PDA

View Full Version : Wild camping and the future...

dydigital
04-11-2013, 12:30
The Scottish are far more tolerant to wild campers than here in England, as long as you don't overstay your welcome. My question is, do you think the law could be change to allow wildcampers to stay one night before being told to move on?

Tezza33
04-11-2013, 12:32
It should be allowed but I suspect the law would only change if MP's started wild camping

NeilyG
04-11-2013, 12:35
Think it would be too much for authorities to monitor whose stayed one or more nights in one spot. How would they prove you've already stayed one night without photographic or other evidence? Councils are unlikely to go through the expense of enforcing it.

mark61
04-11-2013, 12:35
What law?

maxi77
04-11-2013, 12:37
Most of it is down to the petty mindedness of English councils who simply find it easier to drive away people who might spend some much needed cash in local establishments than to actually go out and drum up business for their area. Not even the campsites who are supposed to benefit get much out of this because people just do not go there at all.

maxi77
04-11-2013, 12:38
Think it would be too much for authorities to monitor whose stayed one or more nights in one spot. How would they prove you've already stayed one night without photographic or other evidence? Councils are unlikely to go through the expense of enforcing it.

They find it easy enough for parking, and these days take great joy in it

Smaug
04-11-2013, 14:47
The Scottish are far more tolerant to wild campers than here in England, as long as you don't overstay your welcome. My question is, do you think the law could be change to allow wildcampers to stay one night before being told to move on?

What law?

Quite. There is no law that forbids wild camping per se, but some councils create Traffic Regulation Orders trying to keep tourists in campers away & others just erect signs without any authority.

Councils have no authority whatsoever on private land where the only "law" is the civil tort of trespass. In which case the landowner can ask you to leave & if you don't do so may use "reasonable force" & may also sue you for any damage you have caused. Equally, I expect you could counter sue for any damage done to your van.

frontslide
04-11-2013, 14:51
Quite. There is no law that forbids wild camping per se, but some councils create Traffic Regulation Orders trying to keep tourists in campers away & others just erect signs without any authority.

Councils have no authority whatsoever on private land where the only "law" is the civil tort of trespass. In which case the landowner can ask you to leave & if you don't do so may use "reasonable force" & may also sue you for any damage you have caused. Equally, I expect you could counter sue for any damage done to your van.
But none of this happens overnight so stay a night then move on.:cool:

Firefox
04-11-2013, 15:45

There's no law in England saying you can be moved on immediately at the moment anyway.

And in Scotland any official right to stay on open land extends only to tents. It's nothing to do with motorhomes.

So for practical purposes as regards a single motorhome, the law is the same in Scotland it is in England. Wild camping is only easier in Scotland because there are more remote places, nothing to do with the law.

maxi77
04-11-2013, 17:09
There's no law in England saying you can be moved on immediately at the moment anyway.

And in Scotland any official right to stay on open land extends only to tents. It's nothing to do with motorhomes.

So for practical purposes as regards a single motorhome, the law is the same in Scotland it is in England. Wild camping is only easier in Scotland because there are more remote places, nothing to do with the law.

Sorry but the law in Scotland in general though similar can be different. Camping can be a criminal offence though it is not normally treated as such. General tradition in Scotland brings a more liberal view to access to open land reinforced now by the law on public access to land, though there is as ever these days a code of practice.

sylv warren
04-11-2013, 17:10
We do a lot of wild camping in Devon and Cornwall and have never come across a problem, last week it was Bideford, Illfracomb and Barnstaple. Off again on Thursday, who knows where we will end up. Have been motor home owners for over 4 years now and never been on a site. Been as far down as Algarve, Ireland twice and are in this country as often as we can.

dydigital
07-11-2013, 13:07
I noticed, more on the west coast signs that welcomed wild camping, with the odd sign that asked you not to camp and directing you onwards to somewhere you could camp.

I think most of us would agree that staying many nights without moving just gives us all a bad name, if the rules where changes so short stays are aloud it would be better for all.

Asto
07-11-2013, 14:54
, if the rules where changes so short stays are aloud it would be better for all.

You have lost me there, sorry?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS