PDA

View Full Version : Data Recovery Utility?

Talbot
10-11-2013, 19:30
Yikes, I've just deleted 7 years of photos from my windows 7 laptop by mistake. I know there are various data recovery programs available for download but I believe if I download a program it may write it over the deleted photograph file. I did a permanent delete (thinking it was a small file that I no longer want) but accidently deleted the whole picture file.

Does anyone know of a useful utility to retrieve this file back, and if so how should I download it without overwriting the drive area where my file was? I also have an Ipad if this helps and could connect the two.

Any help greatly appreciated before my wife finds out, (not told her yet) as I've just erased 7 years of motorhome holidays!! Still can't believe what I've done and the speed it vanished. HELP!!!

Deleted user 21925
10-11-2013, 19:35
Do they not go to the recycle bin before being permanently deleted?

antiquesam
10-11-2013, 19:37
I thought they would be in the recycle bin

Deleted user 21925
10-11-2013, 19:37
Do a search on undelete in Help and support and there are guidelines to retrieve from the recycle bin.

Talbot
10-11-2013, 19:38
No, I did a shift delete which is a permanent delete.

gaz2676
10-11-2013, 19:43
if the file amount is too big ...then it doesnt go to recycle bin it just goes bish bash bosh.....done it meself n i never got my stuff back
sorry im no help at rescuing you from a death by wife
but it keeps ya thread up on the list till a lifeline is found
good luck buddy..... dont forget if nothin works HIDE

Toonman
10-11-2013, 19:44
Download the recovery programme to a removeable drive like a usb drive then run the programme from the external drive. If the programme is a zip file then expand it onto the external drive and then run it.
The recovery programme will ask which drive to check, put in the drive letter of the drive where the photographs are stored and then wait. It will take a long time if there are many images stored on it (I have known it to take four hours).

dr dave
10-11-2013, 19:45
Try downloading a program called glary undelete it will do a search of your hard drive and give you the option to restore any file in good condition. It is worth noting when you delete any file in windows it is not removed merely the first character of the file-name is removed to make it invisible to the disk operating system. The sooner this utility is run the better because even though files are not removed they are overwritten by subsequent disk operations.

Link here.
Glary Undelete - Powerful and Free Data Recovery Tool to Recover Files | Glarysoft (http://www.glarysoft.com/glary-undelete/)

If i were doing this i would take out the hard drive connect it to another pc , install the utility on the pc and run the program from there to minimise any file operations. However i have run this on the pc itself and restored most if not all files.
Dave

Kryten
10-11-2013, 19:50
Look for and install photorec. i use it on my Linux installation although there is a Windows version. photorec recovers deleted files so might just save your bacon. It is free for Linux, so maybe it is free for Windows.

Photo Recover Software - PhotoRecoveryPro (http://www.photorecoverypro.net/?gclid=CMmJn_CL27oCFRMftAodDVwAaw)

Seannachie
10-11-2013, 19:54
Yikes, I've just deleted 7 years of photos from my windows 7 laptop by mistake. I know there are various data recovery programs available for download but I believe if I download a program it may write it over the deleted photograph file. I did a permanent delete (thinking it was a small file that I no longer want) but accidently deleted the whole picture file.

Does anyone know of a useful utility to retrieve this file back, and if so how should I download it without overwriting the drive area where my file was? I also have an Ipad if this helps and could connect the two.

Any help greatly appreciated before my wife finds out, (not told her yet) as I've just erased 7 years of motorhome holidays!! Still can't believe what I've done and the speed it vanished. HELP!!!

I've always found PhotoRec excellent. It's free - you can read about it, learn how to use it, and download it here: PhotoRec - Digital Picture and File Recovery (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec). Do try to minimise doing anything which might overwrite your deleted files in the meantime. Good luck.

trevskoda
10-11-2013, 20:12
sorry you lost files ,there are linux programes that can recover it as its in canisters,stored you cant see them in window as its blind deaf system.
dont understand how you keept files for 7 years as windows requires a full reboot about every six mounths as it slows down,
plus you should back up all fills at least twice on pens or disc..
hope you get it sorted,ps try using linux mint mate desk top its easy to use and no bugs regards trev.

Smaug
10-11-2013, 20:58
Recuva is a good one for getting deleted pics back. I used it on a camera card with total success.

ricc
11-11-2013, 08:46
having had a hard drive self destruct i now have 2 usb external hard drives that i copy all my pics onto at random intervals , so if the worst happens i will only lose the most recent..

it may be worth talking to a local computer repairer, i know our local bod can sometimes recover deleted data , erased files are easy compared to a physically broken drive if you know what youre doing.

Sky
11-11-2013, 11:36
Recuva is a good one for getting deleted pics back. I used it on a camera card with total success.

I've used this many times and it works well. In fact I only used it two days ago to recover some video footage from and SD card that I'm mislaid (for three years) and only just found.

Follow this link to download it: Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download (http://www.piriform.com/recuva)

Recovering the files to another partition or external USB stick is favourite.

Good luck

shaunr68
11-11-2013, 14:16
Does anyone know of a useful utility to retrieve this file back, and if so how should I download it without overwriting the drive area where my file was? I also have an Ipad if this helps and could connect the two.Good point about potentially overwriting the sectors that contain the data that you want to recover. I would try to minimise the possibility of any further data being written to the disk, even things like temporary internet cache files and a re-sizing pagefile.sys file could have the same effect. If it was me I would as dr dave suggested, remove the drive and install it as a slave in another PC, or stick it in a CD caddy and read it that way. But experiment with recovery software on a different machine.

Best of luck!

Talbot
11-11-2013, 15:09
All photos recovered. Thank you for the replies offering various ways of retrieving deleted files. With so many options to choose, I loaded the utility on the memory stick (as someone suggested) and found the entire file within 23 seconds. Don't need to tell the wife now, although she did notice a look of panic on my face. I have now backed up the entire file onto an external drive and I'll stop using the shift + Del together and start using the recycle bin instead. Almost a very harsh lesson. I think I've been very lucky. Phew!!

GinaRon
11-11-2013, 15:18
All photos recovered. Thank you for the replies offering various ways of retrieving deleted files. With so many options to choose, I loaded the utility on the memory stick (as someone suggested) and found the entire file within 23 seconds. Don't need to tell the wife now, although she did notice a look of panic on my face. I have now backed up the entire file onto an external drive and I'll stop using the shift + Del together and start using the recycle bin instead. Almost a very harsh lesson. I think I've been very lucky. Phew!!

I followed the thread and really felt for you losing your pictures and memories - so glad it resolved itself successfully :wave:

philm
11-11-2013, 15:30
Please don, t rely on a external hard drive saved about 7-8 years of photo, s on one guess what fxxxxxxx things gone txxs up tried alsorts of things to access it nothing works just continues to click.
Glad you recovered your, s.

mark61
11-11-2013, 15:30

Good news. Good job recovering pics.

trevskoda
11-11-2013, 15:40
install dropbox or ubuntu 1 its a linux program that works on windows and you can share files & picks with freinds,dropbox is easy to use.
well you got pickys back ,just your undies to wash now.

Kryten
11-11-2013, 16:42
I have a dropbox account and it is very useful and very free.

shaunr68
11-11-2013, 16:56
I back up my and the missus' data to a NAS drive in our living room around once per month, I have concerns about cloud storage due to the limitations in terms of upload speed considering the several hundred gigabytes that we back up. Of course if the house burns down or is burgled then I risk losing all of that data anyway, so that's a plus for dropbox etc. As an added precaution I burn our most precious data - mostly holiday photos and family history research - to a couple of DVDs every so often and store the disks in my desk at work. So the only way I can lose all my data is if some mega disaster flattens both the house and the office, in which case I'll have more to worry about than some holiday snaps!

trevskoda
11-11-2013, 19:18
well i have two linux mint pc running and i also backup on dropbox plus a pen,so as the nappy said to the babys bum ,your well covered

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS