PDA

View Full Version : Motor home Aires set to come to Dorset

PossumGoose
30-10-2013, 19:20
I’ve posted this as an early ‘heads-up’. I’ve long been a critic of Dorset’s poor attitude towards motor homes, but in today’s local paper in an article on the future of parking in Weymouth, there was a mention of improved facilities for motor homes. I emailed the council and (a bit tongue-in-cheek) offered to be of any assistance I could towards this end.

Surprised and delighted to get a phone call within 10mins asking if I would be willing to join a small ‘delivery team’ to make this happen. The chap in charge is Chris Graves, the Head of Parking and Transport for Weymouth and Portland Council. His remit is to do things to improve the footfall in Weymouth attractions, and Chris is well aware of the potential income from motor homers. The basic premise (this from a 10min phone call so not set in stone) is to convert part of a Weymouth car park (15 min walk along the prom from town centre) as a fully serviced Aire. The normal rules would apply i.e. max stay 48hrs, there would be a service point and possible EHU. No mention of costs yet. He wants it up-and-running by Easter next year and money has been set aside for it. Once it is proven successful he would see Aires being rolled out across the area. Chris is under no illusions as to the ‘can’t do that here’ brigade but he seems to be a pretty motivated chap.

Anyway, he’s going to contact his group next week with a programme of meetings. In the meantime, it might be of help if members who might be interested in using an Aire in Weymouth, where to email Weymouth council and let them know of their interest.

Contact through the ‘Dorset for You’ website, follow the link through ‘contact us’ to Weymouth and Portland council, mark fao Chris Graves, Head of Parking and Transport.
Dorset councils online - home - dorsetforyou.com (http://www.dorsetforyou.com/)

Kryten
01-11-2013, 15:33
This sounds very positive. I hope it goes well and Dorset County Council then roll out the scheme to other areas within the county boundaries.

jennyp19
01-11-2013, 16:04
Email duly sent. At last an enlightened council who don't have their heads stuck where the sun don't shine.

Talbot
01-11-2013, 16:59
Thanks for the heads up PossumGoose. As requested have sent supportive email fao Chris Graves.

Swifty09
05-12-2013, 17:47
I have emailed Chris Graves at Weymouth regarding the proposed Aires in Weymouth and surrounding areas. We motorhomers need to drive this sort of thing forward there are too many (not Motorhomers) who have a not in our back yard attitude for no good reason other than they have some small amount of voice or power which which they feel entitled to restricted or curtail others enjoyment. THIS INITIATIVE in WEYMOUTH IS REFRESHING.

phillybarbour
05-12-2013, 18:03
Best of luck with that hope it happens.

Tezza33
05-12-2013, 19:11
Email sent

glenboy
05-12-2013, 20:17
Best of luck with your meetings PossumGoose have sent requested e mail

Makzine
05-12-2013, 21:48
Email sent, haven't been to Dorset since the kids were small so would be nice to think we were welcome to go in the motorhome.

Sharon the Cat
06-12-2013, 04:47
I haven't been to Weymouth in ages. Have emailed the council & added my support for this refreshing initiative.
Well done for letting us all know & for volunteering to the council.:nicethread:

dave and mary
06-12-2013, 05:36
great news we tried to visit Weymouth once in the m/h but gave up as we could not find parking.

So fingers crossed and lets hope it happens and others follow.

:drive: :drive:

Kontiki
06-12-2013, 06:50
Last time we visited Weymouth we gave up tying to anywhere to park just to shop, every car park we tried had a height barrier. Since then we just avoid the area, welcome change for them to consider an aire & would consider visiting the area again.

Maybe if an aire can be established somewhere & show the benefits to the local community it can be used as an example for other councils.

TheCoggins
06-12-2013, 07:00
Well done.
All they need to do is follow the efforts of Canterbury.

Dezi
06-12-2013, 07:30
As you drive down from oop norf you pick up the M27 / A31 at Eastleigh, what ever you do stay on it through Ringwood to Dorchester then “et voila” you are in sunny Weymouth.

Trust me this is the best & shortest way to get there avoiding the terrible bottlenecks in Bournemouth.

Just trying to help.

Dezi :cheers:

Tezza
06-12-2013, 15:30
Having lived in Weymouth for over 20 years I would not hold my breath on this. Weymouth parking has always been a shambles. And also very expensive compared to other places. Only have to back 15 months to when the Olympics were here to see the utter chaos the council presided over. Why do motorhome owners think they will be treated better than ordinary motorists? It is he'll getting to Weymouth even though we have the new road in from Dorchester .once here parking is neigh on impossible.i think the council need to be taken to Wales and France to see how it should be done..I could go on and on about this but will just say a word to the wise.......wait and see

ournev
06-12-2013, 16:56
Email on it's way and Weymouth on my list of places to visit.

Thanks for the heads up.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS