PDA

View Full Version : What % u use your camper for leisure

novice1968
27-10-2013, 16:32
I post this question to find out if I am the minority
When I retired 3 years ago, I went and bought my camper as I always wanted one but could not have one a) mrs did not want one b) could not really afford one
Being still very active, I still enjoy my physical activities, and they are usually free and cheap etc walking, jogging, cycling , climbing to name a few.
I enjoyed the camper on outings very much but mrs would not come so mostly travelling solo, it had opened new horizons for me and took me to places I would not have gone.
However, I now came to the conclusion that the camper is actually a hindrance for my activities, as I use my bus pass to take me to where I walk, etc, and cycling in the countries all free and easy
I only use my camper for leisure outings, and may be trips a week or two at a time as i could not leave wife on her own to long in the summer.
Most of the time it is park up, and I work out that 80% of my leisure activities are done without the need of the camper, will still keep the camper as I enjoy the use of it when I use it, at least for now
So my question to all out there, What % of your total leisure time is spent using in your camper ??
thanks for reading

vwalan
27-10-2013, 16:36
well definately use mine 50%, off next week return end april . you really must get off more .
mind if other half wont go its difficult .
trade her in for an adventurous one . ha ha
keep the camper though .

Seannachie
27-10-2013, 16:52
So my question to all out there, What % of your total leisure time is spent using in your camper ??
thanks for reading

My wife and I currently spend approximately 50% of our leisure time in our camper but hope to increase this once we can reduce the frequency of visits to doctors/hospitals.

Tbear
27-10-2013, 16:58
I post this question to find out if I am the minority
When I retired 3 years ago, I went and bought my camper as I always wanted one but could not have one a) mrs did not want one b) could not really afford one
Being still very active, I still enjoy my physical activities, and they are usually free and cheap etc walking, jogging, cycling , climbing to name a few.
I enjoyed the camper on outings very much but mrs would not come so mostly travelling solo, it had opened new horizons for me and took me to places I would not have gone.
However, I now came to the conclusion that the camper is actually a hindrance for my activities, as I use my bus pass to take me to where I walk, etc, and cycling in the countries all free and easy
I only use my camper for leisure outings, and may be trips a week or two at a time as i could not leave wife on her own to long in the summer.
Most of the time it is park up, and I work out that 80% of my leisure activities are done without the need of the camper, will still keep the camper as I enjoy the use of it when I use it, at least for now
thanks for reading

A fair bit as I use it to carry the pushbike as well. Gets used as for feeding, changing grandkids on family outings etc, as well as the usual camping/walking trips.

You need to work on the other half. Join the C&CC and take her along to weekend meets. Once she makes friends she will get into it. If you stay local to begin with, she has the option to bail out and go home. Doubt she will though :)

Richard

dave and mary
27-10-2013, 17:18
Hi novice, I think you have quite a problem if your other half does not share your interest in the van, is she interested in all the other activates you list or is that something you do on your own?. May be it would be a good idea to see if you could persuade her to come to one of the meets and meet up with the other ladies there, even if you only for the day if sleeping in the van is a problem.
We had our first van in 1967 and have shared the experience with our children who now have there own vans, in the last ten years we have travelled extensively in Europe one trip of 9 months and many of several months. The percentage we use our van is very difficult to say but we go some where at least once a month in the winter and considerably more in the summer.
My post will probably not help you a lot but there is so much to do and see out there and if only you could persuade your other half to try it a couple of times it could alter you life so much, as it has for so many others.

:drive: :drive:

wolvesamongus
27-10-2013, 17:34
My wife is a home girl sofa good book and tv, I have always gone away alone three months and 7,000 km last trip prefer it that way, go where I like,stay as long as I like, talk to whoever I like eat and drink what I like, even when at home I often go sit in the van and chill bottle of nice red a few tunes don't do tv my idea of nothing to do. Don't read into this the wrong way the wife and I get on well it's just that we respect each space and separate interests, been married 41 years so we must be doing things right, the van is my only transport so use it every day one way or another.

Wooie1958
27-10-2013, 17:43
Sell the Wife, get a better van and just take yourself off abroad, just wait till this storm as past. Good Luck.

Smaug
27-10-2013, 17:53
I couldn't work it out.

The van only gets used for leisure purposes, but it isn't our sole leisure pursuit.

We visit friends by car, we go places with the G-kids in the car (where there is something we are going to visit rather than just a romp in the open air), we do sailing & walk the dog locally (no car used for that) & we visit relatives in the car.

But I'm lucky, all those years ago (1965) I picked a girl who loved trips out & was a great map reader. She took me to concerts, ballet etc & I took her to castles, waterfalls & walks. She took to camping & caravans right away as it was the only way we could manage a holiday,

GinaRon
27-10-2013, 18:25
We only bought our van last year because we love travelling about and wanted to do longer trips, went out most week days to avoid traffic and such and have been all over - only use the car now for local trips. In the house my leisure is card making and now I can take this with me. We intend to travel a lot more (I just haven't told the boss that yet) but it is something we both enjoy. Going to the meets has put the butter on the bread because they are so much fun and everyone makes you most welcome, but like others we will still just go when we feel like it.
:wave: :camper:

Sharlene76
27-10-2013, 19:17
We are in our 30's with a 10 year old daughter
Spending all our weekends driving in our car back n forth to Wales canoeing n changing in a car n driving home at mad times at night we invested in our 1st motorhome a J reg elddis
We use it most weekends all thru march to october and we gave up trips to America to spend our main holidays now motorhoming

So the answer to your question would be at least 40%

Life is so much easier sleeping after a day full of activities rather than driving home tired
And being able to cook something up instead of looking for a fast food place has to be healthier
The money we saved in petrol has paid for our motorhome

We love it so much we hope to upgrade gradually in our years to come

Mike Young
27-10-2013, 19:28
We use our camper for all our leisure activities, when we retired a couple of years back, we sank a fair bit of our lump sum into the van so that we could use it for long periods and be comfy. We'd been using a VW Danbury camper with a fixed roof for a number of years, and wanted something a little more roomy. We don't run another vehicle , so our pride and joy does get used for shopping and visiting the family as well. For all other requirements the bus pass does the trick :)
Fortunately my wife loves being out in the van, and is usually a bit bit grumpy about going home.... so much so, that she usually initiates the plans for our next trip before we even get home,.

Both of us have other interests that fit in well with van life. I like photography, reading, watching wildlife , visiting historic places and houses. Sharon likes the same but also water-colour painting, drawing, textile art, knitting and embroidery.

If it wasn't for our family ties I think we'd probably go full time, but at the moment I think we have the best of both worlds.

David & Ann
27-10-2013, 20:41
We use our MH from 30th April until 30th October yearly. 30th April we leave for Europe onto Spain and return end of September. Home about a week. In this time we refuel our MH. that is, complete cleanout, oil and filter change and general odd jobs. We hit the road again and head for the Highlands until end of October. We do a round trip Cornwall to Europe and back, approximately 9000Kms and then the Highlands and back approx.: 2000Kms. This is our yearly routine. Of course from 22nd December to 2nd Jan we are in London to spend Christmas with our folks then head out to Goa until the end of April.(flying of course☺☺)

vwalan
27-10-2013, 21:06
hi. does it make your arms ache flying all that way?
hee hee might have to if they close newquay .

angelaa
28-10-2013, 05:47
We use ours as many weekends as we can, even if only for 1 night. Hubby races pigeons in the summer months and shoots in the winter, but we get out as much as possible in the van. We have different hobbies, when away he fishes and I walk the dog, read, do crosswords and knit nice easy scarfs. That's what's so brilliant with wild camping, as usually we can park where he is fishing, so I don't feel cut off.

phillybarbour
28-10-2013, 05:56
Use our van about 40-50% of our leisure time! have to say my wife was not that keen at first but enjoyed it generally. I then changed the van for a layout that better suits our use and she now really enjoys our trips, just took a while for her to settle in to it.

jann
28-10-2013, 07:42
The van is our only 4 wheeled vehicle, so it gets used for everything. We use it aprox 120 nights a year.

77W
28-10-2013, 07:54
I Would say we use it for about 90% of our leisure time, just spent the last 2 weekends at home & really miss the trips away.

I think the great thing with a camper is you can use it in conjunction with all sorts of leisure activities/ hobbies, We try to Pretty much use it year round, had 9 days away this summer & go away most weekends , that's the beauty of wild camping is saves you so much money, there is no way I could afford a camp site for lets say on average 2 nights a week for 10 months a year.

What would that be lets see average of 20 per night x 8 nights a month 160 x 10 months 1600 krikey it soon adds up eh !!!

trevskoda
28-10-2013, 08:11
I Would say we use it for about 90% of our leisure time, just spent the last 2 weekends at home & really miss the trips away.

I think the great thing with a camper is you can use it in conjunction with all sorts of leisure activities/ hobbies, We try to Pretty much use it year round, had 9 days away this summer & go away most weekends , that's the beauty of wild camping is saves you so much money, there is no way I could afford a camp site for lets say on average 2 nights a week for 10 months a year.

What would that be lets see average of 20 per night x 8 nights a month 160 x 10 months 1600 krikey it soon adds up eh !!!
love this forum,lots of people on here with endles supplie of money,ps eny going spare id be glade to releave you of this burden.

Deleted user 21925
28-10-2013, 08:25
love this forum,lots of people on here with endles supplie of money,ps eny going spare id be glade to releave you of this burden.

Inverted snobbery is quite prevalent too. Although I thought the post was about saving money.

Smaug
28-10-2013, 09:13
Reading thro the thread has reminded me how our MH usage has changed over the years.

In the 70's-early 80's we had young children & lived in a semi in a very urban area (Merseyside) so we went away most weekends - initially to a small tourer kept near Bala (no storage space at home) then in the camper & finally the motorhome.

In the early 80's we bought a small old sailing cruiser & spent more of our holidays in that, but still weekended in the van. Then I was promoted to a job in the Midlands where we were able to buy a small property in a rural environment & we found we were using the van a lot less. Most weekends we went back to Merseyside so our parents could see the G-kids & we weren't quite so desperate to get away from the city now we were out in the country 24/7. Later we sold the van (quite cheaply) to a young family who would care for it (I had started using it to collect a ton of bagged coal twice a year!), use it & love it.

We then acquired my brother's old caravan (which had been in the family from new) for the Annual Family Gathering at Bala. So holidays were either on the boat or B&B, but caring for elderly parents took up most weekends for several years & there were children going thro Uni & starting families that needed support.

We have only gone back into a MH in the last couple of years & still have commitments to help the kids, neither of whom are able to live that close, altho it could be a lot worse, so we still don't bother with weekends away. We feel at least a week is the minimum worth going away for & a fortnight is enough before things need taking care of at home.

While it may be nice to be fancy free & footloose, we would miss the contact with kids & G-kids & the house would probably fall down, so it isn't going to happen!

John Thompson
28-10-2013, 10:17
We use ours 100% of the time for leisure. That is 24/365 as we full time and are retired.

Currently touting Spain for the winter. Back to UK when the weather warms up. Hope to meet up with Alan somewhere on the trip.

yorkieowl
28-10-2013, 10:22
We go to various events throughout the year, where we started off in a tent, we bought the van for the luxury and convenience it provides, also use it for single days out, as lovely for just stopping off and making a cuppa, etc. We can go away for a couple of days and it feels like we've been away much longer, as soon as we get in the van, any thoughts of the house, bills, etc get forgotten - bliss, and with mobile phone/internet we are just a phone call away if the unexpected happens. If I had to sell either my house or the van it would be a very difficult choice.

Mark in France
28-10-2013, 11:01
My GF and I love dogging so our camper gets used a lot, most weekends and sometimes during the week if we've enough energy. It's been a real godsend - lots of space and if it gets a bit cold we can invite people in, shut the door and put the heating on. If I feel a bit tired I can put the kettle on and watch our 12v TV.

AuldTam
28-10-2013, 12:46
My van is a SWB self build and it's also my daily runabout. I don't wild camp in the winter so the kitchen unit is unbolted and stored in the shed which leaves a 4 seater van, being a low roof van I can also add roof bars and use it for my DIY activities.

We're just back from a weekend in Sunderland and took in the derby match...2-1!

So I pretty much use it all the time.

77W
28-10-2013, 13:33

Eh what you on about ? endles supply of money, endles supply of bills more like it.

If you read it again you will see I said " if I were to use a camp site " each time I went away I couldn't afford to do it.

Rob Mack , inverted snobbery , do you mean me ?

I go away most weekends mostlly staying at the same place in a car park by the sea, if I go anywhere else I tend to find a tucked away spot or end up on an industrial estate

Deleted user 21925
28-10-2013, 14:46
Eh what you on about ? endles supply of money, endles supply of bills more like it.

If you read it again you will see I said " if I were to use a camp site " each time I went away I couldn't afford to do it.

Rob Mack , inverted snobbery , do you mean me ?

I go away most weekends mostlly staying at the same place in a car park by the sea, if I go anywhere else I tend to find a tucked away spot or end up on an industrial estate

No not you 77W, I understood your post. I was referring to the reply!

77W
28-10-2013, 14:52
No not you 77W, I understood your post. I was referring to the reply!

Rob mack , you know i'm such a goon sometimes, I really should have listened more at school ( especially maths & english ) I just googled it & it all maks sense now lol :cheers:

big tom
28-10-2013, 15:40
My wife is a home girl sofa good book and tv, I have always gone away alone three months and 7,000 km last trip prefer it that way, go where I like,stay as long as I like, talk to whoever I like eat and drink what I like, even when at home I often go sit in the van and chill bottle of nice red a few tunes don't do tv my idea of nothing to do. Don't read into this the wrong way the wife and I get on well it's just that we respect each space and separate interests, been married 41 years so we must be doing things right, the van is my only transport so use it every day one way or another.

When we first had our van we spent 6 months a year in it for the first few years,now with grandchildren at various ages latest 4 weeks old the wife is more reluctant to go away for long spells,she is ok for 6/7 weeks Feb March into Spain and the same into S France Sep Oct but she says she does not want to miss them growing up,so I find myself doing more on my own, this year IOM 4 weeks TT and 3 weeks classic,I spent a lot of time working away from home during our married life of 48 years so this does not create any problems,I wonder how many others find themselves in this position.

dave and mary
28-10-2013, 16:30
When we first had our van we spent 6 months a year in it for the first few years,now with grandchildren at various ages latest 4 weeks old the wife is more reluctant to go away for long spells,she is ok for 6/7 weeks Feb March into Spain and the same into S France Sep Oct but she says she does not want to miss them growing up,so I find myself doing more on my own, this year IOM 4 weeks TT and 3 weeks classic,I spent a lot of time working away from home during our married life of 48 years so this does not create any problems,I wonder how many others find themselves in this position.

The grandchildren thing is definitely a ladies thing, and can not be ignored, after 7 years living in Spain and traveling over Europe from there, even with frequent visits back to the uk the kids won. So now we just travel for up to 3/4 months at a time ( not this year unfortunately due to illness ). May be I should try traveling alone but this is where we differ from you, we to have been married for 48 years, but we have worked together for all that time 24/7 and done every thing together, so our van is always 2 up.

:drive: :drive:

Older Gurna
29-10-2013, 17:58
My GF and I love dogging so our camper gets used a lot, most weekends and sometimes during the week if we've enough energy. It's been a real godsend - lots of space and if it gets a bit cold we can invite people in, shut the door and put the heating on. If I feel a bit tired I can put the kettle on and watch our 12v TV.

Don't You find that a lot of our Dogging Sites are plagued by these 'wild camping' low-lifes tho'?
I know the Wife does n't like it if they turn up after We've started...........SLEEPING in a Van?! Perves!

Smaug
29-10-2013, 18:33
I suppose, now that I am retired then my "leisure time" is 24/365. We probably use the van about 3-4 weeks/ year so you could say we use it 6-8%. :cry:

But in reality, our time is still not our own.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS