PDA

View Full Version : Countrywide Autogas (LPG)

fairytooth
30-10-2013, 14:19
I have been looking around to see if cheaper LPG is available for motorhome use. So far I have contacted Countrywide who have key system pumps dotted around south west England where it is about 60p per litre I believe.

Does anyone have knowledge of other companies that offer this sort of thing per chance?

maingate
30-10-2013, 14:23
If anyone is passing Gateshead on the A1, a company called Procter have an LPG pump on the Team Valley Trading estate selling LPG at 68.4p/litre. For cash sales it is office hours only (pay at the counter).

fairytooth
30-10-2013, 15:19
I have also come across Safefill free-standing refillable cylinders. They seem expensive and hard to come by but has anyone used them?

awasp1
30-10-2013, 17:14
I have been looking around to see if cheaper LPG is available for motorhome use. So far I have contacted Countrywide who have key system pumps dotted around south west England where it is about 60p per litre I believe.

Does anyone have knowledge of other companies that offer this sort of thing per chance?

We use countrywide it is cheap especially if you tell them it is for heating /cooking only, in which case you pay 5% VAT. Last year they reduced the price to reflect falling wholesale prices!

loulou
30-10-2013, 17:48
We use Country wide too, found them to be good value, shame only available from the Midlands to south, could do with a few depots is Scotland.

:drive::drive::drive:

Shockingdog
30-10-2013, 19:14

Have been using Countywide for the last 3 years. Best price I can find for LPG around the midlands.

Kontiki
30-10-2013, 19:41
Have been using Countrywide for a long time, very handy if you are passing any of the depots en route. They are all unmanned & I think most are 24 hours, often can be in unusual places. Easy to register with them you just give your bank account details, you get a key which you also have a pin number to use & a booklet showing where the filling places are along with any codes to access some of the places as they have locked gates at certain times. As said make sure you tell them that you are using it for cooking & heating so you only pay the 5% vat rate. The cost of any gas you fill is deducted from your account at the end of the month. The only charges are for the cost of the gas there is no charge for setting it up so if like us you only use it occasionally then it saves a little bit of money.

BTW I think I have some forms they give you (not sure if they still do) if people use them to sign up they credit a fiver to your account if they use the filling stations.

Firefox
30-10-2013, 19:44
Countrywide pretty useless for me. I've no idea why they use that name when their coverage of the country is hopeless!

Duckrow
30-10-2013, 19:56
So glad to have seen this. I recon I'll get onto the refillable asap

baloothebear
31-10-2013, 06:36
Countrywide pretty useless for me. I've no idea why they use that name when their coverage of the country is hopeless!

They seem to have more branches now than the last time I looked

Countrywide Farmers - Stores (http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/StoreFinder.ice?country=GB&countryRegion=&findStore=findStore&page=stores)

John Thompson
31-10-2013, 09:06
For those not in the Midlands or South West. Calor Gas Ltd will open an account and supply at 5% VAT. However there system will only work if you pay by cash/card. The credit account reads the supply and reverts it to 20% vat automatically before printing the invoice.

I had a lot of problems with Calor at Teeside before they discovered this problem.

You can only get the gas from Galor Gas Ltd depots with an Autogas pump. Many outlets that appear to be Calor depots are franchise/private operations and have their own accounting systems not linked to the main companies one. Each one will need to be approached separately.

See my reply about Road Fuel Duty in the thread http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-motorhome-chat/32720-lpg-fill-up-fitter-tit-2.html

Yorkcov
31-10-2013, 09:33
They seem to have more branches now than the last time I looked

Countrywide Farmers - Stores (http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/StoreFinder.ice?country=GB&countryRegion=&findStore=findStore&page=stores)

Does anyone know if all these branches have autogas?

Regards

Alan

clarkpeacock
31-10-2013, 09:51
Does anyone know if all these branches have autogas?

Regards

Alan

There's a printable list with maps of stores with gas here
http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/pdf/energy/AutogasSites.pdf

maxi77
31-10-2013, 10:47
They are all a trifle far for me, seems they have a different meaning to countrywide from me.

Talbot
31-10-2013, 11:58
Manchester area - Cheshire Gas have LPG filling stations at Stockport, Bury, Bolton, Stalybridge and Manchester. Currently 64p per litre cash only at the pump.

Cheshire Gas (http://www.cheshiregas.co.uk/)

Smaug
31-10-2013, 12:29
Right, how can I get a high pressure connection off my bulk gas tank so I can sell it on to members at 60p/ltr? :dance:

Kontiki
31-10-2013, 15:51
Countrywide is just the trade name of the company (don't think it was ever intended to reflect their area) Countrywide - About Us (http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/Content.ice?page=CorporateAboutUs&pgForward=businesscontentbasic), I don't know of any of their LPG depots actually being at any of their stores. Here is a link to the autogas part of the company with a list of the refueling depots Countrywide - Autogas Homepage (http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/Content.ice?page=AutogasHome&pgForward=businesshome). Understand they are just in the wrong place for many people, for us the nearest one is about 20 miles away so not worth it just for gas, but if we are heading south then we can easily pass a few of them & not go too far off our route.

maxi77
31-10-2013, 15:54
Right, how can I get a high pressure connection off my bulk gas tank so I can sell it on to members at 60p/ltr? :dance:

Bit far off my next trip though, thanks for the offer

vwalan
31-10-2013, 17:53

there already is one by the dide of the filler point .
its probably capped but that is how you get liquid out the tank . it as a long tube going to the bottom of tank . you can get a hose and the fitting for use when re filling your fork lift truck . i imagine you do have one , yes . nod ,wink ,
after all you wouldnt use it for filling gas bottles would you .

Smaug
31-10-2013, 18:04
there already is one by the dide of the filler point .
its probably capped but that is how you get liquid out the tank . it as a long tube going to the bottom of tank . you can get a hose and the fitting for use when re filling your fork lift truck . i imagine you do have one , yes . nod ,wink ,
after all you wouldnt use it for filling gas bottles would you .

Might be fun taking that cap off with 1200 litres of liquid gas in it . . .

vwalan
31-10-2013, 18:08
no probs there is a big screw tap on it . you will need the right fitting but its on the hose .
i have a 1200ltr tank as well.
had it 20 yrs now .

wanderlust51
01-11-2013, 11:24
when i bought gas in spain,at a repsol garage it cost 14.50 euro for 6 kilo if i filled up at a lpg station i thought it would cost about 11 euro about the same as here ? right or wrong

Tezza33
01-11-2013, 12:00
It is dearer in Spain than here, about €0.85 per ltr I think, it used to be cheaper in Europe than here years ago and I used to set off with an empty tank and always filled up to come home, I do the opposite now unless I go through Luxembourg

maxi77
01-11-2013, 12:56
Just topped up the van today in Asda ready for the big trip south and paid 64.7p for gas and 133.7 for diesel.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS