PDA

View Full Version : Wast Water

SixWheels
21-04-2005, 19:49
Follow signs for Wasdale Head from the A595. At the side of Wast Water there are one or two reasonably good sized gravel lay-by's almost right on the waters edge, and no signs saying 'no overnight stays'.
The scenery is absolutely breathtaking, and it's in the middle of nowhere so little chance of being bothered in the middle of the night.
We've even stayed there in a car, with nothing more than a sleeping bag each :D

Phil

monkeynut
21-12-2005, 07:11
Also there is a large triangular grassy parking area at wasdale head I have stayed there a few times with know problems (as long as you quiet and clean there never is!)

gtcm42
30-12-2005, 22:33
hi phil
can you tell me what part of the uk you are talking about as its not a place or road i know
thanks
gtcm42

monkeynut
31-12-2005, 10:41
Its the western Lakes (lake district) its probberly has the best view in the lakes.
2 Good scenic ways to get there
1; via ambleside and the Wrynonse and Hardnot pass,s down through to Boot /Eskdale/Santon bridge(no good for big motorhomes):unsure:
2:via Broughton in furness /Ulfa /Eskdale/Santon bridge(my faverate route)

SixWheels
25-02-2006, 22:11
Hi, not been on here for a while.

Just follow the A595 north or south, either way you'll come to the turn off for Wasdale (there's two actually) and if you take the one we use then you might just miss the turning at the old post office camp site like I always do :D .

It is as mentioned, probably the most stunning and dramatic part of the Lake District, and the most perfect place for exploring a multitude of fells if you're into exhaustive walking!

Do take care though, the long twisting and winding approach road is very narrow for a lot of the way but is well worth the aggravation.

We've parked on the triangle at Wasdale Head too but never stayed there over night. Last time we were there we cooked dinner while watching the Wasdale Inn going up in flames! thankfully it was only the kitchen that suffered badly.

A pic across Wast Water to the screes from our wild-camp spot (http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/SixWheels/KayakTrip1008.jpg)

Phil

mirams
06-07-2006, 14:16
This is a brilliant spot. Quite a few options down the side of the Lake.

Here's a photo of my favourite:
Wasdale Wild Camp (http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/G9FxNWhIzqJQOWB5UQf5Hw?feat=directlink)

Gary

mirams
29-08-2006, 15:41
As of August '06 there are now National Trust signs dotted along the side of the lake in all the good spots saying "No Camping". Arrived in the dark and didn't notice one until the morning.

Gary

jann
02-09-2006, 10:38
That's always our excuse!!!

landrovereditor
07-10-2007, 21:01
Hi
Stayed at the top of the road just before the Inn on the village green.
Very quiet and dark, no moon.
A couple of cars parked all night but by 8.30am the green was full vehicles.
28th September 2007.:)

t4_chris
08-10-2007, 20:25
I'm heading up to here on Thurs night, hopefully going to try and stay by the lake ;)

monkeynut
08-10-2007, 20:45
Hi
Stayed at the top of the road just before the Inn on the village green.
Very quiet and dark, no moon.
A couple of cars parked all night but by 8.30am the green was full vehicles.
28th September 2007.:)
yup ive stayed there too!

JED THE SPREAD
09-10-2007, 17:19
we were their a couple of weeks ago, have a look if you like

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lIhgutPMkvw

jed

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS