PDA

View Full Version : France Passion and the like?

Rodeo
24-10-2013, 17:29
Does anyone use any of these type of guides? A friend owns the Britcamp scheme in UK,and I was wondering hat those for France and Spain were like?

kernowprickles
24-10-2013, 19:00
We just used Aires, as neither of us drink, and a lot of the French Passion stops are on vineyards. We would have felt very guilty if we'd have stopped there and not bought anything!

Most of the Aires we used were free, sometimes even with free electric and water. We mainly used the "All the Aires" book from Vicarious Books, (https://www.vicarious-shop.com/All-the-Aires-France-edition-4.html ) but if you can cope with the French ones (can get in most reasonably sized supermarkets) they are usually cheaper. We didn't use satnav to find them, just a good AA road atlas, and the description in the "All the Aires" book. I think out of all the ones we looked for, there were only 2 we didn't find.

We also had the ACSI book and card, (ACSI Eurocampings - 9800 by ACSI inspected camp sites in Europe! (http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/) )for when we wanted to do washing, etc, but only stayed on the 12 Euro ones. (This kind of price is only available OUT of high season.)

Good luck with your trip, France is BRILLIANT for Motorhomes, they appreciate them, unlike HERE!!

KP x

dave and mary
25-10-2013, 06:28
The only book we now us and have done for the last 3/4 years is camperstop for all of Europe, with the downloads of the counter's you are going to it is the best thing since sliced bread.

:drive: :drive:

Sharlene76
27-10-2013, 20:01
Does anyone use any of these type of guides? A friend owns the Britcamp scheme in UK,and I was wondering hat those for France and Spain were like?

Hi
We bought the French passion this year on our 1st tour round france, we only used it once as they were mainly down the south of France and we didn't quite make it that far due to family reasons.

Although I might add we stayed in the middle of a vineyard field, SOMTHING you would not have got the chance to do if we hadn't bought it so it was worth the experience for one night if nothing else

France is so motorhome originated that there's lots of places designated for motorhomes in which we never struggle to find.

jann
28-10-2013, 07:38
We've never bothered with French Passion because there are plenty of aires as well as tolerated places.

We have used Brit stops for the first time this year, found them all to be OK. We will probably buy again next year because they are handy in places where it is difficult to wild camp.

Solwaybuggier
28-10-2013, 11:32
Rodeo

If you know Steve from ********* (I assume that's what you mean, rather than Britcamps??) you may know he is quite open that his scheme is based on France Passion. The big difference between the 2 schemes is scale - FP is way larger at the moment, curredntly 1750 hosts although still has uneven coverage, with loads of hosts in wine-growing districts, and some departements with only a handful.

We love FP, but whether it's worth it for you will depend to an extent on where you're going. And it may be free, but you are likely to end up spending as much as campsites for many stays. Of course, you do then come away with some very nice wine or other produce! As others have said there are also loads of aires - we get one of the French guides, which covers far more than All The Aires, and if you have internet access the CAMPINGCAR-INFOS (http://www.campingcar-infos.com) site is brilliant.

Most countries seem to have a FP-type scheme, but my understanding is that the Spanish one is pretty localised around the Valencia area?? Things may have changed, though.

ScamperVan
28-10-2013, 18:12
A friend, who recently spent a month touring in France, was very complimentary about FP and recommended it to us.

motorhomevalet
29-10-2013, 17:28
We have been member of FP for the last ten years and love the diversity of stops. Sometimes when we have been in France we haven't used any of the FP stops and other times we have stopped at quite a few. For the amount that it costs I think it represents good value for money as where else could you park up in the middle of a vinyard or have an evening meal (all home cooked). I appreciate that it may not be everyones cup of tea but as I said we love em.

Rodeo
04-11-2013, 21:08
Been talking about this with SWMBO. Can I ask please,if the FP book is bought for say, this year,ie annually,how do they (your hosts) check that its not out of date? Windscreen sticker ? Or am I on the wrong track and it lasts ad infinitum?

Tezza33
04-11-2013, 21:25
Been talking about this with SWMBO. Can I ask please,if the FP book is bought for say, this year,ie annually,how do they (your hosts) check that its not out of date? Windscreen sticker ? Or am I on the wrong track and it lasts ad infinitum?You get a windscreen sticker but I have never had a host check mine

Makzine
04-11-2013, 21:26
We use FP as it suits our way of travelling and yes you get a sticker for your windscreen each year. We have used FP now for the last three years and its a wonderful way of getting that bit further off your route and into the real France, plus your better protected by being parked on somebodies property rather than in a layby for instance. That said France is a veritable haven for motorhomes and campervans as there is always somewhere to stay wherever you are.

John

stevebill
05-11-2013, 18:31
Im sure the sites themselves are great.We paid up and duly got the info, ready to leave the Uk in Oct this year. Totally pissed off to then discover that you cant download any of the Gps coordinates if you dont have a listed Gps. The catch is, you cant find out what Gps's are on the list until youve paid. Not happy at all, and ive had the conversation with France Passion on the subject, as Vicarious Books didnt offer much comment. FP were conciliatory but im still out of pocket. Incidentally, we have travelled diagonally Calais to Biarritz as it happens, and havent actually seen any en route.

stevebill
05-11-2013, 18:36
Vicarious books' "all the aires" is excellent provided you shell out another fiver for the fold out map. The French Aires system is really very good, cant fault it at all. On this trip we've stayed in Cognac - right in the city centre next tot he Hennessy distillery. We've been next to a lovely lake at Gaste for 3 Euros, they've all been brilliant. Thank you France!

Rodeo
05-11-2013, 18:49
Can you explain to this old git what a listed GPS is please?

And just had a look at that book ,looks good! But I thought Id read on here that staying on Aires on major routes wasnt very safe? (new to all this,usually use Hotels) Im looking at all the info for various schemes and Im totally confused!

POI Admin
05-11-2013, 19:01
It's worth remembering that Full Members of the site can download POI files that include over 1,200 selected locations in France ... (as well, of course, as well over 5,000 spots in England, Wales and Scotland) :D

dave and mary
05-11-2013, 19:35
Can you explain to this old git what a listed GPS is please?

And just had a look at that book ,looks good! But I thought Id read on here that staying on Aires on major routes wasnt very safe? (new to all this,usually use Hotels) Im looking at all the info for various schemes and Im totally confused!

I am like you all this new stuff is a bit daunting, as I said in an earlier post for the last few years we have used the book camper stop, you buy the down loads for the country's you are going to ( as it covers all of Europe ) just stop press the button and there in front of you are all the stopping places and the distance you are from then all have a page number, you look at it and there is all the information you need, if its free, hard standing, how far from shops ect. We have found it a great tool and have used it all over Europe, its the only one we use now.

Rodeo
05-11-2013, 19:42
Thanks I'll go reccy that one then! As funny as it may be to you lot,I cant even use a sat nav,and havent got one! Been in sons cars with them working and they are ace things,but aint got a clue how to use one with postcodes ,let alone co-ordinates!:D

kernowprickles
05-11-2013, 21:27
But I thought Id read on here that staying on Aires on major routes wasnt very safe? (new to all this,usually use Hotels) Im looking at all the info for various schemes and Im totally confused!

The Aires referred to as not being very safe, are the ones at Motorway Service Stations, on the major routes, rather than the ones found in villages and towns. No Aire is 100% safe, but the ones specifically for motorhomes are safer than the Motorway ones. Remember the Wildcamping Rule; if it feels wrong, move on!!

You'll love the freedom of camping in Aires, and probably won't want to come back to England!

Good luck!!

KP xx

kernowprickles
07-11-2013, 17:00
I don't know if you or your family are Marmite lovers, Rodeo, but if any of you ARE, take an adequate supply to France with you!! It is obtainable in some supermarkets, but horrendously pricey - small jar over 3!

The other thing that seemed to be much pricier over in France was peanut butter; I am used to Aldi's cheapest and begrudge paying quids for it elsewhere. As far as price goes, Aldi and Lidl, like here, are much cheaper than than the other supermarkets; found I was saving at least 10 euros on a shop by doing it in Lidls.

Their jam is much nicer; peach, apricot and savage myrtilles were are favourites!!

KP xx

ronste
07-11-2013, 17:15
Don't forget the wine when in Lidls

stevebill
07-11-2013, 17:19
To repy to Rodeo's question - France Passion do not disclose the GPS co-ordinates of any of their members' locations.
To access the, you have to pay the subscription, and you are given a member number and access to the part of their website where downloads can be done.
There, you will find a list of the GPS or Sat Navs (take your pick which terminology you use) that will be able to download.
AND MINE ISNT ON IT!!!!
Thats why i am pissed off that they hang on to their info until you pay up, then they leave you disappointed if your sat nav/gps is not on their list !
cheers
Steve

maxi77
07-11-2013, 19:03
I don't know if you or your family are Marmite lovers, Rodeo, but if any of you ARE, take an adequate supply to France with you!! It is obtainable in some supermarkets, but horrendously pricey - small jar over 3!

The other thing that seemed to be much pricier over in France was peanut butter; I am used to Aldi's cheapest and begrudge paying quids for it elsewhere. As far as price goes, Aldi and Lidl, like here, are much cheaper than than the other supermarkets; found I was saving at least 10 euros on a shop by doing it in Lidls.

Their jam is much nicer; peach, apricot and savage myrtilles were are favourites!!

KP xx

The secret is to go native for food, it tastes better and costs less. We spent nearly 3 years in Portugal having trvelled down through France and Spain. We quickly learned to eat local and it was great. Yes Marmite is nice but it is not essential and trying something new is all what travelling is about. We found France in general quite expensive but good quality, Spain is cheaper, and Portugal is the best.

Rodeo
07-11-2013, 19:31
Pushing this thread even further off topic...apologies mods.......We try to eat native as well. Although once in a while we crave egg and chips or something! Usually seek out the ex pats type places then,but now we will go in campervan,we'll get our own stuff from supermarkets,which is all part of the reason it will be cheaper in a 'van.

witzend
07-11-2013, 21:40
Thats why i am pissed off that they hang on to their info until you pay up, then they leave you disappointed if your sat nav/gps is not on their list !
cheers
Steve

Can you post here what sat navs/gps are on the list I joined F/P a few years ago and haven't bothered since as their locations are so difficult to find didn't know that downloads were avail

Rodeo
21-11-2013, 17:46
Apologies for resurrecting this thread!:rolleyes: Im still confused...so many choices! To be very honest, my main concern is that there is a sat nav involved in getting around! I am concerned that buying one will be a waste of wonga,as I will probably launch it out of the window in frustration as I get in a right mucking fuddle, cos I dont understand stuff like that and SWMBO doesnt either.We just dont understand,"download this and open in a new window "etc stuff! Does the All the Aires book give detailed directions that I could use a map on,instead of plotting a course on a Sat Nav?
thanks for everyones perseverance!

kernowprickles
21-11-2013, 17:58
Does the All the Aires book give detailed directions that I could use a map on,instead of plotting a course on a Sat Nav?

Yes, they do give directions, and if you have a good map, you can usually find the Aire. We didn't use a satnav, and only had a couple of places that we couldn't find during a 2 months stay in France. We used a large scale AA atlas of France, and more local maps when we had them for the area, but most of the time, the Atlas was fine. We did find that as it was large scale, quite a few pages were used when we were travelling, and I used numbered post-its on the pages to follow our route more easily.

Occasionally, if we could pick up WiFi, I would check them out on Google Maps, but most of the time we managed without. We love driving in France, can't believe the lack of traffic compared to Cornwall! Bliss!

Off again next year for 2 months, from May 9th, if al goes well!! Good luck with your trip!!

KP xx

dave and mary
21-11-2013, 18:09
Apologies for resurrecting this thread!:rolleyes: Im still confused...so many choices! To be very honest, my main concern is that there is a sat nav involved in getting around! I am concerned that buying one will be a waste of wonga,as I will probably launch it out of the window in frustration as I get in a right mucking fuddle, cos I dont understand stuff like that and SWMBO doesnt either.We just dont understand,"download this and open in a new window "etc stuff! Does the All the Aires book give detailed directions that I could use a map on,instead of plotting a course on a Sat Nav?

I know exactly how you feel we are not in the computer world by any means, but our grandson said get a Garmin sat nave and I will down load every thing for you that was 3 years ago and it was the best thing we ever done, Mary can now look at the country side as we travel no need to have a map on her lap all day. I would say give it a try get a san nav that does all of Europe the book camperstop down load onto sat nav and then put in no toll roads and go and enjoy yourselves. Last year we spent 7 weeks in France and never spent a euro on tolls or campsites. ( that's the cost of your sat nav lol )

Rodeo
21-11-2013, 19:21
Yes I do remember you mentioned this earlier in the thread. I suppose anyone who understands computers would be able to do whatever is required to get the camperstop thing onto the sat nav. for us. My son and Daughter always seem " too busy" ,or do it so fast on the computer I cant follow it ,then they get the hump cos I dont understand what theyre doing! TBH I would sooner pay someone to do it and show me! I did ask one of the 'geeks' at work ,but when they talk computers,they act like you are already very knowledgable ,and talk in jargon!Im going to look into the camperstop thing a bit more ,thanks.

UPDATE... Ive sent a message to Vicarious to find out more,and how I get the downloadable version.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS