PDA

View Full Version : Route from Haloween Meet up to Longridge, Preston

Philcott
23-10-2013, 17:57
Hi guys, need to travel from Morgans Haloween meet up to Longridge for a meet with a different club the following weekend. It's not an area I know at all, so would appreciate some ideas of the best way of getting up there. I leave Lydney on the Monday morning and need to be in Preston area by the Thursday. I am hoping to wild camp all the way up, but need to know which road is the best and most scenic. I don't particularly want to travel via the motorways if I can help it, nor do I want to go through the big towns and cities.

A tall order perhaps, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Firefox
23-10-2013, 18:11
A49 via Witchurch is the obvious way to avoid the M5/M6

I have used it before and it is not too bad. It can be quicker than the M6 if Birmingham is really busy.

Philcott
23-10-2013, 18:13
Thank you Firefox. Will now go study my map! :)

Firefox
23-10-2013, 18:44
No probs.

You only need to pick it up at Ross and follow it all the way to the M6 at Warrington. In fact if you really want you can follow the A49 nearly all the way to Preston. Some interesting detours and scenic places are available to wild along the way. Church Stretton is worth a stop and a night.

oldish hippy
23-10-2013, 18:47
shustoke will take care of one night

Firefox
23-10-2013, 19:31
Quite a detour from the A49 though, OH, that one :scared:

kangooroo
24-10-2013, 11:59
I'm from Warrington and currently live close to Lydney so am very familiar with the main routes.

I've used the A49 from Ross-on-Wye to Warrington and, although some scenic spots and detours, it can be a very sloooow route. My parents use it when heading down from Warrington for visits and it takes them a good 6 hours (although they do stop regularly and are far from being speedy drivers!). Unless you really want to avoid motorways, I would opt for the M50-M5-M6 which will take you right up to Preston. On a quiet Sunday morning with no delays, Lydney to Preston has been done in 3 hours by visitors but I would allow 4.

Firefox
24-10-2013, 12:12
I'm from Warrington and currently live close to Lydney so am very familiar with the main routes.

I've used the A49 from Ross-on-Wye to Warrington and, although some scenic spots and detours, it can be a very sloooow route. My parents use it when heading down from Warrington for visits and it takes them a good 6 hours (although they do stop regularly and are far from being speedy drivers!). Unless you really want to avoid motorways, I would opt for the M50-M5-M6 which will take you right up to Preston. On a quiet Sunday morning with no delays, Lydney to Preston has been done in 3 hours by visitors but I would allow 4.

The brief was that they have 3 1/2 days to do the journey and want to wild camp in some scenic places and avoid motorways:pc: :tongue:

Philcott
24-10-2013, 12:58
The brief was that they have 3 1/2 days to do the journey and want to wild camp in some scenic places and avoid motorways:pc: :tongue:

That's right - I often travel the motorways, but seeing as I have the time thought it would be nice to 'pootle'. Am liking what I'm reading so far, and thanks OH but as Firefox says, a bit out of the way. :)

Sharon the Cat
24-10-2013, 13:51
If you are happy to pootle some stretches of the A49 are nice, especially Church Stretton way.

Firefox
24-10-2013, 13:59
It's worth a walk over the hills around Church Stretton.

A little bit of Wales and Scotland where you may not expect it!

Philcott
24-10-2013, 14:13
Oh wow! That looks lovely!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS