PDA

View Full Version : Run fridge with cover on?

Sharon the Cat
01-11-2013, 05:51
We want to put the fridge on tonight on ehu but the weather forecast means that we don't want to take the cover off until tomorrow morning. The cover is breathable Pro-tec.
Any problems with this?

Teutone
01-11-2013, 06:01
electric will be fine in my opinion. Just don't use it on gas!

phillybarbour
01-11-2013, 06:01
If it's a Dometic then covers are only required at temps below 5 degrees approx! above this they should not be fitted. Hope that helps.

Teutone
01-11-2013, 06:36
If it's a Dometic then covers are only required at temps below 5 degrees approx! above this they should not be fitted. Hope that helps.

I think she means a FULL cover over the motorhome.

Sharon the Cat
01-11-2013, 07:05
I think she means a FULL cover over the motorhome.

Yes, sorry.

Moot point now. Early morning change of plan. We're leaving after work today so cover is already off, water tank filing as I type. :banana:

Thanks for the advice, will remember it for next time.

maxi77
01-11-2013, 08:03
The fridge does depend on ventilation through the vents for efficient working, though at current weather conditions it is unlikely to make much difference. Of course operating on gas with the cover on could cause a build up of combustion gas in the vehicle which would not be a good thing.

Sharon the Cat
01-11-2013, 08:12
The fridge does depend on ventilation through the vents for efficient working, though at current weather conditions it is unlikely to make much difference. Of course operating on gas with the cover on could cause a build up of combustion gas in the vehicle which would not be a good thing.

Don't worry we'd never try it on gas, thanks.

Sharon the Cat
01-11-2013, 11:56
:cool:

Kontiki
01-11-2013, 22:10
The fridge works as a heat exchanger & blocking the vents would decrease the efficiency, with the weather being cooler I don't now how much this would effect it. Temperature is starting to get near the level where we need to put the winter covers on so probably wouldn't make much difference with a full cover on. If you are planning on going away would it make much difference taking the cover off a day early?

We find sticking a few ice packs the night before will get the fridge pretty cold.

Teutone
02-11-2013, 08:28
I think you should make sure that the back of the fridge is not in any way connected to the interior. Remember there is GAS coming out at the bottom if you run the fridge on gas.
There needs to be a sufficient opening in the floor ideally where the gas burner is located to let unburned gas escape through the floor.

Many times I looked at the heat exchanger of the fridge and was wondering how we could utilise the heat which is going to be wasted otherwise. All the low engery houses some sort of air to air heat exchanger.

Maybe luke warm water could be generated? A little tank inside with a water cooler used at the fridge and a small pump circulates it slowly? Getting carried away now.......:baby:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS