PDA

View Full Version : Mosel

tandc
03-11-2013, 16:28
Hi,
I know it is a bit early to ask this question but I like to plan well in advance
we are thinking about going down the mosel at the beginning of next September
We will be going from Calais down the Mosel and then back into france .We have never done this area before
we always go somewhere in france and have never been into Germany before.So we wondered
if anyone could help us with route from Calais also any stopovers aires ,sites etc .any help at all would be very much appreciated many thanks tandc.:D:D

zipnolan
03-11-2013, 16:46
Hi,
I know it is a bit early to ask this question but I like to plan well in advance
we are thinking about going down the mosel at the beginning of next September
We will be going from Calais down the Mosel and then back into france .We have never done this area before
we always go somewhere in france and have never been into Germany before.So we wondered
if anyone could help us with route from Calais also any stopovers aires ,sites etc .any help at all would be very much appreciated many thanks tandc.:D:D

check your PM.....ZIP

rommel
03-11-2013, 16:54
Lots of Stelplatz all the way down make sure you are in Cochem 28 Aug to 1 Sept for the wine festival and particularly the 31st one of the the best firework display you are likely to see with two alternating displays answering each other from the barge on the river and the ramparts of the castle.

UFO
03-11-2013, 17:00
Lots of Stelplatz all the way down make sure you are in Cochem 28 Aug to 1 Sept for the wine festival and particularly the 31st one of the the best firework display you are likely to see with two alternating displays answering each other from the barge on the river and the ramparts of the castle.

Take a glass with you to the parade as each float pours wine into the spectators glasses

UFO
03-11-2013, 17:14
We were on the Mosel for a couple of days in September. Many of the Stelplatz were jammed full. We stopped overnight at -

Ernst - 50° 8'43.36"N 7°13'38.15"E, just off the road so not ideal, close to river and restaurants
Traben-Trarbach - 49°56'55.17"N 7° 6'56.53"E, great spot overlooking the river, close to the road and almost under the bridge but not too much noise. Great view from our 'front window' overlooking the river and the illuminated town at night.

We would have done more but not enough time, the original plan was to follow the river to Trier.

Diplodicus
03-11-2013, 18:02
Strangely, arrived back from Mosel/Rhine yesterday. Appreciate that it is autumn - summer may be different but!
Headed towards Trier - camped at Redange - by the swimming pool - free.
Fill up with fuel while in Luxemburg - very cheap.
Mehring - cost 8 Euros including electricity
Munster Mehring - ideal for Burg Eltz but bugger to find! Free but no facilities.
Visit the Deutche Etc monument in Koblenz
Then down the Rhine - Lorelie (ignore spelling) 5 Euros to park in car park - stunning views over the Rhine and very peaceful. Could sit for hours watching the boats negotiate the tight bend.
Back up the Rhine
Baccarach - 5 Euros inc electricity.

In France - Grand Fort Phillipe - great sight over looking the harbour - free but no facilities.
Hope the above suffices but supper calls.

witzend
03-11-2013, 20:40
nice aire atDun sur Muse near river and ww1 battle fields. Brauneberger on mosel. weather was terrible while we where there this year so the rest of Mosel and Rhine was more or less a drive by.We came back into Alsace and done the wine route some really nice villages to explore stopped at Kayserberg. before heading south for better weather. Other stops used were just carparks where ever we needed

This site is great if you'd like to see some Stella Platz before you go. Visueller Stellplatz-Führer für Wohnmobile und Reisemobile in Deutschland mit Videos, Blog, Tipps und Trends. | womoclick.de (http://www.womoclick.de/stellplaetze.php)

Cliffy
03-11-2013, 21:25
We spent all of this September travelling the Rhine and Mosel. I would recommend starting at Koblenz, travel to Rudeshiem down the east bank of the the Rhine. From Rudesheim Go down the bridge in Mainz and cross to the west side and travel back up to Koblenz then set off down the Mosel from there as far as Nancy. A stop off at Camping Le Accueil in Luxemberg is with the short detour even if it is only to fuel up.

The Rhine is short of Stellplatz but there are quite a few places to stop by the side of the river for one night.

Along the Mosel the are too many Stellplatz to mention we only found one that was full they are mostly on the river bank and have good services some are barriered and require payment by credit/Debit card some are run by hotels or vineyards are are usually very well kept. Don't be worried about going into the cities and using the municipal sites. One of the best places we stopped at was the Aire in Nancy, right by the marina and 200 metres from the city attractions which are as architecturally as good as those in Paris. The aire has showers and toilets Elsan point in the harbour office open during the day. The ehu is included in the 11 Euros fee but if you come late you will need a long lead. as vans are parked linearly and there are 8 spaces with the ehu at the front of the first pitch.

If you don't have the time to do the whole of this trip then just do the Mosel section starting at Koblenz it is a great trip. If you want to stop over on the way to Koblenz, I would recommend visiting Valkenburg i Holland it is a beautiful town in the only hilly part of Holland.

If you want some recommendations PM me and I will get the diary out and let you know were we stopped and what how we found it.

rebbyvid
04-11-2013, 09:23
I went to the Dusseldorf show 1st sept for a couple of days then did a trip down the Mosel from Koblenz to Trier then into Luxembourg and a bit of the champagne region of France and finishing off at Ypres in Belguim. As every one has said every village has a stelpatz and keep to the river as i detoured to find a stelpatz listed in borderatlas and ended up in the hills on single tracked roads :scared: I have started a blog which i will post here when finished.

Teutone
04-11-2013, 12:42
I went to the Dusseldorf show 1st sept for a couple of days then did a trip down the Mosel from Koblenz to Trier then into Luxembourg and a bit of the champagne region of France and finishing off at Ypres in Belguim. As every one has said every village has a stelpatz and keep to the river as i detoured to find a stelpatz listed in borderatlas and ended up in the hills on single tracked roads :scared: I have started a blog which i will post here when finished.

where did you stay in Düsseldorf if you don't mind me asking?

vindiboy
04-11-2013, 13:27
You can park right alongside the Rhine at Dusseldorf,we did a while ago after leaving the show,the parking at the show was 10 Euros at that time and the Parking Aire was the same price no facilities though, but great views of the River and all the passing boats.You take a ticket from a machine on entry and pay when you leave, no time limits when we were there.

tandc
04-11-2013, 15:19
Thank you all very much for your replies .much appreciated tandc :wacko:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS