PDA

View Full Version : Continental mains hook up

Rodeo
04-11-2013, 13:37
From experience ,what sort of length lead do you think I should allow for? Im asking cos Ive got a 8m length of yellow three core and wondering if its long enough?

shortcircuit
04-11-2013, 13:45
Obviously it depends on site you are on. I would think 8m would be just a bit short and suggest you get another at 10m which should cover you up to 18m.

Sparks
04-11-2013, 13:58

maxi77
04-11-2013, 15:14
I have 2 10 meter cables, plus a polarity changer, a doubler to get 2 out of one socket, UK plug and socket converters and continental converters. Even in the UK you can end up with some long runs and need the 2 cables. I also have a waterproof conecter box for joining the cables

Tony Lee
04-11-2013, 15:55
Most commonly you will see the Europeans carrying two reels of standard 10 amp extension cord (the ones with 4 outlets on the side), each with 25 metres of cable, plus the adaptors to fit the blue outlets and to plug in to the MH.
Also need to get used to using double adaptors and daisy-chaining. Not desirable of course, but you will come across aires with one free outlet and 5 MHs that need to hook up.

vindiboy
04-11-2013, 16:39
The longer the cable you use you will get a voltage drop,25mtrs is the common length of hook up cables, you may need adaptors. To connect the hook up as a lot of. Sites have the continental. Hook up set up, IE two pin connection, you will commonly find hook ups with crossed polarity live neutral,neutral live and no earth, buy a polarity checker from a Caravan shop for about a fiver, this is a simple device to plug into one of your sockets and will show the condition of the hook up set up.by an easy to understand series of lights,

Rodeo
04-11-2013, 17:00
ok thanks all. I am going to make a polarity changer (or should I say my son is,as he's a sparks!) He's also given me a polarity checker.I have the other adapters as well.

Wooie1958
04-11-2013, 17:06
I carry 2 EHU leads, 1 x 10 metre and 1 x 25 metre.

The majority of the time it`s the 10 metre that gets used and only once have i used both connected together.

maxi77
04-11-2013, 18:04
I agree entirely that inverted live and neutral makes no difference to the operation of any equipment, but it does have an impact on safety if you have single pole switching as wither reversed live and neutral the internals of the equipment may well still be live when the power is apparently off. Once again in normal use this should not cause problems. I do prefer though to keep live live and neutral neutral

shortcircuit
04-11-2013, 18:40
In a healthy electrical circuit reverse polarity is not a problem unless you wish to dabble inside equipment when it is still switched on. If you are concerned about reverse polarity then get your electrics tested by a competent person.

Teutone
04-11-2013, 19:48
is voltage drop really a concern with 240V ?

ricc
05-11-2013, 16:03
depends a bit on how much power youre trying to draw and how long youre lead is. i dont carry anything less than 2.5mm.... but i do silly things like running 2kw motors or stick welders on 50 meter leads, the voltage drop on smaller diameter leads make the motors run hotter and the welding crap because of the voltage drop.......and the thin(1.5mm) leads tend to melt.

Siimplyloco
05-11-2013, 17:09
Voltage drop on long AC cables? I'm not sure about that. IIRC Mr Nikola Tesla invented AC to get over that problem. As a boat owner I know all about DC voltage drop though!
John

ricc
05-11-2013, 19:39
Voltage drop on long AC cables? I'm not sure about that. IIRC Mr Nikola Tesla invented AC to get over that problem. As a boat owner I know all about DC voltage drop though!
John

as an engineer thats worked with both fixed and mobile mains and low voltage ac equipment on all stages from design to trouble shooting i can tell you that conductor size is critical on cable runs to keep voltage drops to a minimum . and nowt you or nikola tesla can say will change that.. ac is better than dc but the problem is still there.

ivecotrucker
05-11-2013, 19:49

spigot
05-11-2013, 20:06
From experience ,what sort of length lead do you think I should allow for? Im asking cos Ive got a 8m length of yellow three core and wondering if its long enough?

If you're wild camping in Europe, why the hell do you need a hook-up lead?

vindiboy
05-11-2013, 20:16
In a healthy electrical circuit reverse polarity is not a problem unless you wish to dabble inside equipment when it is still switched on. If you are concerned about reverse polarity then get your electrics tested by a competent person. I despair about posts like this OF COURSE reverse polarity matters, why do you think we have electrical regulations and fuse ,and earth bonding on water pipes and radiators etc. you will be saying next that gas leaks are OK as long as you don't have any flames or sparks nearby, best not reply to posts if you are advocating DANGEROUS practices .

Siimplyloco
05-11-2013, 20:44
as an engineer thats worked with both fixed and mobile mains and low voltage ac equipment on all stages from design to trouble shooting i can tell you that conductor size is critical on cable runs to keep voltage drops to a minimum . and nowt you or nikola tesla can say will change that.. ac is better than dc but the problem is still there.

As an engineer myself who has lived and worked in far flung foreign places, hot and cold etc.... I have found that there is always a number of people who delight in 'looking for trouble' instead of enjoying that which surrounds them. Taking that on board who gives a damn if a 50m or even a 100m lead has to be used to run our high tech portable induction hobs? Not I! Let us keep things in perspective and enjoy ourselves while we can.
John

shortcircuit
05-11-2013, 20:52
I despair about posts like this OF COURSE reverse polarity matters, why do you think we have electrical regulations and fuse ,and earth bonding on water pipes and radiators etc. you will be saying next that gas leaks are OK as long as you don't have any flames or sparks nearby, best not reply to posts if you are advocating DANGEROUS practices .

The critical words are HEALTHY and DABBLE, and if you understand that then you would not have posted

Cliffy
05-11-2013, 21:02
I despair about posts like this OF COURSE reverse polarity matters, why do you think we have electrical regulations and fuse ,and earth bonding on water pipes and radiators etc. you will be saying next that gas leaks are OK as long as you don't have any flames or sparks nearby, best not reply to posts if you are advocating DANGEROUS practices .

I worked as a contractor in Germany for a while. We were running a rig 70 meters away from the main building the rig was powered by 3 phase 440 volts trailing lead across a yard were fork lift trucks operated. We came in one day and the pumps were running in reverse. One of the loacl guys pointed out we had plugged it in the other socket. He pointed out two sockets together one for running forward and the other reverse, this was common practice and knowing the Germans it would have been in acordance with regulations. Our electrician was disgusted. In the UK we seem to think the way we do things is the correct and only way to do it. We are run by jobs worth people who have read the book and we all have to do it to the book.

Why dow need massive 3 pin plugs when every other country use plugs half the size. My mother used to do the weeks ironing with her iron plugged in to the kitchen light socket. Why do we need earth bonding to all our water pipes, is it so we are sure to get electrocuted by our faulty razor when we touch the taps.

Rant over. Cover taken.

Siimplyloco
05-11-2013, 21:25
SNIP!
Why dow need massive 3 pin plugs when every other country use plugs half the size. .

Rant over. Cover taken.

We took a MH around New Zealand in 2003. Their three pin mains plugs are a tiny and elegant combination of form and function.
John

maxi77
05-11-2013, 22:10

There is a very big difference in many respects between earth bonding and so called reverse polarity. Our continental cousins live with indeterminate live and neutral every day and tend to survive partly of course because they tend to use double pole switches and breakers. In general electrics are pretty safe as long as you avoid the analogy of the gas leak, an insulation break down. WE all have enough trouble with fictitious health and safety scares.

I do carry both a socket tester and polarity changer and use them, but I do not get worked up about it.

shortcircuit
06-11-2013, 06:54
I should have explained what a healthy circuit is as it would have prevented such a silly post. A healthy circuit is a circuit/s that have been designed and installed in accordance to the appropriate regulations. In addition they will have been inspected and electrically tested to ensure their parameters meet the regulations. In other words they are safe. Unless you start to dabble with live circuits then reversed polarity present no danger.

Edit I am on a site in Spain with secured metered EHU. When connecting I was asked to check polarity and I asked why. You are a Brit and it is only the Brits that ask this

maxi77
06-11-2013, 08:58
To be honest I think there is good and bad in all regulations, and we would all benefit if some one sorted out a universal set of rules incorporating the best from every where, which might finally get rid of the French 'priorite a droite'

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS