PDA

View Full Version : calais to torrevieja

gordon1947
21-10-2013, 19:31
i am looking for a route from calais ferryport to torrevieja in january with as few road tolls as possible and 1 or 2 stopovers at a secure place on the way

shawbags
21-10-2013, 20:15
i am looking for a route from calais ferryport to torrevieja in january with as few road tolls as possible and 1 or 2 stopovers at a secure place on the way

(France)Calais ,rouen , le mans, tours ,poitiers , bourdeaux , irun ,(Spain) pamplona ,zaragoza on to east coast road and head south until you get to Torrevieja ,its not as hard as you think , a good satnav and its even better ,that was the route i took ,vwalan is the man to ask he will probably be along shortly,cheers.

David & Ann
21-10-2013, 20:34
That is the route I have taken many a time. Shawbags is right. Follow that route and you should be fine.

vwalan
21-10-2013, 20:52
hi from poiteirs i would say n10 to angouleme then d939 to perigueux ,(park by sports hall near the river).then head towards sarlat la canada .and on to gourdon . stop by a lake just before the town .next day head for cahours and montauban . drive through toulouse look for the e09 route to saverdun .bottom side of saverdun . you may have to head back up a bit if you bypassed the town . but there is a great big picnic truck stop with toilets shop and loads of parking . from there i go foix , ax-les thermes i go through andorra . its such a nice drive the scenery is fantastic . fill with fuel . then on to lieda and drop to the med . loads of nice places on the way to stop .
have tried lots of ways but i like that run best .
mind now i catch ferry to spain from plymouth .
have done tunnel de viella and most of the mountain crossings but its hard work in winter .
they try hard to keep andorra route open . it really is a nice route . not fast but no tolls or hassle .
waste of time buying anything in andorra the spanish customs are horrible but smile and say bon dias .

shortcircuit
21-10-2013, 21:05
First off, it is about 1800 miles, so budget on a few more stops than two. If you come the west route there are not many stops between Bayonne and Valencia so that could be a long day, about 350 miles, but an easy drive. Not sure of your timescale but give yourself plenty time to enjoy.

Edit. There are plenty of Aires on the way down so either get by your self `All the Aires in France` book or do a bit of research for Aires. There will be very few campsites open that time of the year and not advisable to stay at motorway service points.

Seannachie
22-10-2013, 08:28
...not advisable to stay at motorway service points.

I am interested in why you say that. Have you had a bad experience using motorway service areas, or are you just reiterating the advice given in the Preface to the 'All The Aires' book?

For over 20 years I've overnighted in many of the motorway service areas on all the free sections of various French autoroutes and never encountered any trouble whatsoever, and I fail to comprehend why they should be considered to be any more unsafe than some of the motorhome aires I've encountered (some of which are recommended in the 'All The Aires' book).

rugbyken
22-10-2013, 09:10
With 3 months to prepare after deciding on a route I would look on the French site (camping car Infos ) although all the aires is a detailed book on the aires it features it prob only covers about half the actual aires in France , much better is Camperstop and that will work for you in Spain as well,

Eg I just came up from Spain a week ago and in spite of the French tunnel over the Pyrenees being closed made much better time than I hoped and got about 100mls further on than I thought got past Limoges & looked in all the aires for an aire ahead and found one just before chateroux about 10mls off the A20 as we turned of the rd passed an aire sign and pulled into a great aire on a fishing lake about a ml from the rd not in all the aires but in the French book we had,

Don't know your age but if your over 60 you get a 20% discount on new haven-dieppe you have to phone up for this but at only£140 return 7.5mtr van and dog gives a decent saving of about 200kms each way or about 250mls say £70 of fuel and a days driving.

shaunr68
22-10-2013, 09:47
zaragoza on to east coast road and head south until you get to Torrevieja
We took the Autovia Mudéjar A-23 from Zaragoza to Sagunto last Easter,and very much enjoyed the trip, along with the various interesting pieces of road art along the way. I looked it up on our return and found the following site

Not Hemingway's Spain: Road Trip Spain: Art on the Autovía Mudéjar, Route A-23 (http://nothemingwaysspain.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/road-trip-spain-art-on-autovia-mudejar.html)

Loved it and can't wait to go back.

shortcircuit
22-10-2013, 12:06
I am interested in why you say that. Have you had a bad experience using motorway service areas, or are you just reiterating the advice given in the Preface to the 'All The Aires' book?

For over 20 years I've overnighted in many of the motorway service areas on all the free sections of various French autoroutes and never encountered any trouble whatsoever, and I fail to comprehend why they should be considered to be any more unsafe than some of the motorhome aires I've encountered (some of which are recommended in the 'All The Aires' book).

Thank you for correcting me. My comment was made by reading posts over a period of time on different forums which suggested motorway Aires were not advisable and your experience has shown this not to be the case. I take a lot of the comments in the All the Aires book with a large pinch of salt as one example recommended not staying at Cite Europe even although it is overlooked by a police station.

Like campsites, Aires and motorway service stations you have to make your own judgement whether to stop or not. We pulled into a couple in Spain to stay over but just did not find it comfortable so moved on. The choice is up to the individual.

kenspain
22-10-2013, 12:23
If your thinking of wilding in Torrevieja I would think again if the police don't move you on I would be surprised, also when we went fishing that way one weekend last month a local van owner said there has been a few break ins lately down there:wave:

Seannachie
22-10-2013, 15:08
Thank you for correcting me. My comment was made by reading posts over a period of time on different forums which suggested motorway Aires were not advisable and your experience has shown this not to be the case. I take a lot of the comments in the All the Aires book with a large pinch of salt as one example recommended not staying at Cite Europe even although it is overlooked by a police station.

Like campsites, Aires and motorway service stations you have to make your own judgement whether to stop or not. We pulled into a couple in Spain to stay over but just did not find it comfortable so moved on. The choice is up to the individual.

Thanks for your reply but I wasn't correcting you, nor did I mean my comment to sound as if I was, just trying to find out if you had had bad experiences on motorway service stations or aires.

I agree with you that it is necessary to use one's judgement when deciding to stay somewhere - whether an official aire, service station, or just a convenient spot on the road somewhere - so much so that if either my wife or I are unhappy regarding a proposed overnight spot, we move on to somewhere where we feel more comfortable. In over 20 years of wilding, we must have done something right, as we have never had any problems, either in the UK, France or Spain.

As for the book 'All the Aires', I don't understand why the editors are so against motorway service stations or aires on motorways as they are safer than some of the remote spots that they do recommend. Admittedly, some motorway spots can be noisy, but then so are many of the aires which that book recommends. As for it's title, 'All the Aires', that is not only a complete joke, but it is tantamount to misrepresentation as it contains fewer that one half of all the aires in France. I also have to laugh at the dire warnings posted throughout the book that 'Copyright law protects the GPS co-ordinates published in this guide. Compiling them into lists or publishing them in any format will not be tolerated' Guffaw - someone should tell the bonzo that GPS co-ordinates CANNOT be copyrighted as they are in the public domain and everyone has the right to use them.

;)

vwalan
22-10-2013, 15:40
far better to get the aires books when in france . cheaper and more up to date . but theres always somewhere to have the odd night or even a couple . dont have chairs outside and your parking . use the picnic tables provided in alot of nice places .

Seannachie
22-10-2013, 15:59
far better to get the aires books when in france . cheaper and more up to date . but theres always somewhere to have the odd night or even a couple . dont have chairs outside and your parking . use the picnic tables provided in alot of nice places .

You can buy 'Le Guide Officiel: Aires De Services Camping-Car 2013' from Amazon, UK before you go - it costs £10.63 and is cheaper than in France and contains details of over 6,300 stops. Read about it HERE (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-officiel-aires-services-camping-car/dp/2358390259).

ADDENDUM: Amazon's price is marginally less than I paid for a copy of this book in an Eddy Leclerk supermarket in France earlier this year (May)

vwalan
22-10-2013, 16:04
i dont need one i have an old one i have had for years cost 30f it was that long ago. i dont have trouble finding a place to stop.
but usually i dont drive through france as often as i did . i ferry to spain . it was something to read years ago . always found olaces years before the aires started and still find nice places .

lebesset
22-10-2013, 16:04

am curious ....do you need to be in torre in a hurry ? 1 or 2 stops means quite a rush

personally at that time of year my philosophy is as fast as possible to the Med , then cruise down the coast

I don't use toll roads so calais , old road to abbeville, motorway to rouen 154 via orleans then clermont ferrand , motorway to the coast ; a little further but much more pleasant and a route always kept open even if it snows

Seannachie
22-10-2013, 16:15
always found olaces years before the aires started and still find nice places .

Yes, it's amazing just how many nice places - including official aires - are available but not in any of the guidebooks, or even mentioned in the POI lists produced by Campingcars Infos (http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm).

big tom
22-10-2013, 16:21
Coming up forty years of European travel, en route usually stay at motorway services never had a problem, forget about getting gassed it’s a myth, if you are nervous just check with the attendant that it is 24hr and tell them you intend to stay and if possible park within view of the front of the services, I do not advise to park on the motorway aires the ones with just a toilet which I have heard many people advise, there is little activity at night so any misdoings could go on unseen.

spigot
23-10-2013, 17:18
Thanks for your reply but I wasn't correcting you, nor did I mean my comment to sound as if I was, just trying to find out if you had had bad experiences on motorway service stations or aires.

As for the book 'All the Aires', I don't understand why the editors are so against motorway service stations or aires on motorways as they are safer than some of the remote spots that they do recommend.

;)

It's not the editors that are against these service stations & aires, they are only passing on information from the local police.

I quote from the aires book:- !DO NOT STOP/SLEEP ON THIS MOTORWAY! LOCAL POLICE CONFIRM FREQUENT ROBBERIES FROM VEHICLES STOPPING AT MOTORWAY REST AREAS.

I am sure the local police are the better judges whether to stop or not.

spigot
23-10-2013, 18:48
I think I would trust the police on this one, they have records of the crimes committed at these spots.

They have no ulterior motive, they are just relaying facts.

rolandrat
23-10-2013, 19:11
All the time I have been going to France and Spain we have overnighted on motorway services without any trouble at all.

rugbyken
23-10-2013, 19:28
like many others have used numerous motorway aires over the years and wouldn't hesitate again over security fears,would say though i much prefer the ones such as baie de somme with specific parking for caravans etc to the rear, rather than a truckie giving me a wake up call as soon as its light,

Kontiki
23-10-2013, 21:40
I would think that overnighting on some motorway service areas is probably as safe as anywhere, ones I would avoid would be near to large towns/cities. These type of robberies are opportunist hoping for easy pickings, they aren't likely to be driving long distances hoping to find somebody to rob. I prefer the route to the south west & into northern Spain, if you want a more leisurely drive then heading to the Med. then follow the coast is further but there are plenty of places to stop along the way. I think you can do it in 4 or 5 days maybe a bit less if you are sharing the driving. Not sure what the situation is with the N10 past Bordeaux, coming back this year it looked like they were making it into toll road. http://www.a63-atlandes.fr/contenu/f-1b824d1420c0001b/Preparer-son-trajet-sur-l-A63.html

dave and mary
23-10-2013, 22:42

When we do the trip down to Spain we never use Tolle roads, just put say torrevieja in the sat nave with no toll roads, the other must is the book camperstop with whatever country's you are going through down loaded on to it, then just enjoy the drive without having to keep looking at maps and paying tolls. When you have had enough driving just press the sat nave and the nearest stop is shown, look in your book to see if its free or what is there if you like it press and go. Things are so different now with sat naves and books like camperstop, makes it all so easy.

:drive: :drive:

Seannachie
24-10-2013, 08:36
It's not the editors that are against these service stations & aires, they are only passing on information from the local police.

I quote from the aires book:- !DO NOT STOP/SLEEP ON THIS MOTORWAY! LOCAL POLICE CONFIRM FREQUENT ROBBERIES FROM VEHICLES STOPPING AT MOTORWAY REST AREAS.

I am sure the local police are the better judges whether to stop or not.

I can find no such statement in the latest edition of 'All the Aires - France' (4th Edition, 2012), though they do print a general exhortation on page 574, viz:

'Motorway Aires. Do not park overnight at motorway service stations and rest areas! French motorway service and rest areas often allocate parking with car and caravan signs. The parking areas may look nice, however, motorhomes, caravans, trucks and vans are frequently broken into at motorway rest areas. Often the occupants are asleep during the burglary; surely a situation you would not want to be in.'

Frankly, I doubt very much whether the editors of the book have consulted the French Police on this issue. What's more, we have often been overnighting on motorway aires and/or service areas when the French Police have driven in, given us a friendly nod, exchanged a few pleasantries (we are both fluent in the language) and driven off. Never once have we been advised by the French Police not to overnight there, so I simply don't believe you or the book and we have over 20 years experience of doing this extensively throughout France. However, I'm quite happy that people don't use motorway aires or service areas as it leaves more room for people like me who use our common sense when it comes to wilding.

Finally, you must remember also that the editors of 'All the Aires' - and I've met them both personally - are trying to sell their expensive book (£24.99) - it's more than twice the price and contains only a third of the aires (2,700 as opposed to 6,300) contained in the 'Guide Officiel Aires De Services Camping-Car' (£10.63) - but they know that there would be even less need for their book if they acknowledged that one can overnight freely and safely on any motorway in France. I suggest, therefore, that their exhortation (quoted above) has more to do with boosting their sales than reality - especially when one actually visits some of the aires which they do recommend and learn subsequently from locals, including the Police, that vehicles have been broken into there! If the editors of 'All the Aires' were more concerned with safety than commercial profits I suggest that they would not have put those 'unsafe' aires in their book, but that would make it even slimmer and even more over-priced!

spigot
24-10-2013, 09:22
I can find no such statement in the latest edition of 'All the Aires - France' (4th Edition, 2012), though they do print a general exhortation on page 574, viz:

'Motorway Aires. Do not park overnight at motorway service stations and rest areas! French motorway service and rest areas often allocate parking with car and caravan signs. The parking areas may look nice, however, motorhomes, caravans, trucks and vans are frequently broken into at motorway rest areas. Often the occupants are asleep during the burglary; surely a situation you would not want to be in.'

Frankly, I doubt very much whether the editors of the book have consulted the French Police on this issue. What's more, we have often been overnighting on motorway aires and/or service areas when the French Police have driven in, given us a friendly nod, exchanged a few pleasantries (we are both fluent in the language) and driven off. Never once have we been advised by the French Police not to overnight there, so I simply don't believe you or the book and we have over 20 years experience of doing this extensively throughout France. However, I'm quite happy that people don't use motorway aires or service areas as it leaves more room for people like me who use our common sense when it comes to wilding.

The warnings I refer to are in "All The Aires Spain", I have seen no such alerts in the French version.

In fact, in France with over 6000 aires & countless wilding locations, one would have to be in a desperate hurry to stay in a motorway service area.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS