PDA

View Full Version : well and truely road tested!!

Casaloco
03-11-2013, 08:58
well the old girl made it. My M.O.T failure Renault master (now M.O.T'd of course) has just got us to Lisbon and back. Newly named 'Esperanza' to stand for "I 'Hope' she gets us there and back!!!!

she obviously looked like a terrorist or drug smugglers van for the amount of attention we got from the Spanish police (rudely awoken at midnight!!) and the French Border patrol (one road block and then 3 police bikes) which of course the boys found highly exciting!!

So now the hard work begins, I was going to leave her looking like a van and just doing the insides but am now wondering if it may be better to make her look a bit more like a camper.

so after leaving Honbarribia at 7am Friday morning at getting back home yesterday, I'm set to spend the morning in bed doing research!!!

lots of condensation on the inside of the roof. how do fix that? I just watched a video on someone converting a ford and he'd put insulation on the ceiling, but what stuff would i use? but also i have 4 lights already fitted to the roof in the back controlled by a switch in the cab.

also want to look at LPG conversion and possible ways of battery recharging! think we have water under control the boys are useful for something other that squabbling!!

C:\Users\owner\Desktop\IMG_0447.JPEG

666jw
03-11-2013, 09:26
Hi Casaloco, have a look on magbrin's thread titled " Bespoke Conversions" from couple of days ago. The link on Full Timers post to mota@home, who show a great video on the conversion in steps, including insulating the van roof. Good luck.

Casaloco
03-11-2013, 09:51
fab thank you, ill take a look.

plum loco
03-11-2013, 12:54
I am converting a transit at the moment.You will be amazed at what you can do,it's a never ending prosess swapping and changeing things you've already done,but beware of the headaches you will get trying to take it all in.

Casaloco
03-11-2013, 15:15
we have just stayed in it for 2 weeks so i had a decent idea of where i want things, some things have changed already, lol. i have to use as much as i can from the old caravan or scrap yard then tart it up a bit. good job i watched Blue Peter as a child!!! as long as its comfortable.

n brown
03-11-2013, 15:51
if by battery recharging you mean charging a leisure battery off the engine then you need one of these RING TOWING RCT460 SMARTCOM CARAVAN RELAY (12S SYSTEMS) | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RING-TOWING-RCT460-SMARTCOM-CARAVAN-RELAY-12S-SYSTEMS-/360464581515?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item53ed5d038b) more info if you need it,as for the ceiling nearly any form of insulation will stop condensation, rockwool,carpet,kingspan,polystyrene,camping mats etc.stick up with spray adhesive,or gripfill etc,best is to put up a ceiling with insulation

Casaloco
03-11-2013, 16:16
if by battery recharging you mean charging a leisure battery off the engine then you need one of these RING TOWING RCT460 SMARTCOM CARAVAN RELAY (12S SYSTEMS) | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RING-TOWING-RCT460-SMARTCOM-CARAVAN-RELAY-12S-SYSTEMS-/360464581515?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item53ed5d038b) more info if you need it,as for the ceiling nearly any form of insulation will stop condensation, rockwool,carpet,kingspan,polystyrene,camping mats etc.stick up with spray adhesive,or gripfill etc,best is to put up a ceiling with insulation

am i right in thinking that i can use the 12S wires that are on the caravan/ tow bar connectors? i've just been given 2 rolls of loft insulation. found foil insulation reasonably cheap in Wikes, and 5mx 2m roll of carpet & glue for 57 on ebay. want to post some before and progress pictures but dont know how?
Thanks for all advice, much appreciated.

Casaloco
03-11-2013, 22:11
a few queries that have popped up

i watched a conversion video and the chap said that the gas bottle needs to be stored in a gas box?? for insurance purposes. is this correct

does gas pipe have to be copper or can you use flexi pipe?

is it ok to have the back doors blocked off from the sleeping quarters?

n brown
03-11-2013, 22:29
what does it say a'gas box' comprises ?
copper is better,but there are no regs
don't understand the last question about the back doors,but it's probably ok

Casaloco
03-11-2013, 22:48
what does it say a'gas box' comprises ?
copper is better,but there are no regs
don't understand the last question about the back doors,but it's probably ok

A metal lined box with a down vent, in case of a leak. I was going to store the gas bottle just inside the back door.

i wanted to make a 'boot' area about 2 feet deep, with shelves, only accessible when you open back doors up. So there would be a back wall inside the camper?

norrie14
03-11-2013, 23:54
I have done that with my transit will try and post photo
A metal lined box with a down vent, in case of a leak. I was going to store the gas bottle just inside the back door.

i wanted to make a 'boot' area about 2 feet deep, with shelves, only accessible when you open back doors up. So there would be a back wall inside the camper?

Casaloco
04-11-2013, 12:24
I have done that with my transit will try and post photo

YES that's it. have just realised that we took out the wood divider from behind the cab before we went away and i can use that to make the back wall, and its already cut to shape, Bonus!!!

n brown
04-11-2013, 15:12
NOW I understand !! of course it's fine to block off the doors, there should always be a drop out hole near a gas bottle in case of leaks,and good practice to put a dropout near every joint.

Casaloco
05-11-2013, 06:23
NOW I understand !! of course it's fine to block off the doors, there should always be a drop out hole near a gas bottle in case of leaks,and good practice to put a dropout near every joint.

Fab thank you, spent yesterday rigging an old awning up to the side of the van so i can start working on it soon.

how big would the holes have to be for the drop outs at the joints?

theres a panel been cut out of the roof about 40x70 ish cm, which has been covered with white metal stuck over the hole. i would like to replace this with something see through!! apart from trying to find a roof window this size is there anything else i could use that will stand up to heat and cold?

Casaloco
05-11-2013, 15:39
sorry another question. do you HAVE to put additional windows into the side of the van??

mark61
05-11-2013, 16:45
I think to be registered as MH you need at least one side window.

Casaloco
16-11-2013, 06:26
Hi again. am not getting on very well!!! :confused: looking at the costs of a side window :scared: and i cant find anything second hand within 200 miles! am now thinking that i will have to use one of the caravans windows. Is this acceptable? also want to use one for the roof sky light to have solar hot water! also can anyone suggest a cheap motor home insurance company? thanks in advance ;)

oldish hippy
16-11-2013, 07:03
well look for sliding door with window in replace your door then sell other on ebay and get little back

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS