PDA

View Full Version : Whitby / Pickering area

AL8
21-10-2013, 15:06
Hi. A bit of an 'emergency', 2 vans need parking tonight in this are. We are too late for the Pickering Antique Centre, Whitby is plastered no camper an signs.An ideas please? As I finish my coffee & before we head off searching...Thanks in advance, Peter

noarlunga
21-10-2013, 16:12
Hi. A bit of an 'emergency', 2 vans need parking tonight in this are. We are too late for the Pickering Antique Centre, Whitby is plastered no camper an signs.An ideas please? As I finish my coffee & before we head off searching...Thanks in advance, Peter

As you head inland out of Whitby, don't turn left towards Pickering but carry straight on for a couple of miles. There's a NT car park on the left where we've spent some quiet nights during the folk festival. It's in your poi s But maybe you haven't got them in a sat nav.

frontslide
21-10-2013, 16:14
CR Horcum in the POI's off the A169 heading towards Whitby on the right just before Saltersgate.
Also here http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2360211

AL8
08-11-2013, 13:54
Firstly, many thanks for the replies.

Secondly, we saw the area just outside Whitby, but it was a wild night, so my mate vetoed there. We ended up at the Hole Of Horcum - although, that is now 'No Overnights', as we noticed in the morning.

Another night, we stayed in the car park of this pub. 5 per unit:
Beaconsfield arms
2 Flamborough Road
Bridlington
YO15 2HX
01262 402551

Happy Wilding to all, Peter

POI Admin
08-11-2013, 14:16
Firstly, many thanks for the replies.

Secondly, we saw the area just outside Whitby, but it was a wild night, so my mate vetoed there. We ended up at the Hole Of Horcum - although, that is now 'No Overnights', as we noticed in the morning.

Another night, we stayed in the car park of this pub. 5 per unit:
Beaconsfield arms
2 Flamborough Road
Bridlington
YO15 2HX
01262 402551

Happy Wilding to all, Peter

Thanks for the updates - I've removed the Hole of Horcum from the POIs.

The Beaconsfield Arms didn't used to charge for an overnight stop. Do you have to pay this if you eat and drink in the pub?

Amethyst
08-11-2013, 18:27
Also there is now a parking meter at Hole of Horcum :(

Rob

landyrubbertramp
10-11-2013, 07:48
A lot if the signs are illegal the council use scare tactics so read up on the excellent post from members here as it will help you long term

AL8
18-11-2013, 09:26
Thanks for the updates - I've removed the Hole of Horcum from the POIs.

The Beaconsfield Arms didn't used to charge for an overnight stop. Do you have to pay this if you eat and drink in the pub?As I understood, it's a flat rate of 5 per night per unit, but absolutely no pressure to use the pub. You may be able to negotiate if you intend eating etc in the pub.

Also there is now a parking meter at Hole of Horcum :(

RobYes, I think the meter starts at 8am, but it's on the meter where is says 'No Overnighting' or such-like.
It's clearly not a popular move with the local lorry drivers, who showed there protest by hitting their horns, throughout the night, as the drove past us 'illegals'.

A lot if the signs are illegal the council use scare tactics so read up on the excellent post from members here as it will help you long termYes, I agree, although I fear that many of 'us' are our own worst enemy.
I'm very grateful that people, that know the law better than I, are prepared to call the Councils into question.
On a more generally note, I found Yorkshire very 'camper' unfriendly, or maybe I should say that it was certainly not 'camper' welcoming. I'm not talking about wildcamping, just the general attitude, with 'No Motorcaravans' (as in Whitby) signs here & there. It's a shame because I like Yorkshire, but with so many 'easier' places to visit, I'll be spending my 'Holiday Pounds' in other parts of the Country - Yorkshire's loss is somewhere elses gain.

yorkslass
18-11-2013, 20:41
what"s ironic, is the fact that Yorkshire tourism are busy promoting the Yorkshire leg of the tour de france next year, and what does that attract, lots of campers. ooops

Burtie
18-11-2013, 21:51
what"s ironic, is the fact that Yorkshire tourism are busy promoting the Yorkshire leg of the tour de france next year, and what does that attract, lots of campers. ooops

Yes no campers motorhomes or overnight parking until the tdf starts then when it's over it will be back to normal no campers motorhomes or overnight parking it's no use knocking if there's nobody in

AL8
19-11-2013, 08:45
Yes no campers motorhomes or overnight parking until the tdf starts then when it's over it will be back to normal no campers motorhomes or overnight parking it's no use knocking if there's nobody inabsolutely... But, I'm sure that if a touristy area, just took a chance & embraced 'campers', maybe with an Aire-type initiative, the way would be paved for an excellent outcome for all concerned.

maingate
19-11-2013, 11:14
A new Aire is to be set up (and operational) at Weymouth by next Easter.

It makes Scarborough Council look stupid. :)

AL8
19-11-2013, 11:23
A new Aire is to be set up (and operational) at Weymouth by next Easter.

It makes Scarborough Council look stupid. :)
UPDATE: Weymouth park and ride put forward as possible temporary traveller site (From Dorset Echo) (http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/10709321.UPDATE__Weymouth_park_and_ride_put_forwar d_as_possible_temporary_traveller_site/)

maingate
19-11-2013, 12:35
UPDATE: Weymouth park and ride put forward as possible temporary traveller site (From Dorset Echo) (http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/10709321.UPDATE__Weymouth_park_and_ride_put_forwar d_as_possible_temporary_traveller_site/)

???????

Smaug
19-11-2013, 14:46

Wow! What a way to wind up your readership!! The Dorset Echo is comparing a paid & serviced Aire style motorhome park to a traveller site & playing on the fears & predjudices of bigoted residents. Way to drive tourist dolars away, guys!

Don't they understand that Travellers are unlikely to want organised & payed for pitches, but retired people with big coachbuilts (plus time & money to spend) probably will! Not one single comment points out who the site is aimed at & why the Travellers are most unlikely to use it!

Boy I hate what the media does to people with such inaccurate, emotive & rabble-rousing reporting.

maingate
19-11-2013, 15:19
Actually Smaug, our friend is on the wrong track completely. The Council may be looking at a site for travellers but the Aire is a totally different project. I thought I should point that out as he must be at work (or something) and has not come back to us.

AL8
19-11-2013, 15:56
Actually Smaug, our friend is on the wrong track completely. The Council may be looking at a site for travellers but the Aire is a totally different project. I thought I should point that out as he must be at work (or something) and has not come back to us.I got the link from here: Weymouth aire...... | Motorhome Matters | Motorhomes Forum | Out and About Live (http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Weymouth-aire-/32710/)

It seems to be the same location being talked about as an Aire & as a temp transit site (for Travellers), I've no idea if Weymouth think they are creating an Aire (as we know it) or an area to corral Travellers...

Creating a clear distinction between Travellers & Motorhomers & Caravanners to the general public would do 'us' a very great service, or is it that in the eyes of law & legislation, there is little or no distinction?

I thought that on Aires, there was maximum stay length, 24 or 48hours? That puts in place an easy rule to enable everyone to be moved on, if it were ever required?

maingate
19-11-2013, 17:01
You need to use a better forum for your links. :p

UPDATE on Dorset Aire Forums (http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-150873.html)

AL8
20-11-2013, 08:35
You need to use a better forum for your links. :p

UPDATE on Dorset Aire Forums (http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-150873.html)Yes, clearly I do..

Edit: I just had a closer look, that looks excellent..

helen262
01-08-2014, 16:41
CR Horcum in the POI's off the A169 heading towards Whitby on the right just before Saltersgate.
Also here Blue Bank with Whitby in the distance (C) Leslie :: Geograph Britain and Ireland (http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2360211)

We used here last night we were the only ones here had no problems

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS