PDA

View Full Version : D'ya know where we are yet?

Smaug
10-11-2013, 18:58
I haven't used this road for at least 15 years & it was a delight to drive it again. But does anyone else recognise it?

maingate
10-11-2013, 19:13
Is it the B road that runs from Dartmoor prison to the main road?

15 years eh, it must have been some crime you did. :D

ivecotrucker
10-11-2013, 19:24
Bottom end of the A38, just over the border in Corn'all. (the bit with all the road works every year just as 'grockle/emmet' season starts).

gaz2676
10-11-2013, 19:31
i havent a clue ...i would avoid it ..it looks like total grid lock you could be there a while in that traffic ....jeeesh bloody campers eh

gaz2676
10-11-2013, 19:32

thats a craaacker

oldish hippy
10-11-2013, 20:15
it cheddar gorge

n brown
10-11-2013, 20:22
burrington combe

Smaug
10-11-2013, 20:24
it cheddar gorge

At least you recognised it is limestone which is more than most have, but that ain't no main road. Here's a nearby landmark to help;

outtolunch
10-11-2013, 20:27

I don't remember any trees at all around the prison but it was thursday the 4th of February 1999 since I was there

Deleted user 21925
10-11-2013, 20:27
Bettws y coed

Only guessing from another post you made!

Smaug
10-11-2013, 20:30
Bettws y coed

Only guessing from another post you made!

On the way back from there, but some miles away.

David & Ann
10-11-2013, 20:32
Definitely not in the UK. He or she is driving on the right so must be somewhere in Europe.!!!!!!☺☺☺

Deleted user 21925
10-11-2013, 20:39
Berwyn mountains?

outtolunch
10-11-2013, 20:43
Definitely not in the UK. He or she is driving on the right so must be somewhere in Europe.!!!!!!☺☺☺

unless Savoy Court has had a makeover with a rustic theme :)

Smaug
10-11-2013, 20:48
Berwyn mountains?

Other side of the Dee.

Smaug
10-11-2013, 20:52

I'm parked in a layby, the road is less than 8' wide, there is no left or right side.

In fact, we had to reverse a couple of hundred meters back down one of the roads we tried as it was too steep to get up (wheels were slipping on the wet leaves) & no chance of turning for some distance back.

ivecotrucker
10-11-2013, 21:28
Near Minerva or Minera (can't remember exact name) ?.

Kryten
10-11-2013, 21:56
Is it the M5/M6 junction?

Smaug
10-11-2013, 22:20

Spot on, the road from Llangollen up over the moors at Minerva - the ford is at "World's end" under the massive limestone fault that form the Panorama Drive if you go the other way. Superb road, but at 20' long & 7'6 wide I certainly wouldn't tackle it in anything bigger!

We stopped on the moors for a brew in a passing place with views to Moel Fammau, Parkgate to West Kirby on the Wirral, the Liver building & Seaforth, the wind mills in the bay & beyond, just visible were the hills of the South Lakes. We spent about an hour with the binoculars as the light faded & mists gathered. On the way up the cliff, the larch needles glowed golden in the afternoon sun, absolutely stunning.

Our only sadness was the fencing alongside the ford, as we used to drive up alongside the stream for picnics when the kids were smaller, oh & the lovely old & mostly original Elizabethan house has had a huge makeover & an extension added that utterly destroys its charm - and I thought you couldn't change the character of grade 111 listed buildings!

The video below approaches along the Panorama drive above Llangollen (north of Dinas Bran) & passes where we were at 7.10 before driving up onto the moor. sadly it stops just before the views of Wirral & Lancashire appear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPon0PGSdjU

ivecotrucker
10-11-2013, 22:30
Lovely area !. I sort of cheated in a way - used to practice my mountaineering/rock climbing skills around there about xx years ago but never been back since.

Thanks for the reminiscence Smaug - would you really not try it in anything over 20' long ?. I'd like to go back there some time in the m/home.

Smaug
10-11-2013, 22:35
Lovely area !. I sort of cheated in a way - used to practice my mountaineering/rock climbing skills around there about xx years ago but never been back since.

Thanks for the reminiscence Smaug - would you really not try it in anything over 20' long ?. I'd like to go back there some time in the m/home.

You meet lots of people who can't drive & the passing places are not that big. I stopped fro pedestrians & cyclists & got thanked, it was clear that many car drivers didn't give a toss. I guess that 7'6" & 24' might be OK, but pick a quiet day!

EDIT: I never thought twice in the Transit landliner (6'6" & 17') but this Carriocca is just that little bit bigger & once or twice I have had to accept that discretion is the better choice. There isn't much difference between making it & a major bodywork job. The decision will aways be yours tho, just my opinion, trying to help.

ivecotrucker
10-11-2013, 22:47
Just watched your video. There isn't much traffic coming the other way even though I would guess it was about mid-May judging by the tree blossom ?. Seems narrower after the shot of someone (you ?) scrambling below the scree slope ?. Not sure whether to try it or not at 23.5' long.

ps - our posts just crossed, thanks for the info.

Smaug
11-11-2013, 09:08
Just watched your video. There isn't much traffic coming the other way even though I would guess it was about mid-May judging by the tree blossom ?. Seems narrower after the shot of someone (you ?) scrambling below the scree slope ?. Not sure whether to try it or not at 23.5' long.

ps - our posts just crossed, thanks for the info.

Not my video shots, just trawled off Mr Google. That is taken from a small car I reckon, it looks quite different in a small truck. My guess is that they have edited out all the boring shuffling around Sunday Driver idiots in the passing places. Small lanes are not necessarily always quiet lanes.

We passed around a couple of dozen cars (10th November, but nice day) & stopped on the moor to let 4 pass from behind - they then had to deal with 3 coming the other way. It required the use of 2 passing places & was fun to watch. Fortunately no-one got stuck, but on another lane, we had had to reverse a couple of hundred yards down a hill to turn round as we lost traction on the wet leaves & could not get up the hill.

As the lane was getting narrower than the van AND the trees in the hedgerow were leaning inwards & had clearly not been kept back by delivery vans in the past it would have been foolish to keep going. Even after turning, when coming back down we braked for a pedestrian & I could feel & hear at least one wheel had locked & was sliding on the leaves. The pedestrian didn't seem to notice as we were not sliding towards him, but still an unpleasant few moments for us easing the brakes off to reacquire grip.

At another spot we met a woman who couldn't reverse, so we went back about 50-60 yds to a passing place & pulled right into the hedge, even then she struggled to get past & as we tried to ease forward to clear the back of the passing place for her to get through, we were loosing traction or the front nearside & I had to stop & restart a couple of times to get back onto clean tarmac.

Caz
11-11-2013, 11:51
Last time I went up that road was in my Seat Ibiza - I don't think I'd be brave enough to try it in anything bigger than a SWB Transit. :scared:

mrdon
11-11-2013, 16:59
Minera I live at Bwlchgwyn (highest village in Wales) Worldsend is about 2 miles away lovely place.

Smaug
11-11-2013, 17:01
Minera I live at Bwlchgwyn (highest village in Wales) Worldsend is about 2 miles away lovely place.

I'd have given you a wave if I'd known.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS