PDA

View Full Version : Diesel injectors

BillyPants
29-10-2013, 23:20
I've been getting poor mpg for a long time and I mentioned this to a mechanic the other day, and said just recently I'd been finding a slight lack of power too. In addition, I occasionally get a metallic rattle on starting now and again, which goes away after 2 minutes of revving at 2,500 rpm. He suggested that it could be fuel injectors and was a 2 day job to fix them.
Does it sound like injectors to anyone and can you recommend a place that does them? It's a 2004 Peugeot Boxer 2.0 HDI with 115,000 on the clock.

Firefox
29-10-2013, 23:47
I would look at the injector timing/tuning, before you go to the expense of new injectors. Also check the oil/filter and camshaft exhaust valve lubrication to eliminate that.

Wooie1958
30-10-2013, 06:18
It would also be helpful if you could say roughly whereabouts in the UK you are. Just a county will do.

It`s no good someone recommending a place in say the North East if you are down in the South West.

BillyPants
30-10-2013, 07:35
Hmmm. I was told not long ago that there was a diesel timing adjuster thing, but I took it to a garage who said no such thing exists!

Sorry wooie you're right. But I tend not to bother as I travel a lot so don't mind where I need to go. Currently in the North East though.

lebesset
30-10-2013, 08:20
friend of mine just had a similar problem , combined with black smoke on cold start

invested 10 in a bottle of injector cleaner [ forte is reckoned to be the best , but they seem to sell only to garages

problem , including black smoke , disappeared

ok , no guarantees , but worth a try at that price

onion
30-10-2013, 09:50
Hi any taxi driver will tell u change the diesel filter if yr loosing MPG, nose from the engine sounds like oil&filter is dirty + you'll get this with the wrong oil as well

Firefox
30-10-2013, 10:51
Injector pump timing is driven off the timing belt chain but can be adjusted to back to TDC for belt wear etc I'm pretty sure. Worth checking this and trying to clean injectors before investing in very expensive repairs like replacing all injectors.

Not sure if it is common rail or if a leak off test can even be performed, but if it can, that may pinpoint any faulty injectors.

tranivanman
30-10-2013, 11:11
Ive used a very good firm in Preston called Diesel Bob, if yuo google it you will find him, you can have them checked to see if they need replacing or what else may be wrong.

hope this helps

tranivanman

Wooie1958
30-10-2013, 13:57
Ive used a very good firm in Preston called Diesel Bob, if yuo google it you will find him, you can have them checked to see if they need replacing or what else may be wrong.

hope this helps

tranivanman

This is him :- Diesel Bob Tuning - Home (http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/)

BillyPants
30-10-2013, 19:50
It helps a lot thank you all. I'm now booked in to get it checked on some live instrument thing, but man-who-knows says it could be anything and the machine will help them determine. 42 for the diagnostic and they'l swap the oil and oil and air filters while they're on. Seems reasonable to me.
BTW I've had Forte stuff before, a gearbox oil additive to fix leaky seals. Worked an absolute treat!

BillyPants
29-01-2014, 12:45
I thought I'd update you all. The problem seems to have resolved itself. I replaced the oil filter which was supposed to have been changed some weeks ago but wasn't, and filled up with Magnatec 10/40. It's driving like a dream and diesel consumption has gone back to where it was.
Bizarre!!

Wooie1958
29-01-2014, 13:07
I thought I'd update you all. The problem seems to have resolved itself. I replaced the oil filter which was supposed to have been changed some weeks ago but wasn't, and filled up with Magnatec 10/40. It's driving like a dream and diesel consumption has gone back to where it was.
Bizarre!!

The problem hasn`t " resolved itself ", you sorted it.

Stick with the 10W40 spec and change the Oil and Fuel filter regular and it will run a treat.

Stay clear of the 5W30 and 5W40 they are too thin and you`ll end up with a leak from the Crank Seal.

dottycom
29-01-2014, 13:48
Next time you change the fuel filter add injector cleaner into it and run at fast tickover for a few minutes.

BillyPants
29-01-2014, 23:56
Thanks Dotty, I do that almost every few months. Doesn't ever seem to make a difference but it makes me feel better lo

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS