PDA

View Full Version : GPS tracking

Tezza
25-10-2013, 19:17
I was wondering if anybody had any ideas and could help. Iam trying to plan a bit of a road trip maybe France Spain and Portugal . And I would like to use my ipad ( as I allready have tomtom Europe installed) as a GPS tracker , but am looking for for an app that switches on when the Mh is moving and then logs the journeys and mileage and time and maybe is able to display this info on google earth . Or am I asking too much and perhaps should consider buying a dedicated tracker ? Does anybody else use something similar...any ideas would be gratefully received ....many thanks

bru
25-10-2013, 19:51
I use memory map on a tablet pc , Memory-Map - Digital Maps for your PC, GPS and Mobile (http://www.memory-map.co.uk/) but there must be other apps for ipad

Edward B
25-10-2013, 19:52
I use something similar to this on android when out on my bike. I have 2 apps 'map my ride' and 'Strava', these log my journey, distance, time, average speed etc and plot the trip on google maps. It will then sync to my desktop to save the details. I don't know if this could be used on such a scale. I am sure there would be something similar.

Tezza
25-10-2013, 20:00
I use memory map on a tablet pc , Memory-Map - Digital Maps for your PC, GPS and Mobile (http://www.memory-map.co.uk/) but there must be other apps for ipad

Hi thanks for that....it's similar to what I'm looking for....but I think it's only for the uk as it uses os maps and I will need European ones. But thank you anyways :-)

ian81
26-10-2013, 07:05
Are you sure you can't turn on a tracking option in 'TomTom'? Personally I use 'CoPilot' and that does log tracks. Microsoft Autoroute can do this: not sure if Memory Map has this option

I would think that there will be an app in Apple store to carry out this function -certainly there are several good ones for Android and I have used them in the past. Some can be set to turn on logging when they detect movement.

Personally I prefer a GPS data logger (currently using a DG200: this is small enough to carry around and means I log not only journeys but walks etc. This enable me to then 'tag' my photos so I can see exactly where they were taken.

fairytooth
26-10-2013, 09:05
There is an App called Followmee which might suit your needs

Tezza
26-10-2013, 14:32
There is an App called Followmee which might suit your needs

Thanks for that...last night I installed trip journal....it looks like it might do the job so I will try it on my travels for the next few days

Philcott
26-10-2013, 15:18
Thanks for that...last night I installed trip journal....it looks like it might do the job so I will try it on my travels for the next few days

Please come back and let us know how you fared!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS