PDA

View Full Version : stoned in Scotland

Mastodon
26-10-2013, 15:28
Overnighting in the long layby on the west side of Loch Lomond (near luss), around 0200 heard a loud bang which woke me up, no other noises so presumed a tree branch had dropped on the roof. Looking around this morning, I found a chunk of GRP roof missing and a rock on the road. I strolled up the layby to see the owners of the other 2 vans there, one of them had had a similar experience- a double dent in his back door and a matching rock. Seems someone had collected their rocks from the roadside drain (there were no loose rocks in the layby and the ones we found matched those out on the main) on the main road then driven through the layby chucking them at the vans. This was a deliberate, planned attack, presumably by locals aware that the layby is frequently used. Beware...

Gee
26-10-2013, 15:43
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I stopped overnight 2 weeks ago in the big layby just north of luss on the left hand side. This one is set above the road and has seven smaller laybys off the through road. No problems. I was the only van using it. Unfortunately Loch Lomonds proximity to build up areas can sometimes attract these losers.

Wooie1958
26-10-2013, 16:10
Just out of curiosity what sort of vans have you and the other 2 there got ? Coachbuilt or Stealth / Builders type vans.

The reason i ask is that the last time we past through there we considered staying in one of the Laybys but when we saw how many " Travellers " there
was set up in the near by laybys we gave it up as a bad idea and went elsewhere.

luckyfish252
26-10-2013, 16:17
we were there the end of September there was a burnt out car in the layby and it had been cordaned of with tape by the police.We moved across the road to a layby further along.No trouble and quiet, sorry to hear you have had your van damaged.

Kryten
26-10-2013, 17:06
A stoning is suitable punishment for people like that.

Rubbertramp
26-10-2013, 17:19
Just out of curiosity what sort of vans have you and the other 2 there got ? Coachbuilt or Stealth / Builders type vans.

The reason i ask is that the last time we past through there we considered staying in one of the Laybys but when we saw how many " Travellers " there
was set up in the near by laybys we gave it up as a bad idea and went elsewhere.

I detect a little presumption there Wooie.....reading between the lines. Are you suggesting that certain vans get stoned and others don't? I prefer a good egging meself!

Mastodon
26-10-2013, 17:21

1 coachbuilt and 2 commercially converted panel vans, spread out along the layby. Not at all traveller -y...

Rubbertramp
26-10-2013, 17:24
A stoning is suitable punishment for people like that.

Well I've met Mr & Mrs Mastadon and I'd like to strongly disagree with a :pc:

Wooie1958
26-10-2013, 17:26
I detect a little presumption there Wooie.....reading between the lines. Are you suggesting that certain vans get stoned and others don't? I prefer a good egging meself!

What i`m suggesting is that if the vans were of the Stealth / Builders vans type then maybe / possibly they were mistaken for Travellers vehicles.

Then possibly some " local " with a grudge finding a couple on their own might have been getting their own back.

Wooie1958
26-10-2013, 17:29
1 coachbuilt and 2 commercially converted panel vans, spread out along the layby. Not at all traveller -y...

Ah , OK, it was only a thought.

Rubbertramp
26-10-2013, 17:39
What i`m suggesting is that if the vans were of the Stealth / Builders vans type then maybe / possibly they were mistaken for Travellers vehicles.

Then possibly some " local " with a grudge finding a couple on their own might have been getting their own back.

Ah yes, presumptions and grudges. The things that make the world such a peaceful place to live in

GinaRon
26-10-2013, 17:46
That is dreadful - you were not harmed but that is not the point - they are just evil little gits :mad1:

runnach
26-10-2013, 18:04
Sorry to hear about damage done to your pride and joy. Beggars belief why someone would do this!

You don't mention vehicle noise, did you wake in time to hear someone diving off??

Seannachie
26-10-2013, 18:35
Overnighting in the long layby on the west side of Loch Lomond (near luss), around 0200 heard a loud bang which woke me up, no other noises so presumed a tree branch had dropped on the roof. Looking around this morning, I found a chunk of GRP roof missing and a rock on the road. I strolled up the layby to see the owners of the other 2 vans there, one of them had had a similar experience- a double dent in his back door and a matching rock. Seems someone had collected their rocks from the roadside drain (there were no loose rocks in the layby and the ones we found matched those out on the main) on the main road then driven through the layby chucking them at the vans. This was a deliberate, planned attack, presumably by locals aware that the layby is frequently used. Beware...

Sorry to hear that, particularly as we use those laybys on that stretch of road regularly, especially the raised on one overlooking Luss as one goes North. In fact I recommended them to someone on this site just a couple of weeks ago.

Hope the damage is not too expensive to repair but I share your pain.

Kryten
26-10-2013, 19:58

I didn't mean stoning Mr & Mrs Mastadon I meant the yobs that threw the stones at their van.

Mastodon
26-10-2013, 20:03

I didn't mean stoning Mr & Mrs Mastadon I meant the yobs that threw the stones at their van.

We knew that...
'Fortunately' they hit the GRP which is easy to repair. More annoying would have been if they'd hit a window.

thewildcampers
26-10-2013, 20:45
I live near there & there is no excuse for this yobbish behaviour, we r privileged to have loch lomond on our doorstep & local businesses benefit from tourists passing through so i hope you wont be put off with this,hopefully, one off incident. We have however had a lot of probs recently all over the district with travellers setting up camp & destroying the surrounding area so maybe that idea is a possibility although no excuse. Sorry to hear of your bad experience x

Sharlene76
27-10-2013, 19:39

That's terrible, we have always stayed up just pass loch lomand on the left hand side of the loch in a neatly tucked away stopover called honeymoon bridge, there's several stops in there and unless you leave the road nobody would know you were there.. It's handy if you have any pets and there's a nice walk right in front of your van. We have met some locals there walking their dogs and everyone seems really nice.
Stayed there more than half a dozen times now and we have just stayed there twice this week, 1 night on the way up and 1 night on the way back down...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS