PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storge hints & tips

Smaug
13-11-2013, 10:44
Clicky here ukcampsite.co.uk/article (http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=21) Some good ideas in amongst the obvious stuff & the stuff that is just far too much hassle for most sane people.

Firefox
13-11-2013, 11:39
They always say that tasks expand to fill the time available, and that's a case in point, as you allude to ;)

Sharon the Cat
13-11-2013, 12:13
Some good ideas in amongst the obvious stuff.

& the stuff that is just far too much hassle for most sane people.

But, which is which?

Firefox
13-11-2013, 12:26
I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world if you skipped the olive oil! ...better still use the van. Vans like being used, not being stored.

Alf
13-11-2013, 15:38
Anyone laying their van up for the winter, place a wine bottle cork under each wiper arm to lift the rubber off the windscreen, taking tension off the wiper rubbers prolongs their life and keeps them in better condition also you dong get a build up of crap on the wipers

Alf

simbadog
13-11-2013, 15:44
Anyone laying their van up for the winter, place a wine bottle cork under each wiper arm to lift the rubber off the windscreen, taking tension off the wiper rubbers prolongs their life and keeps them in better condition also you dong get a build up of crap on the wipers

Alf

Plus, you get to drink 2 extra bottles of wine :tongue:

Kontiki
13-11-2013, 15:57
I've got 3 wipers (not that I'm bragging:tongue:) we usually buy the boxes of wine anyway. Plastic clothes pegs can do the same job. My winter tip would be head south to Spain.

snowbirds
13-11-2013, 16:41
Hi Smag,

I have bought my top up Dehumidifier's over here and a couple more, it helps with the van over winter.We used to use Salt in the old Classic van that went solid over the winter.

Snowbirds.

zipnolan
13-11-2013, 16:59
don't forget to lay mouse traps, the little bleeders can cause untold damage !

spigot
13-11-2013, 17:24
I've winterised my van.

I've replaced the 4.5 tog duvet with a 10.5 !!

mandrake
13-11-2013, 17:48
when we had our van ,we used it just as much winter time as summer .after all you can keep nice and warm and enjoy a winter weekend .in fact we lived through two bad winters in ours .i alway think its such a waste of money to lay a van up winter time .how many lovely vans do you see never move on driveways in winter, cannot do them any good and a waste of cash use it and enjoy it

Firefox
13-11-2013, 18:23
Yeah I think you can use it in winter. Even if you don't want to go away sleeping, you could drain the tanks but still use it for daytrips to the park at weekends etc. A nice bracing walk, and then back to van for coffee and sandwiches or a nap. It's easy to bring some bottled water along, if the tank has been drained.

That way the van gets aired, the engine gets run, and things get used. All this talk of laying up for 6 months is quite depressing, not to mention a waste of an asset.

Fazerloz
13-11-2013, 18:35
Our van is getting winterised tomorrow its getting a Webasto heater fitted I had enough of cold feet last weekend.:yeahthat:

Smaug
13-11-2013, 19:42
Mine is sort of laid up in the worst weather. I cover the cab windows with bubble wrap that keeps snow & ice off & stops condensation inside, I drain the tanks & open the taps & leave it on a hook-up. I close all blinds & curtains too. For really cold spells I use an oil filled 'leccy heater on a frost setting & crack a roof vent slightly open but, as stated by others, a trip out every few weeks is the best way of keeping it all up to scratch.

Alf
13-11-2013, 21:26
Anyone using hook up would be better with an electronic mouse repelant, better to keep them out than let them in and try to catch them

Alf

don't forget to lay mouse traps, the little bleeders can cause untold damage !

maxi77
13-11-2013, 21:34
This year we are winterising George by moving him to the Algarve for the winter. In the past we have tended to keep our ans and boats 'in commission' over winter, and use fan heaters with frost thermostats to ward of Jack' fingers.

motorhomevalet
13-11-2013, 22:41
If you want be mouse free make sure there is no food left in the van including crumbs in cupboards etc.

philstoke
14-11-2013, 03:56
We were away for a few weeks in our motorhome in October, when we got back to the compound I started my car up and there was a loud clicking from the engine, on opening the bonnet I found the top of the engine covered in squashed snails.
Starting the engine had obviously done them in and one or two had got onto the fan belt and that was what the clicking was.
What do you think is the best way to stop this happening again to my car or motorhome while in storage, would sprinkling slug pellets around be any good or should I have something under the wheels to stop them climbing up in the first place.

zipnolan
16-11-2013, 12:58
heard this tip on the radio, cut this soap up and place about the van to ward off rats n mice. Some farmer was praising it on radio 2.

Amazon.co.uk: irish deodorant soap (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=irish%20deodorant%20soap)

zipnolan
16-11-2013, 12:59
We were away for a few weeks in our motorhome in October, when we got back to the compound I started my car up and there was a loud clicking from the engine, on opening the bonnet I found the top of the engine covered in squashed snails.
Starting the engine had obviously done them in and one or two had got onto the fan belt and that was what the clicking was.
What do you think is the best way to stop this happening again to my car or motorhome while in storage, would sprinkling slug pellets around be any good or should I have something under the wheels to stop them climbing up in the first place.

put a ring of salt around the tyres, cheap and affective.

Smaug
16-11-2013, 13:33
put a ring of salt around the tyres, cheap and affective.

Sails, life jackets & covers etc put away salty will attract mice, they love salt & eat the material to get it.

WRT the electronic rodent repellers, I have not found them to be much use, keeping all doors & windows shut & having grills over all pipework holes etc is the best way to keep 'em out.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS