PDA

View Full Version : The yanks are coming!

mrbadger
02-11-2013, 08:29
We're thinking of buying an American R.V.

Anyone got one?
Know anything about them?

Would appreciate all comments, info, experiences, ideas, whatever!

Cheers!

Wooie1958
02-11-2013, 08:50
The first thing that springs to mind is that if you use Campsites you need to keep it under 28 foot.

The majority ( not all ) of sites will not accept them any larger.

The second thing is that if you do much Wild Camping they are very conspicuous and tend to attract quite a bit of attention.

Good luck in your search they are an awful lot out there for sale ................... be picky very picky .

witzend
02-11-2013, 09:36
Really nice to have one comfort is top class in the ones I've seen. The weight,size and fuel costs are the down side but if you can cope with these no problem

Smaug
02-11-2013, 09:40
Might be nice as a static . . . :lol-049:

or on the driveway as a bed-sit.

Fazerloz
02-11-2013, 11:12
You get far more for your money with yanks, diesels tend to be noisey, buy a petrol and get a decent lpg conversion on it 2000+ it will soon pay for itself.
Not all American rv are monsters have a look at Pleasureway and Roadtreks its what I fancy .:camper:

Bopper
02-11-2013, 12:26
I had one years ago. I took it around England and Wales for 10 months and enjoyed it immensely but as mentioned they are a pain to find a parking spot. I would not own one now though because it is even harder now to find a spot. Mine was gas converted but still only did 18 mpg when you did the sums, it was a 6.5 ltr Chevrolet.
The luxury compared to UK ones was way better and the build was terriffic.
I would think very carefully about buying one, make sure you can insure it, that it can be used on UK roads (Some are too wide) That you have the right licence to drive it and more importantly, the funds to run it.

(See pics)18092180931809418095

MANtruck
13-11-2013, 08:53
Hi
I used to import RV's
My thoughts:
Avoid, at all costs the likes of countryman etc, horrendous build quality and will cost a fortune to keep running. I would recommend Winnebago and Tiffin both do a small van 26' plus, superb build quality and fantastic layout's. I would not buy a Diesel, they are very noisy, slow, and not that good on fuel. Bank on 9 to 10 MPG for the Petrol models this is a realistic return in real world driving I personally, have never found LPG to give the economy advertised and don't forget the weight. If you are on a non HGV licence you will have to watch the payload EG a 29' Winnebago Sightseer will, if you cheat a little, come in at just under 7.5 tonnes. Put a sausage in the fridge and it is overweight. I would ask to see a current weight certificate before I parted with my hard earned.
Do not be put off by mileage, these chassis and mechanical s are designed to do over 500,000 miles. Look out for interior panel rot and exterior delamination. Check the dates on the tyres, they never wear out but can become dangerous through age. Most of the internal fitments are made by the same companies so expertise and parts should be easy to come by.
As with all things, buying a Motoerhome is a compromise, if you want to explore an RV is not for you but, if you time away is spent not to far from the main roads then the RV will give you 5* comfort and huge water, waste and sewage capacities so finding the ideal spot means you can stay there for up to a month, with care.
Hope this helps

clarkpeacock
13-11-2013, 12:32
Don't know what your budget is, but when we were looking to replace our motorhome a couple of months ago, this one was very nearly what we had, but just pipped to the post by a Mirage 5000. american motor home rv. winnebago dreamsrv centre | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/american-motor-home-rv-winnebago-dreamsrv-centre-/261320377639?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item3cd7e88527)

Would be kicking myself now though as it's 4000 less than they were asking then! I did offer the full price if it they would fit LPG, but they wouldn't, so we chose the Mirage.

That said, it is a fantastic little RV at only 20ft long with every goody you could want - fully loaded as they say!

7.1 litre V10 engine with, if I remember right, 350BHP. Serious bragging rights in the pub!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS