PDA

View Full Version : Gas bottle storage

Rodeo
27-10-2013, 14:27
I seem to recall seeing summat about how gas bottles should be stowed in a camper. Clipped in a steel box?? Holes in the floor for venting? Does anyone know the correct way to go about it?
Thanks

n brown
27-10-2013, 14:40
there's no rules but generally it's sensible to have a cupboard with a 50mm upstand at the front and a 40mm or more hole in the floor to act as a dropout hole ,if your bottle,which should be strapped in, leaks or the pipe breaks,the front upstand will stop the gas,[ which acts like water,being heavier than air ]from flowing into the van,falling out the hole instead. some people say the cupboard should be metal lined and only accessible from the outside-it's all up to you

Rodeo
27-10-2013, 15:46
Ah! I see now,thanks.

Kontiki
28-10-2013, 07:10
Last few vans we have had the gas locker is a plastic moulded one with a metal bottom. If you look at many of the van conversions the gas bottles are fitted in wooden lockers. The important thing is to have drop out holes so no gas can build up in the event of leakage.

Rodeo
28-10-2013, 10:27
ok guys thats great,thanks. Years ago I used to just stand them under the sink area ,wedged in,thought Id do summat better this time.Just didnt want to fall foul of the dvla requirements when registering from bus to camper!

mark61
28-10-2013, 10:34
Don't think the DVLA have any specific requirements, as long as it looks a permanent fitting.

vwalan
28-10-2013, 11:33
our local dvla inspector that was always made sure the bottle was fixed or strapped so it couldnt fall . he said he didnt have to but he thought it was a good idea.
mind all gone end of next month due to the closures .

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS