PDA

View Full Version : Shower stopped working

loulou
11-11-2013, 10:35
Can anyone help please. The shower (single lever mixer tap) stopped working for no apparent reason. We have a submersible pump, similar taps on the sink and wash basin. When the shower tap is turned on in any position, water comes out initially then slows to a dribble until it stops.

But leaving the tap open, if we turn on either the sink or the wash basin tap, the water starts to flow again.
We can hear the water pump start up with the sink or the wash basin tap open but cant hear the pump with just the shower tap open.

Cloud it be something to do with the tap, is there a separate fuse for each tap?

We have refilled the tank and bled the system as usual to try to remedy the problem, but made no difference.

Thanks in advance, Lou

:pc:

n brown
11-11-2013, 10:44
sounds like a possible microswitch problem,they do go wrong.bit of a faff arounf to replace,might be easier to put an inline pressure switch instead.do both the hot and cold taps in the shower do this ?

loulou
11-11-2013, 11:18
Yes, its a single lever tap, not sure of the make, The van is a Burstner Delphin Performance 821t

loulou
11-11-2013, 11:39
Photo of wash basin tap, which is same as shower tap. Dont know the make.

Smaug
11-11-2013, 11:40
Almost certainly the micro switch on that tap if the others are working OK. Check the connections first if you can access them, it "could" be a fuse, a dirty connection or even a mouse nibbled wire & you need to eliminate all of those before taking everything to pieces. If there is 12v at the wires & the pump runs when you touch them together then you need to replace the micro switch. A replacement used tap from a breakers may be a simple "quick fix" & then you have time to dismantle the existing tap & replace the switch at your leisure to have a spare for next time.

rommel
11-11-2013, 11:49
What type of motorhome is it , there is a micro switch inside the tap on some vans that starts the pump, when you open the kitchen tap the pump is energised and water will come out of the shower if the valve is open.

rommel
11-11-2013, 11:51
There is a reply to a simiar question on this site somewhere that gives you a part number for a micro switch of the same size from ebay.

vindiboy
11-11-2013, 11:52
yes that will be the micro switch duff, the reason it runs initially is because the water system is pressurised ,soon as the pressure drops it stops flowing.

Deleted user 21925
11-11-2013, 12:00

vindiboy
11-11-2013, 12:10
A temporary solution if you need a shower is to slightly open the tap in the sink, this will energise the pump [ turn it on ] and you can then open the shower tap for a shower ,water will flow from it,only problem with this is that any water coming from the sink tap will be wasted , if you do this make sure the sink is free of obstructions or you could get a flood.

loulou
11-11-2013, 12:38
A temporary solution if you need a shower is to slightly open the tap in the sink, this will energise the pump [ turn it on ] and you can then open the shower tap for a shower ,water will flow from it,only problem with this is that any water coming from the sink tap will be wasted , if you do this make sure the sink is free of obstructions or you could get a flood.

Thanks Vindiboy, I discovered this already, fine for temporary term fix, but looking for long term solution.

n brown
11-11-2013, 13:18
as I said before,an inline pressure switch , WHALE GROOVED IN LINE PRESSURE SWITCH WU7207 caravan camper water pump 350330 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHALE-GROOVED-IN-LINE-PRESSURE-SWITCH-WU7207-caravan-camper-water-pump-350330-/181220766708?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item2a319973f4) this bypasses all your fiddly little microswitches and all the wiring to them. it's simple to fit and switches the pump on by sensing the drop in pressure when any tap in the system is opened

Deleted user 21925
11-11-2013, 13:22

n brown
11-11-2013, 13:28
might have been ,but when I said''as I said before'', I meant in this thread ! I can't remember any further back than that !

n brown
11-11-2013, 14:19
you also need an isolating switch for the pump as it activates when the tank runs dry

fairytooth
11-11-2013, 14:27
We get the exact same problem in our Burstner. The microswitch can be replaced (10 ish) if needs be. BEFORE removing the shower control (tap), switch the electric power off, turn the tap all the way on (hold shower head somewhere it can drain) Then you should be able to just pull the handle gently off exposing the switch inside.

In normal operation turning the shower 'tap' on releases pressure on the switch which then makes contact and works the electric pump. It is really easy for the switch to not be activated in this way, hence your problem I think. Short of replacing the switch you can look to see if the little 'spring' has popped off and can carefully be replaced.

When the shower micro switch is working, any other tap when turned on will turn on the pump and make the shower work so when it happens to us on a trip, just crack the basin tap on a fraction and that is enough to shower.

Tip. Put your plug in the shower drain so that the spring/clip doesn't go down there.

loulou
11-11-2013, 15:30
Hi Guys

Thanks for all your replies, we knew that someone(s) would have had this problem before and the solutions. We have been to the van, took the shower handle off (drain plug in place of course), managed to remove the micro switch and tested it, it was mechanically moving but not making electrical contact, so its for the bin and will get replacement. Touching the 2 feed wires to the micro switch together got the pump working instantly.

Regarding the pump, we do have the facility to switch it off from our main control panel, so the inline pressure switch could also work. We had a Jabsco fitted on our boat, sadly now sold.

Thanks again. Lou & Terri

:):)

Brian the snail
13-11-2013, 22:06
Hi,

The tap looks like a Reich model, our Nexxo has Reich taps through out and yours looks identical.

Clive

ps great "how to" Fairytooth will copy and paste into my tips folder.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS