PDA

View Full Version : Electric bike, any one got one?

jakekelly
27-10-2013, 10:55
I'm about to purchase an electric bike ,before I "peddle in" is their anyone that has one and uses it fairly regularly, that can either pm me, or post on here their findings,as it is an expensive bit of kit to find that they are no use or pretty limited.thanks in advance JK.

jennyp19
27-10-2013, 12:03
they are brilliant. These are the ones we have http://www.batribike.com/discontinued-models/quartz-lcd - use them all the time whilst away. Beware though Batteries are very expensive to replace. I don't recommend batribikes as a supplier though. One of our batteries was useless before the 1st year, and they would not replace it. I notice that they are now giving 1 yr warranty on the battery, and extending to 2 for free if you register it. Luckily we had got a good deal on two bikes, and dropped back on the guy who sold them to us - he lost out, as they would not replace for him either. You will not get any sort of discount from the importers (we tried, but they wouldn't entertain any idea of a discount even though we wanted 2 bikes)
On the ones we have, there are 4 "speeds" on the battery to pedal assist - so you can still get the exercise from pedalling. Went half way up The Calanques on full power & pedalling - believe me its extremely steep - so much so, I gave up even thinking of walking any further. Our son is taking us to the top later today by car!!!
Also going downhill, if you back pedal, you are putting some power back in the battery.
An auto electric friend thought that we may be able to renew the cells in the duff battery, but he had a look and it can't be done on these particular ones:cry: a new battery should have been 300 (retail) cost.
Cost of a new battery is something to be very aware of if you go down the 2nd hand route - they are supposed to last about 3 years.

jakekelly
27-10-2013, 14:11
they are brilliant. These are the ones we have BATRIBIKE Quartz Folding Electric BikeBATRIBIKE Electric Bicycles (http://www.batribike.com/discontinued-models/quartz-lcd) - use them all the time whilst away. Beware though Batteries are very expensive to replace. I don't recommend batribikes as a supplier though. One of our batteries was useless before the 1st year, and they would not replace it. I notice that they are now giving 1 yr warranty on the battery, and extending to 2 for free if you register it. Luckily we had got a good deal on two bikes, and dropped back on the guy who sold them to us - he lost out, as they would not replace for him either. You will not get any sort of discount from the importers (we tried, but they wouldn't entertain any idea of a discount even though we wanted 2 bikes)
On the ones we have, there are 4 "speeds" on the battery to pedal assist - so you can still get the exercise from pedalling. Went half way up The Calanques on full power & pedalling - believe me its extremely steep - so much so, I gave up even thinking of walking any further. Our son is taking us to the top later today by car!!!
Also going downhill, if you back pedal, you are putting some power back in the battery.
An auto electric friend thought that we may be able to renew the cells in the duff battery, but he had a look and it can't be done on these particular ones:cry: a new battery should have been 300 (retail) cost.
Cost of a new battery is something to be very aware of if you go down the 2nd hand route - they are supposed to last about 3 years.
Thanks jp very good info .

iveco4x4
27-10-2013, 14:24
We just bought a freego stepthru, tad under a grand

Very pleased with it, it goes well with me on it (circa 90 kilos) or lisa (alot lighter !), 26 inch wheels, front suspension ,peddle assist or twist and go

Battery warranty 2 years, disk braked.

We are very pleased with it, they are a tad heavy compared to a normal bike but we are developing a way to get it onto the back of the camper and we will remove the battery when its there to make it lighter and less attractive to thieves

Rich

jakekelly
27-10-2013, 15:24
We just bought a freego stepthru, tad under a grand

Very pleased with it, it goes well with me on it (circa 90 kilos) or lisa (alot lighter !), 26 inch wheels, front suspension ,peddle assist or twist and go

Battery warranty 2 years, disk braked.

We are very pleased with it, they are a tad heavy compared to a normal bike but we are developing a way to get it onto the back of the camper and we will remove the battery when its there to make it lighter and less attractive to thieves

RichHi Rich ,I'm 6'ft.& a lightweight 15&1/2 stone do you think it would cope?s the reason I'm planning a lecky. bike,a knee operation has curtailed me and I have to exercise to build the muscle back up ,or its one of those quad bikes for me, ha!ha!( a benidorm special )the wife wouldnt let me get one when we were there, brilliant 2 seater model save a fortune in taxis when staggering back to the hotel ,:cheers::cheers: but no I cant get one to play with :cry::cry:

jennyp19
27-10-2013, 15:27
We got the foldup ones because I was always worried that they'd get nicked off the back. When we had the Sprinter, they used to fold up & 1 would sit on the passenger seat, and the other on the passenger floor. Drivers seat was clear, so we could still make a quick getaway if needed, and the bikes were secure in the front.
John is about same height & weight as you JK & has no problems with the bike carrying him

Edward B
27-10-2013, 15:41
Recently bought a Raleigh Velo X for wife. She has just had 3 years of surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, more surgery,more chemotherapy, and so was a touch unfit. This bike is pedal assist only but I struggle to keep up with her now. Did a 30 mile ride last week and returned with 50% battery left. It has 2 Years warranty on everything. Last year in France and Spain we felt that bikes would be very useful. Now we look forward to next year for the return journey. Our bike rack is very high (top of bike is level with roof on high roof Mercedes Sprinter when loaded) and with the battery removed for security and to recharge in the van, the bike is easy enough to load. We both felt that twist and go would defeat the object of getting exercise, and we definitely made the right decision. This has been our second best purchase recently, the best of course being the van!

Mastodon
27-10-2013, 15:54
We have an Ave touring bike. It uses a torque sensor to assist pedalling (won't go by itself), disc brakes and front suspension. No probs going up hills towing the dog trailer. Downside is that we had to fit an inverter to charge the battery (36v).

maxi77
27-10-2013, 16:06
We have used electric bikes for a good few years and have just bought 2 Byobikes and so far they have done us well. The new lithium batteries weigh so much less than the old lead acid ones and that makes a big difference. Yes you need 240v to run the chargers so we have a generator but with dicky hips and knews they make moving around much easier

rugbyken
27-10-2013, 16:46
we have two AS bikes from peter hes at all the shows great guy and perfect aftersales,AS Bikes - providing quality folding bikes & folding bicycles (http://www.folding-bikes.net/asbikes/)
the two we have are one 20" and one 26" for me at 6ft and 18stone they are the folding type andwe bought the ones with the 36volt battery/motor now about 700 & 800 and although we used them widely in the first year we then bought a pup and she isnt quite trained enough to run alongside , so if we go away in our van we only take the 20" wheel version as it folds up so small and with the battery removed and seat off is relativly light about 18kg ,
on our last trip we stayed longer at Braganca than we intended and ran out of a few things rather than get the van out i went on the bike, the intermarche was about 2kms away over some serious hills but i went there collected couple of bottles of milk a full melon and a dozen beers , even the little bike got me back with only a little pedal assistance,

Kontiki
28-10-2013, 07:03
Got a couple of 26" folding bikes from AS Bikes - providing quality folding bikes & folding bicycles (http://www.folding-bikes.net/asbikes/) He is usually at the motorhome show, had ours about 3 years. Always been helpful if we had any problems, bikes work well, on the flat I'm OK pedaling & use the motor to help on the uphill bits.

alisonwo
28-10-2013, 08:47
We had two powabikes bought here, one was fairly old and conked out just before our trip around Europe summer just gone. Whilst in Germany we came across a huge supermarket selling them and bought a brilliant one for 600 euro, complete with extras such as dynamo lights, very light and a bargain as they are so expensive here for instance mine cost 850 3 years ago. So I would look around abroad before buying, Holland is a good place and Germany. Ours do not fold which would have been handy, but as they are quite light it doesn't matter that much, and if you take the battery off and store it in the MV they are quite easy to lift up onto the bike rack.

Minisorella
28-10-2013, 09:07
We've got folding Batribikes too, with pedal assist etc. They're very strong and solid but Jenny's right, the replacement batteries are very expensive. We love them to bits and wouldn't be without them but find that we never actually fold them up, apart from turning down the handlebars when they're on the bike rack. We even bought carry bags for when they're folded but they've never been used. I might be tempted to choose a solid bike with bigger wheels if I ever had to replace mine.

Sharon the Cat
28-10-2013, 10:51
Hi Rich ,I'm 6'ft.& a lightweight 15&1/2 stone do you think it would cope?s the reason I'm planning a lecky. bike,a knee operation has curtailed me and I have to exercise to build the muscle back up ,or its one of those quad bikes for me, ha!ha!( a benidorm special )the wife wouldnt let me get one when we were there, brilliant 2 seater model save a fortune in taxis when staggering back to the hotel ,:cheers::cheers: but no I cant get one to play with :cry::cry:

Ummm why not stick with a normal bike to build the muscle up again? You can't do it straight away but little by little you can get there and it's better for you than an electric one.

I've had 3 ops on one knee and 5 on the other, the latest being a total replacement. Before I managed to get back on the bike I used one of these. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pedal-Exercise-With-Digital-Display/dp/B00A73NVQK?tag=s6010000201-21 Great 'cos you can read a book/watch TV/drink a cuppa at the same time and a damn sight cheaper (25) than one of those great big exercise bikes.

m1cxf
28-10-2013, 13:14
I have two electric bikes. An old battered folding one which I use for general kicking around and a 26" wheel one which I keep for best. I have re-celled the small one a couple of times over the years as it is much cheaper than buying complete battery packs. The larger wheeled one gives a smoother ride (both have front suspension) and the folding one is easier to stash out of the way. It is very much a case of suck it and see. Unfortunately it can be an expensive suck!

TJ

BrianG
28-10-2013, 15:36
I had a rigid electric bike with throttle control. I found it a bit heavy and also found that I accidentally turned the throttle when braking suddenly resulting several times in bruised and grazed knuckles. Also found it a tad too heavy, so I sold on here to a fellow member (hope it is still running ok around the farm!!!!)
Decided to get another one because I missed it so much, this time a folder pedal assist. Second hand but absolutely immaculate off ebay 250. Had to drive from Shrewsbury to Norwich to get it, but thoroughly enjoyed a week around the broads.
Take a look at second hand. Take your time. A lot of people who are not really into cycling at all buy these things, hardly use them.
I love mine and use a lot because I only have the van and must have paid for in no time when shopping at home and away.

geebus
28-10-2013, 16:28
You can get conversion kits to convery any normal push bike for not too much.

The main cost is often the batteries - good high capacity lithium batteries will cost you quite a lot, but last a lot of miles and not weigh THAT much.
Low capacity lead acid batteries may actually weigh more and not take you nearly as far. But they'll be a lot cheaper.

I got a second hand coverted bike (the bike was basically free with the kit as it was just a cheap mountain bike) for 230 with batteries and charger.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS