PDA

View Full Version : Van insurance...minefield!

REC
06-11-2013, 13:19
Have just been searching for quotes for our van (just a standard van insurance as no "alterations") and am completely bemused...went online , good quote from Saga (200) compared with 313 for current insurer. However needed EU cover this year so phoned Saga. The young man was very helpful and found a quote for 165 (????!) with the extra cover for up to 90 days EU. Great, I thought and he sent it to me via email to check. Rang back to take it up and mentioned that I had forgotten a windscreen chip we had a couple of years ago so this was added and they pressed requote...price went up another 60! It was a free repair and I was just being cautious about declaring everything. :mad2: So irritated, as apparently this makes us a higher risk...nothing else had changed.
The whole thing is illogical when you consider that adding EU cover reduced the price by so much. I am afraid I saw red and said I would search further although its probably still a good deal.

Rant over...will go and find the vinho then start again!

Sharon the Cat
06-11-2013, 13:38
You're lucky to get insurance if you're going to take it across minefields.

REC
06-11-2013, 15:45
Hi David
Tried that but apparently "once it has been declared" it is on record so we cannot go back! Even though I did not claim it counts as they paid something against my policy!! Oh well, have found several other companies who beat Saga on the latest quote. Was just annoyed at the whole illogical process...how did they manage to reduce the cost when I added EU cover, thought that would put it up..we will be driving a righthand drive on the left in foreign climes...surely a higher risk? I used to work for an insurance company in the old days when it was an actual underwriter who made the decision, not a computer! It was costlier then , though! I am just an old git:rolleyes2:

ricc
06-11-2013, 15:51
my elderly mother in law used saga for her home insurance for years, last year i saw the renewal quote , went online and cut it by half.. i wouldnt touch them with the proverbial bargepole

mark61
06-11-2013, 15:54
I really don't know that driving abroad would be a higher risk. Perhaps they don't have the same whiplash claim thing going on in the EU. In fact thinking about it, they should have reduced it even more. :)

vindiboy
07-11-2013, 14:49
With some insurers you now have an excess to pay on windscreen repairs, I had a chip repaired recently and Autoglass told me I had an excess, I contacted Comfort who my insurance is with and they said no excess,had a hard time convincing the repairman as he would not speak to Comfort,I of course refused to pay an excess and all was sorted later with an apology from Autoglass but it was confirmed that some Insurers do in fact have an excess.It s worth checking the total amount your Insurance will pay for a replacement windscreen too, I had a maximum on my Hymer of 3000,not a. Lot in todays world.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS