PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

kenspain
09-11-2013, 10:52
Now I have sold the motorhome I am looking to get a Mercedes Sprinter to convert but which one to get I am not sure, A big must is when finished it must not look like a motorhome :wave:

n brown
09-11-2013, 11:03
what would you like it to look like then ken?

oldish hippy
09-11-2013, 11:05
a spanish orange or a wet day in uk

Sky
09-11-2013, 11:09
Personally, I would go for the extra long wheelbase - the extra space could be your bathroom.

Put a few Heki 2s in the roof and just some pictures of windows on the inside. :cool:

kenspain
09-11-2013, 11:11
what would you like it to look like then ken?

I would like it to just look like a work van so hard now getting to the beaches were we fish. a friend Friday night got a 60 euro fine for going down a road to the beach to fish because a sign had been put up saying no motorhomes or caravans

Deleted user 21925
09-11-2013, 11:12
Personally, I would go for the extra long wheelbase - the extra space could be your bathroom.

Put a few Heki 2s in the roof and just some pictures of windows on the inside. :cool:

And a picture of a nice view on the inside!

kenspain
09-11-2013, 11:13
a spanish orange or a wet day in uk

No more weather reports from me after all the stick I got with the last one I posted :mad2:

n brown
09-11-2013, 11:33
on a couple of vans for maroc I put simple solid covers on the windows and they instantly looked like work vans

mark61
09-11-2013, 11:39
Put some sign writing on the van, pizza delivery perhaps. :)

Deleted user 21925
09-11-2013, 11:41

Or 'Portaloo Collection'.

Nobody will bother you or break in.

kenspain
09-11-2013, 11:41

thanks if I do that they might want an ITV mot every 6months if the van is over 10 years

CooP
10-11-2013, 14:56

W A R N I N G
Live Snakes

RoadTrek Boy
10-11-2013, 17:14
No more weather reports from me after all the stick I got with the last one I posted :mad2:

Coward.....:banana: I reckon you should change your avitar as well, looking miserible, soaking wet, pouring with rain, just like the rest of us. :lol-053::lol-053::lol-053:

Colin

kenspain
10-11-2013, 17:39
Coward.....:banana: I reckon you should change your avitar as well, looking miserible, soaking wet, pouring with rain, just like the rest of us. :lol-053::lol-053::lol-053:

Colin

As you wish I will do that this week:D

ivecotrucker
10-11-2013, 17:58
You ask which Sprinter Ken. Whilst researching & choosing our current truck (Iveco 40C17) we asked around various drivers & fleet managers for their views & user comments. Post 2005-6 Sprinters were generally unpopular re: reliability/repair cost/driver satisfaction but this was for seriously large mileage users.
Sorry to offend any fans of the Pointy Star. An older D class would be my option if I wanted a Merc for conversion. I've often fancied one of those security cash delivery Mercs for a conversion, preferably still full - heavyish on the diesel though.

baloothebear
10-11-2013, 18:03

or better still, Sewage Drains unblocked and things like that. Hang a couple of disposable paper overalls in the front as well

kenspain
10-11-2013, 18:07
You ask which Sprinter Ken. Whilst researching & choosing our current truck (Iveco 40C17) we asked around various drivers & fleet managers for their views & user comments. Post 2005-6 Sprinters were generally unpopular re: reliability/repair cost/driver satisfaction but this was for seriously large mileage users.
Sorry to offend any fans of the Pointy Star. An older D class would be my option if I wanted a Merc for conversion. I've often fancied one of those security cash delivery Mercs for a conversion, preferably still full - heavyish on the diesel though.

Thanks for that I have been to look at an Iveco tonight not sure if it is what you have as they call them all silly bloody names here its a 2011 long wheel base with 65000klm on the clock nice and big inside but need's a new drivers seat not to worried about that taking a mechanic to have a look later this week.

Seannachie
10-11-2013, 18:08
Now I have sold the motorhome I am looking to get a Mercedes Sprinter to convert but which one to get I am not sure, A big must is when finished it must not look like a motorhome :wave:

I did my own conversion some 22 years ago inside a Merc 310D lwb hi-roof and built a sliding bulkhead behind the front seats hiding the rear living accommodation. No windows in sides or doors, just rooflights and lots of fluorescent strips in the back. Made an excellent camper which looked just like a works van on the outside which meant I could park or drive anywhere that motor caravans were prohibited without getting a ticket (or broken into when other nearby 'real' motor caravans were). The only problem in 22 years of ownership was the Dartford crossing, as they would try to charge me commercial van rates but I insisted I was a motor caravan and entitled to cross at private car rates (once they said they would not let me cross unless I paid the extra, so I simply opened the back and started to put the kettle on saying that I was happy to block their booth and sit there all day and night if they preferred - they gave in as legally they had to).

Though it won't affect you in Spain, over the 22 years I ran this vehicle, I always qualified for a Class IV MOT as the vehicle had a sink, cooker, bed, table, wardrobe etc inside and the MOT handbook states that a vehicle must be tested 'as presented'. What's more, I always carried a letter from the DVLA which I had obtained as it told me that as the vehicle had no visible exterior changes I did not have to have the V5 changed to reflect what I had done in the interior (Note: I never had top show this letter to the MOT examiners, just to the jobsworth's on Dartford crossing).

Were I doing this again, the only change I would make to my choice of vehicle would be to go for the extra lwb version,so my advice is choose the hi-roof extra lwb so I could build a little room to contain the porta-potti and washbasin (giving privacy), rather than in a cupboard below the folding bed I built.

shawbags
10-11-2013, 18:50

Old uns are the best, i had a 508d built like a tank and with 570,000 kilomters on the clock was still going strong .

n brown
10-11-2013, 19:13
my daughter took out that ambi I did for her,for the first time today she loved it ! not only does the box body give her loads of living room,the thing still looks enough like an ambulance that everybody gave way to her ! bonus ! twin wheels at the back mean it can take a good load,and it's an Iveco which don't rust like mercs,and the box body is aluminium and really well insulated,perfect for keeping cool in that furnace you live in !

ivecotrucker
10-11-2013, 19:16
Thanks for that I have been to look at an Iveco tonight not sure if it is what you have as they call them all silly bloody names here its a 2011 long wheel base with 65000klm on the clock nice and big inside but need's a new drivers seat not to worried about that taking a mechanic to have a look later this week.

Forget the 'marketing' name Ken. On an Iveco just look at the Letter&Number Code on front RHS wing (RH Drive) or front LHS wing (LH Drive). Iveco's Type Numbering system is universal across Europe. If this Number has 'HP' after it this refers to the newer truck type turbo (constantly running, variable pitch - no 'turbo-lag' turbo)(excellent IMO).

First Number is rough approximation of GVW; '35' being the 70 mph M/Way no HGV licence boy racer.
'40' = 4250 kg & tacho etc but Class IV Mot if non goods carrying.
'50' = about 5.5 ton
'60' = about 6.5 ton all identical bodies but heavier chassis, springs etc. 50's & 60's have wider rear tyre track & hump on side door rail.

Letter 'S' = 4 wheeler. Letter 'C' = 6 wheeler. I think this remains constant across different countries.

Last number doesn't directly mean a lot but is an indication of engine size/Hp. '14' will be about 2.4L & about 135-ish Hp. '17' = 3L & 167Hp upwards.

65,000 km is nowt for an Iveco, barely run in !.

Roof height comes as H1,H2,or H3 (letter will change from country to country), 1 being the lowest roof height, 3 the highest. I'm 5'9" (on a good day) & we have comfortable head hight under a lined roof on an H2. There is no LWB or Extra LWB, bodies of this class are all identical.

Hope this helps.

Seannachie
10-11-2013, 19:18
Old uns are the best, i had a 508d built like a tank and with 570,000 kilomters on the clock was still going strong .

I would confirm that. Old is best. My last 310D was 1993 vintage (sold earlier this year to a guy who was going to drive it across Europe to Greece and back). It was what Merc called the 'T1' class (transporters up to 3500Kg) with the 2.8L 5 cylinder OM602 naturally aspirated engine, rwd, manual clutch, 5 gears, no electronics, no exhaust gas recirculation valve, catalytic converter or any of that rubbish - simple and cheap (for a Merc) to service and repair and good for 500K miles. The hardest things to get were tyres, as it ran on 14" wheels but the model which supplanted it - the 'Sprinter' - has bigger wheels so tyre dealers stopped keeping tyres for the T1 type in stock and had to order them rather than them being an 'off the shelf' replacement. My old T1 ran like a train all day with the pedal to the floor and at maximum plated weight. Under those conditions I got 25mpg - 28 if never exceeded 60mph - and when I had my old Safari caravan on the back (which was around 1800Kg) I would still get 20mpg at 60-65mph. Only reason I sold the Merc was because my wife demanded more luxury (and got fed up being taken for a 'traveller' - mind you, we always made lots of friends when we visited the South of France in May and all the Gypsies were travelling to Ste Marie De La Mere for the annual festival!).

dydigital
10-11-2013, 21:00
Maybe I miss read the question, but if I wanted something that using look like a motorhome I'd go for a minibus with tinted windows or a van with crew windows.
Something like a ex-police sprinter

shawbags
10-11-2013, 23:46
my daughter took out that ambi I did for her,for the first time today she loved it ! not only does the box body give her loads of living room,the thing still looks enough like an ambulance that everybody gave way to her ! bonus ! twin wheels at the back mean it can take a good load,and it's an Iveco which don't rust like mercs,and the box body is aluminium and really well insulated,perfect for keeping cool in that furnace you live in !

Hello mr brown ,at some time can you give me an idea of what MPG its doing,cheers.

shawbags
10-11-2013, 23:54
I would confirm that. Old is best. My last 310D was 1993 vintage (sold earlier this year to a guy who was going to drive it across Europe to Greece and back). It was what Merc called the 'T1' class (transporters up to 3500Kg) with the 2.8L 5 cylinder OM602 naturally aspirated engine, rwd, manual clutch, 5 gears, no electronics, no exhaust gas recirculation valve, catalytic converter or any of that rubbish - simple and cheap (for a Merc) to service and repair and good for 500K miles. The hardest things to get were tyres, as it ran on 14" wheels but the model which supplanted it - the 'Sprinter' - has bigger wheels so tyre dealers stopped keeping tyres for the T1 type in stock and had to order them rather than them being an 'off the shelf' replacement. My old T1 ran like a train all day with the pedal to the floor and at maximum plated weight. Under those conditions I got 25mpg - 28 if never exceeded 60mph - and when I had my old Safari caravan on the back (which was around 1800Kg) I would still get 20mpg at 60-65mph. Only reason I sold the Merc was because my wife demanded more luxury (and got fed up being taken for a 'traveller' - mind you, we always made lots of friends when we visited the South of France in May and all the Gypsies were travelling to Ste Marie De La Mere for the annual festival!).

About 11 years ago i aso had a Merc 308d LWB high top and at a steady 55mph i was getting around 40 mpg,i wish i'd never sold it ,i had to do a fair bit of welding for m.o.t but it was worth it ,i paid 150 for the van ,it also had a bad diesel leak but it was only the dribler pipe split,when i bought it the bloke give me reciept for 1800 for a complete recon engine and gearbox it had fitted 18 months before ,if only i could turn the lock back ,old Merc engines take some beating and take a good beating as well lol .

Seannachie
11-11-2013, 07:25
About 11 years ago i aso had a Merc 308d LWB high top and at a steady 55mph i was getting around 40 mpg,i wish i'd never sold it ,i had to do a fair bit of welding for m.o.t but it was worth it ,i paid 150 for the van ,it also had a bad diesel leak but it was only the dribler pipe split,when i bought it the bloke give me reciept for 1800 for a complete recon engine and gearbox it had fitted 18 months before ,if only i could turn the lock back ,old Merc engines take some beating and take a good beating as well lol .

The 308D had the OM601 engine which is smaller than the OM602 in the 310D - 2.4 litres, 4 cylinders, 74BHP as opposed to 2.8, 5 cylinder, 92BHP - but even so your mpg was miraculous, to say the least, and beats anything Merc claimed for the 308D.

I never had much problem with rust, despite living by the sea in Cornwall for years.

The T1s and T2s were good simple wagons that ran for years, but Merc started to go downhill in build-quality terms when it stopped producing T1s in 1993 and brought in the Sprinter range as these are no longer 'built to last'. Interestingly, in May this year when in France, I saw dozens of old T1s with French plates hammering up and down the autoroutes.

mark61
11-11-2013, 11:49
Yes, the T1 was a great van, and no doubt better build quality then the Sprinter. Saying that there are a lot of Sprinters around with huge mileage.

QFour
11-11-2013, 13:15

Why not FISH & CHIPS

shawbags
11-11-2013, 16:03
The 308D had the OM601 engine which is smaller than the OM602 in the 310D - 2.4 litres, 4 cylinders, 74BHP as opposed to 2.8, 5 cylinder, 92BHP - but even so your mpg was miraculous, to say the least, and beats anything Merc claimed for the 308D.

I never had much problem with rust, despite living by the sea in Cornwall for years.

The T1s and T2s were good simple wagons that ran for years, but Merc started to go downhill in build-quality terms when it stopped producing T1s in 1993 and brought in the Sprinter range as these are no longer 'built to last'. Interestingly, in May this year when in France, I saw dozens of old T1s with French plates hammering up and down the autoroutes.

When i first had the van i kept thinking i had worked it out wrong so worked it out time and time again and it was correct,around town it was down to 28-30 but mostly used it on long runs,conwall was the norm ,as i said i could kick myself for selling it,the van is probably still around somewhere.

wolvesamongus
11-11-2013, 20:10
Buying a ex NATO Mercedes 508D OM314 engine just over one thousand miles on the clock is the best thing i ever did as far as vans go, love it real old school like me, (rough neck style) simple no power steering not much chance of over or under steer can feel contact with the road, no complex engine management systems OK slow but never in a hurry me 24 mpg no problem, new year back to Morocco, every time i drive it i can't help but smile, again love it.

mark61
11-11-2013, 20:16
Buying a ex NATO Mercedes 508D OM314 engine just over one thousand miles on the clock is the best thing i ever did as far as vans go, love it real old school like me, (rough neck style) simple no power steering not much chance of over or under steer can feel contact with the road, no complex engine management systems OK slow but never in a hurry me 24 mpg no problem, new year back to Morocco, every time i drive it i can't help but smile, again love it.

I can imagine, used to love driving my old mans 406D, now they were slow. 508D's were rockets in comparison, lol

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS