PDA

View Full Version : High top to pop top conversion?

MikeB
21-10-2013, 16:34
Hello,
A quick question by a noob.

How feasible is it to change a VW T3/T25 from a high top to a pop-top. Vans of this age are very prone to rust and I am wondering if it is better to get a high top and convert it if a good high top becomes available before a pop-top on the second hand market?

Or is it just not worth the effort and cost.

Thanks.

Rodeo
21-10-2013, 20:08
So are you saying you want to convert a high top to a pop top?

vwalan
21-10-2013, 20:31
why not just stay with the hightop. i would .
or have you got a problem with them .
i have fitted loads of hightops on poptop vans .
they really are an improvement if you ask me .

Rodeo
21-10-2013, 20:33
I wasnt sure what he was asking ! Surely there wont be enuf of the orig roof left to fit a pop top? And the gutter area maybe mullered?

vwalan
21-10-2013, 21:00
the roof aperture will probably be too big as you say . the gutter should be ok .
my son has a leisure drive hightop i fitted 16 years ago on his van , all still ok .
fitted them and sheldon hightops . first hightop i had was in 1981 . on a v reg bay .
stan brown and his brother showed me how to fit them . sheldons were the best i thought .

MikeB
21-10-2013, 22:00
I was wondering if it was a realistic option to convert a high top to a pop top, as I might find the perfect van with the exception of the roof and change it if possible.

shawbags
22-10-2013, 00:19
It seems a lot of work to me ,when you get into the job you will probably wish you had'nt started , i would leave well alone ,shawbags.

Firefox
22-10-2013, 02:58
High tops are better than pop tops.

Andy75
22-10-2013, 08:57
I think that's down to personal preference, and what else you might need the van to do :)

There may not be enough material left under the high-top for a pop-top to be mounted I'm afraid. You really don't want to be left struggling with a leaky roof in the future. There are *loads* of veedubs out there, I'm sure the right one with a pop-top will come along for you at some point :wave:

And welcome!

Smaug
22-10-2013, 09:06
High tops are better than pop tops.

Not if you need to get under a barrier or use a multi-storey car park. But why buy a van and spend a couple of grand trying to change it? Just buy the right type in the first place.

Key problems:
hi-tops will have hi-level storage & possibly it will include electrics & control panel.

the rear doors will probably need cutting down.

Removing the hi-top will leave a much bigger gap than a pop-top usually fits in, this will weaken the body structure unless you weld in a roof with pop-top frame integral - or at least rebuild the roof with enough structural integrity to take a pop-top frame.

you ain't going to solve those problems easily, so why even take on all the hassle. If you want a pop-top simply buy one first! The cost & hassle of converting eliminates any perceived benefit of buying something different.

I suspect that most self conversions will be hi-tops rather than pop-tops & that is what might make a hi-top cheaper.

MikeB
22-10-2013, 23:09
Thanks for the advice.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS