PDA

View Full Version : led lighting

Rodeo
02-11-2013, 17:23
Appologies if this is a repost!
Ive always used 12v strip lighting,but want to now use led lights,mainly to save on power. According to the Maplins site,there are strips of led's you can cut off in groups of 3 ,then just solder wires and plug into 12volt,via a switch or whatever etc.Obviously they have to be mounted in, under or on something,but this suits me ,as I have a few quirky(as usual!) ideas to mount them.My question is ,are they any good in this form ,or are the 'manufactured' led lights better,as they have a reflective lens,therefore brighter? Also,is good ole' Maplins the cheapest place to buy them? Anyone had any experiences?
Thanks

n brown
02-11-2013, 17:29
I put 8 of these in the ambi I just finished,great for concealed lighting under units etc stuck them on with hot melt glue.very white light,i put a centre light in for looking for the lost contact lens or blim etc 2 x 48cm 48 White LED Linear Flexible Car Neon Strip Light 12V UK | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190895155354?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

Wooie1958
02-11-2013, 17:31
I put 8 of these in the ambi I just finished,great for concealed lighting under units etc stuck them on with hot melt glue.very white light,i put a centre light in for looking for the lost contact lens or blim etc 2 x 48cm 48 White LED Linear Flexible Car Neon Strip Light 12V UK | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190895155354?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

I use this to stick mine in with :- 3m *10mm Foam Tape Car Auto Truck Acrylic Attachment Double Side Adhesive 300cm | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3m-10mm-Foam-Tape-Car-Auto-Truck-Acrylic-Attachment-Double-Side-Adhesive-300cm-/331057891943?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_ Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item4d14968a67)

Rodeo
02-11-2013, 17:35
They look good! (and cheap!) Theres enough of them to be able to work out what is needed to give enough power and also not be too bright.Can they be cut every 3?

DTDog
02-11-2013, 17:36
The strips are good, I have them under the kitchen area of my van, but also have 'proper' LED bulbs in most of my other bulb holders.

The strip has a sticky underside so you can mount them where you want, but I have found I haver had to re-apply more double sided sticky to this on some of the strips.
Yes, it's a 'simple' cut the strip at a 'third' interval and solder the wires to make a connection. Simple if you are good at delicate soldering. I found it a 'hit and miss' affair getting a good contact. Finding it best to first apply a small blob of solder to the ends of the strip and then re heating the blob as you let the wire drop into the blob!!

Have you checked out the Wild Camping Shop (http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/shop) for LED bulbs. At these prices it's probably as easy to just swap the bulbs over.

You will find that an LED equivalent bulb uses a 10th of the power. A 21w 'normal' bulb will be about 2w and give off as much if not more light than the 'normal' bulb.

n brown
02-11-2013, 17:37
not as far as I know .

Bakedbeans
02-11-2013, 17:39
about 12 for 5m of them from ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-M-3528-SMD-12-V-LED-Strip-light-300-leds-DAY-WHITE-/270767447257?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Night_Lights_Fairy_ Lights&hash=item3f0aff5cd9)

They work :)

Wooie1958
02-11-2013, 17:45
Thousands to choose from :- white led strip lights | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=led+strip+lights&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.Xwhite+led +strip+lights&_nkw=white+led+strip+lights&_sacat=0)

Gemani2
02-11-2013, 17:47
We've used these, we've had 4 lots from the same seller on ebay 4.59 for two strips of 72 LEDs, including postage !

"2 pcs 72cm White LED Strip Light Waterproof Aquarium Fish Tank Underwater 12Volt "

Just pop this description above on ebay and it will come up with the seller. ' elec-touch(197607) '

They are brill and we've changed all ours to,these , even the awning light and the one snide the wardrobe

Wooie1958
02-11-2013, 17:49
We've used these, we've had 4 lots from the same seller on ebay 4.59 for two strips of 72 LEDs, including postage !

"2 pcs 72cm White LED Strip Light Waterproof Aquarium Fish Tank Underwater 12Volt "

Just pop this description above on ebay and it will come up with the seller. ' elec-touch(197607) '

They are brill and we've changed all ours to,these , even the awning light and the one snide the wardrobe

Here you go :- 2 pcs 72cm White LED Strip Light Waterproof Aquarium Fish Tank Underwater 12Volt | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-pcs-72cm-White-LED-Strip-Light-Waterproof-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Underwater-12Volt-/300708457339?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item46039eeb7b)

dr dave
02-11-2013, 18:30
Just got these from ebay. Waterproof, self adhesive and warm white and can be cut (with scissors every 3 leds.) They are simply great. cut them to the required length cut the curved soft plastic covering off by gently slicing with a stanley knife carefully without cutting through the flexible PCB where the contacts are marked + & - and solder your wires onto these contacts, if you want to finish off the end with a blob of glue gun or heat shrink sleeve to seal where the wires connect. Then if you want to dim them slightly to save power or to extend the life and to make sure that you don't run them over the rated voltage put a couple of silicon rectifiers in series with the positive supply as these will drop approx 0.7 volts each (I used two) and a 1 amp fuse just to be sure.
12V 5M 3528/5050 WARM WHITE WATERPROOF 300PCS LED STRIP LIGHT | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281008503252?var=580150215290&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)

Delivery took two days
Dave

Deadsfo
02-11-2013, 18:32
so do you simply stick the strip of LED's against the surface you have selected to place a light source,if so dont they look a bit 'tatty' just sat there glued to a 'raw' surface,does'nt the heat generated cause a blemish on the surface , or can you get some type of lamp holder to mount them in

Rodeo
02-11-2013, 19:44
Definitely going to give leds a go when I get to that stage in the build.Couple more weeks.

Wooie1958
02-11-2013, 20:17
so do you simply stick the strip of LED's against the surface you have selected to place a light source,if so dont they look a bit 'tatty' just sat there glued to a 'raw' surface,does'nt the heat generated cause a blemish on the surface , or can you get some type of lamp holder to mount them in

LED`s give off virtually no heat.

Deleted user 21925
04-11-2013, 14:02

I stuck the LED strips inside the old fluorescent cases, but to do this you have to bypass the little inverter between the switch and the contact with the bulbs because fluoros' use a higher startup voltage. I in fact ripped out the switch and inverter and replaced the switch with a new one from Maplins.

n brown
04-11-2013, 14:54
so do you simply stick the strip of LED's against the surface you have selected to place a light source,if so dont they look a bit 'tatty' just sat there glued to a 'raw' surface,does'nt the heat generated cause a blemish on the surface , or can you get some type of lamp holder to mount them inI put a pelmet under my top cupboards and this hides the strip

Bakedbeans
04-11-2013, 19:09
I stuck the LED strips inside the old fluorescent cases, but to do this you have to bypass the little inverter between the switch and the contact with the bulbs because fluoros' use a higher startup voltage. I in fact ripped out the switch and inverter and replaced the switch with a new one from Maplins.

I did the very same except I un soldered the switch from the little circuit board and used it.

Smaug
04-11-2013, 19:51

Glue right against a corner or behind a "pelmet" and they are not obvious when off & fine when on. As already explained, led's are cold not hot which is one reason why they use so little power.

You can buy led's made up on bases that fit into any standard bulb fitting, I used 15mm bayonet twin contact "led bulbs" to replace all the tungsten bulbs in the existing light fittings on the boat without changing the daytime appearance of the saloon or cabins at all. No stress about the G-kids leaving their lights on all night now.

maxi77
04-11-2013, 20:04
Glue right against a corner or behind a "pelmet" and they are not obvious when off & fine when on. As already explained, led's are cold not hot which is one reason why they use so little power.

They can get hot enough to soften the self adhesive backing on the strip as I found out with them in my kitchen

martino
04-11-2013, 21:29
As an alternative to e-bay,try IKEA,I bought a couple of strips,you can push them together,come with switches etc,loads to choose from & I seem to remember them being cheapish.Sometimes nice to physically see what you are buying.I like their coffee too!

Smaug
04-11-2013, 21:36
They can get hot enough to soften the self adhesive backing on the strip as I found out with them in my kitchen

You don't think that was general kitchen heat & moisture then? I glued mine up with bathroom sealant & not had any problems.

maxi77
04-11-2013, 21:44
You don't think that was general kitchen heat & moisture then? I glued mine up with bathroom sealant & not had any problems.

Well they would stay up permanently if not switched on and fall of after being on for an hour or so, so I have that tiny suspicion it was the heat generated by me foolishly switching them on.

Beemer
04-11-2013, 21:50
I have colour changing LEDs, the yellow light seems to be kinder on the eyes than the white.
18168 18167
The LEDs were bought off ebay..the 5m colour changing with remote. I think I paid about 8 by bidding.

sp2 boy
04-11-2013, 23:02

Handy for attracting the 'dogging' crowd or those with seeking 'an appointment' with cash whilst 'wildcamping'! :scared:

Beemer
05-11-2013, 12:09
Handy for attracting the 'dogging' crowd or those with seeking 'an appointment' with cash whilst 'wildcamping'! :scared:

Cash only I am afraid! So many untrustworthy people about.... and the money to pay for the motorhome has to come from somewhere! :p

David & Ann
06-11-2013, 07:36
My bayonet type led bulbs arrived yesterday. The bulbs 12v 21w are orange for the blinkers/turning. I put them in and the light goes into a rapid blink instead of the normal blink. Please advise what can this problem be. All I can think of is maybe has a low resistance or something like that. I have NO knowledge of electrics. Thanks.☺☺

Deleted user 21925
06-11-2013, 07:40
You probably need LED load resistors, there are loads on Ebay designed for this problem.

Wooie1958
06-11-2013, 07:43
My bayonet type led bulbs arrived yesterday. The bulbs 12v 21w are orange for the blinkers/turning. I put them in and the light goes into a rapid blink instead of the normal blink. Please advise what can this problem be. All I can think of is maybe has a low resistance or something like that. I have NO knowledge of electrics. Thanks.☺☺

You need to add in some Load Resistors :- 2pcs Load Resistor Fix LED Bulb Fast Flash Turn Signal Blink Blinker 25W 8ohm | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-Load-Resistor-Fix-LED-Bulb-Fast-Flash-Turn-Signal-Blink-Blinker-25W-8ohm-/271295078822?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f2a7261a6)

There are plenty to choose from these are just an example.

David & Ann
06-11-2013, 07:46
You probably need LED load resistors, there are loads on Ebay designed for this problem.

Hi Robmac, thanks for your advice. Will I need Led load resistors for each and every bulb as I have a total of 8 turning bulbs on my MH. ☺☺

maxi77
06-11-2013, 07:47

Most flasher units have a crude failed bulb detection system based on reduced current flow. By fitting LEDs you have reduced the current flow so the flasher is telling you that a bulb has failed by the rapid flashing. You need either a flasher unit that likes LEDs or something to make your flasher think it is seeing ordinary bulbs

Deleted user 21925
06-11-2013, 07:54
Hi Robmac, thanks for your advice. Will I need Led load resistors for each and every bulb as I have a total of 8 turning bulbs on my MH. ☺☺

There is a guide here;

Load resistors for LED indicator bulb replacement | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Load-resistors-for-LED-indicator-bulb-replacement-/10000000010344226/g.html)

I am afraid you will need a resistor for each bulb!

David & Ann
06-11-2013, 07:55
There is a guide here;

Load resistors for LED indicator bulb replacement | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Load-resistors-for-LED-indicator-bulb-replacement-/10000000010344226/g.html)

I am afraid you will need a resistor for each bulb!

Thank you much appreciated ☺

Deleted user 21925
06-11-2013, 08:07
Thank you much appreciated ☺

Glad to be of help. Just bear in mind that the resistors do get hot so bear in mind where you site them, although I am not aware of anybody having any problems through this.

David & Ann
06-11-2013, 08:43
Glad to be of help. Just bear in mind that the resistors do get hot so bear in mind where you site them, although I am not aware of anybody having any problems through this.

Thank you once again. I think I will get all the items together and get it done by a garage as I don't have the faintest idea about wiring. Bulb changing is as far I am prepared to go. ☺☺☺

maxi77
06-11-2013, 08:50

They get hot because they have to get rid of the power that would have been consumed by a conventional bulb so that the flasher unit thinks it has it's norrmal bulbs. This will negate any power saving from using LEDs, these are supposed to give you the correct flashing and power saving

Deleted user 21925
06-11-2013, 08:54
They get hot because they have to get rid of the power that woud have been consumed by a conventional bulb so that the flasher unit thinks it has it's norrmal bulbs. This will negate any power saving from using LEDs

Power saving shouldn't really be an issue as the alternator will provide the power. I use LED's because of the longevity of the bulbs, the marker lights on my MH never lasted very long so I switched to LED and haven't had to change them since. I also plan to change the rest of the vehicle lights apart from the headlights which is illegal unless factory fitted.

maxi77
06-11-2013, 09:12
Power saving shouldn't really be an issue as the alternator will provide the power. I use LED's because of the longevity of the bulbs, the marker lights on my MH never lasted very long so I switched to LED and haven't had to change them since. I also plan to change the rest of the vehicle lights apart from the headlights which is illegal unless factory fitted.

Ah but the alternator consumes power and thus fuel which is why you saw them first in buses. In general I find that normal car bulbs last quite well, I carry spares but very rarely need them, on the van the problem is much more terminal corrosion.

Deleted user 21925
06-11-2013, 09:26
Ah but the alternator consumes power and thus fuel which is why you saw them first in buses. In general I find that normal car bulbs last quite well, I carry spares but very rarely need them, on the van the problem is much more terminal corrosion.

But are you not consuming roughly the same power with the load resistor so therefore no loss in fuel consumption, or maybe miniscule? But LED's will definitely outlast standard bulbs many times over and should pay for themselves.

maxi77
06-11-2013, 11:51
But are you not consuming roughly the same power with the load resistor so therefore no loss in fuel consumption, or maybe miniscule? But LED's will definitely outlast standard bulbs many times over and should pay for themselves.

Their purpose is to increase from the small amount of current flow and thus power used for the LED to the equivalent of a 21W bulb because that is what makes the flasher work, this power is release as heat just as with the bulb which is why they are big and enclosed in metal heat sinks

Deleted user 21925
06-11-2013, 12:18
Their purpose is to increase from the small amount of current flow and thus power used for the LED to the equivalent of a 21W bulb because that is what makes the flasher work, this power is release as heat just as with the bulb which is why they are big and enclosed in metal heat sinks

Hang on I'm getting confused! Are you saying that an LED with resistor increasing power up to 21W will make the alternator work harder than a standard 21W bulb?:confused:

I'm not wishing to argue, just want to understand electrics better.

maxi77
06-11-2013, 15:48
Hang on I'm getting confused! Are you saying that an LED with resistor increasing power up to 21W will make the alternator work harder than a standard 21W bulb?:confused:

I'm not wishing to argue, just want to understand electrics better.

No that an LED bulb with a resister uses the same power as the 21w bulb it replace, ie no power saving. 21w is 21w

dr dave
06-11-2013, 16:18
Personally i don't think replacing indicator, brake or tail lights with LED equivalents is worthwhile. Filament bulbs in these applications don't blow that often without reason and they are cheap to replace, Why invest in LED's when the fitting of a ballast resistor (to fool the CANbus into thinking that a filament bulb is fitted and drawing the correct amount of current) is necessary. After all if you have a bulb failure detector and the led failed the ballast resistor would report that all is well with the bulb. For energy saving lighting in Motorhome's they are without question worthwhile.

Deleted user 21925
06-11-2013, 16:20
No that an LED bulb with a resister uses the same power as the 21w bulb it replace, ie no power saving. 21w is 21w

Yes I think we are talking at cross purposes.

Suntor 100
04-12-2013, 21:55

Hi Robmac if you look in, I have 2 lumo 8" circular ceiling lights with flourecent tube in each to give general lighting through the van. I like your idea of stripping out the interior and putting the strip led lights in. Question: does it matter how many led's are on any one strip (i think i'm right in thinking 3 is the minimum, but at the widest part of the base 7-8 led's may fit, is this ok?)
If several strips are needed side by side do you just solder connecting wires in series to fit the strips into the base of the light? Are the strips connected direct to the 12v power wires that supplied the flourecent tube or are other components needed for the led strips to work.
Having fitted the reading lights with led's and seeing that the power meter doesn't move when all four are switched on, I can see my battery lasting much longer. As an aside, the tv is 12v but use's 16w when fired up, are there any better tv's with lower power consumption?
Any answers appreciated.

Tezza33
05-12-2013, 00:31
Personally i don't think replacing indicator, brake or tail lights with LED equivalents is worthwhile. Filament bulbs in these applications don't blow that often without reason and they are cheap to replace, .My van is nearly 12 years old and I have not had to replace any bulbs apart from the orange indicator bulbs that lose colour so I agree with you, interior lighting is a different matter of course, since I changed all mine to LED I have never had to get the genny out

trevskoda
05-12-2013, 08:24
i use auto bulbs from ebay 1156 is the code,you can have them in pure white or soft white,they also do compleat strip or round lamps very cheep,about 5 bucks up.

hippy travels
05-12-2013, 12:31
I have ordered some of these save a lot of fafing with the soldering not got round to doing the lights yet still fitting the bus out but i will let you all know what there like :rolleyes::rolleyes:

10 x PCB Connector Adapters for 3528/5050 Single Color LED Strip Connect to END | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221270675599?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)

exwindsurfer
05-12-2013, 13:27

ive just fitted a 1mtr lenght in my wardrobe with a door switch works great .All the other lights in van are leds to .

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS