to air....

QFour
21-10-2013, 18:13
Been nice if they had left room to put the chairs out. As it was we would have struggled to open the locker and get the chairs out.

It also happened to me many years ago near Harwich. We were on a pub site but they had a large camping field. We set the CARAVAN up and put the awning on ( Continental Van so awning on wrong side ). Following day we were out most of the day. Came back and we had a caravan with awning so close you could not get between the awnings. So we just shut the curtains. Turned out that he kept his caravan there and it was his pitch. Funny how people claim land that doesn't belong to them ......

Tbear
21-10-2013, 21:19
When we first started, we used to park near (not on top of) other vans as we guessed that they new more than us so where parking in the best area. The more experience we have the further we tend to move away. I confess even now I like a farmhouse or van in line of site if I am on my own.
When some one gets a little close, maybe they just need a gentle hint.

Richard

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS