PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of packing it in....

purityspa
21-10-2013, 21:40
Hi again friends,

Sorry about the rant. . . . .
Well as you know I couldn't join the Caravan Club because my conversion doesn't have a kitchen facility yawn.
I managed to find a nice caravanning and camping club site 20 miles away from work but the amount of money its costing me in pitch fees and petrol everyday and week I'm not sure if its working.
On top of that I'm paying insurance on my car as I use it everyday and the absolute bugger is moving both vehicles on my own after 28 nights + I cannot seem to find a site within 10 miles!! everything is over 20 miles away.
I'm finding the whole thing difficult and doing the 20 mile school and work run every morning is running me into the ground. I have found a close potential 'wildcamping' hotspot but I'm not sure if it would be safe for me and a kid alone without the hook up.
I honestly didn't think it would be this hard!! Maybe its time to pack this in and rent a flat up North somewhere.

Thank you for reading

Smaug
21-10-2013, 21:54
What is it you are trying to do? You can't easily drive 2 vehicles, do you really need to?

Are you trying to full time, or just trying to have the odd weekend away?

n brown
21-10-2013, 21:57
don't feel defeated,think outside the box,maybe these campsites are just putting off the move to somewhere more sensible,like a travellers site-read my post on 'advice welcome '

maingate
21-10-2013, 22:35
To avoid the 28 day rule, do a wildcamp for one night then move back on the site for another 28 days. In fact, at this time of year I am surprised that they enforce it. Look for a spot as close as possible to the site. It will be much easier to make the move on a weekend (for work and school reasons).

QFour
21-10-2013, 22:44
If you are doing it to save money then a Caravan Club Site is hardly the best way. If you only need electric then have a look at Cl sites. They don't have showers etc but they are cheaper. Good luck ...

Firefox
21-10-2013, 22:58
Go for the wildcamping spots. Use solar panels and gas. You'll save loads. Campsite fees are a drain.

purityspa
21-10-2013, 23:12
Firefox

Go for the wildcamping spots. Use solar panels and gas. You'll save loads. Campsite fees are a drain.

I know but wildcamping isn't safe with a kid unless there are other wildcampers are there too.

Thank you all

yorkslass
22-10-2013, 00:10
a lifestyle change is never easy. I must sat if you are starting out fullltiming and having the responsibility of maintaining a " normal life" for a child you have my admiration. as maingate suggested, do one night wild camping then return to a campsite, but I think you need you need to look at more affordable options. good luck.

FULL TIMER
22-10-2013, 00:55
My advice is forget the caravan club and try the camping and caravanning club this will open up the use of the Certificated site network, the main club sites are way to expensive to consider for fulltiming. I have to say that in nearly 7 years of "fulltiming" rightly or wrongly I have never been told to leave anywhere, we do have the odd weekend off of a site but normally book for a couple of weeks and just turn up with the site fees after that, site I'm on at the minute is only 5 per night but no hookup, there must be a few in your area around this price point I normally expect to pay around 7 - 8 per night with hookup,

Firefox
22-10-2013, 01:04
Firefox

I know but wildcamping isn't safe with a kid unless there are other wildcampers are there too.

Thank you all

Just wondering why you think it isn't safe, and why a child would make any difference to how safe it is. If anything it would make it safer, as there are two people rather than one, and children also have excellent hearing.

Tbear
22-10-2013, 06:06
Hi Purityspa,

You don't tell us much about yourself such as where you are or how big your van is. Where the school is or where you work. I fully understand that this is probable for both your security and safety. However wild camping has a fairly loose definition and is often anything but wild. If you give us a few clues then we may be able to help you with reasonable locations which you may be able to park in for a few days at a time. This would cut your travelling time and ease your finances considerable.

If you really don't want to give anything away (perfectly understandable) then may I suggest that you become a full member and download the POI file which has several thousand places to stay. It tends to pay for itself in no time as membership is only a couple of nights site fees.

Please don't dismiss "wild" camping until you have looked at a few local spots. Beware! It can become addictive:)

Richard

Smaug
22-10-2013, 08:53
Can you get to a club meet? Then you can meet some of the posters on here & chat about your needs & fears. You will get tons of useful advice & probably some practical help too.

I too don't see that wilding with a child is risky, as it happens I haven't wilded with the grandkids yet, but I don't see any reason not to. I would however be selective about the wild spots I chose & would avoid laybys & probably most urban locations, but I can recall a load of places on our recent N Ireland trip that were right by fabulous beaches or children's playgrounds where they could have been safely "turned loose" as long as I could see or hear them!

maxi77
22-10-2013, 10:11
Long term campers are the lifeblood of small private campsite through the winter. If you are a CC member check for any CLs in the area, they will be more than happy to let you stay and do a deal on prices too. You should be able to find some where for much less than CC sites charge, though perhaps the facilities will be a bit less.

Caz
22-10-2013, 10:14
If you need to use a car as well and are camping on proper sites then I would have thought an old caravan would be a better option? Much easier to move on than trying to drive two vehicles at once. Or ditch the car and use the van for everything?

purityspa
22-10-2013, 19:30
Hi Richard,

I'm staying at the Walton on Thames site tonight, but I travel to Godstone everyday and Dorking once a week. I will consider wildcamping once I buy this suitcase generator.:o

maxi77
Long term campers are the lifeblood of small private campsite through the winter. The trouble is finding one with 20 miles
Smaug
Can you get to a club meet? I would really love too, when is the next meeting?
Kainene
I would have thought an old caravan would be a better option? Much easier to move I wouldn't be confident towing a caravan + I only have a basic car licence

Thank you all for replying you are so kind :baby:

Smaug
22-10-2013, 19:40
Purityspa; there is a meet planned at Lydney (Kent?) which may not be too far from you. Click here to see the thread (http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-meets-gatherings/31726-halloween-meet-1st-3rd-nov-2013-blacksmiths-arms.html).

If you can get there, post on the thread to let 'em know.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS