PDA

View Full Version : WARNING! - Don't trust this idea - Heat a room for 8 pence a day.

Viktor
13-11-2013, 17:38
I spotted this idea earlier and decided to check it out, (I think it was posted on here).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brHqBcZqNzE

It seemed like a good idea that could perhaps be used to heat your motorhome cheaply
or even perhaps as a storage heater.
'FRAID NOT

In another video the guy closes the second drainage hole as well and measured the
temperature on the pot at 165 degrees.
Well it appears the distance between the tea lights and the pots may be critical as
may be the number of tea lights used, however IF IT GOES WRONG the wax ignites ( ALL
OF IT AT ONCE) and you could have a major home, or motorhome fire.
I glad I tested it.....DON'T USE IT it's likely to be just too chancy and a FIRE
waiting to happen.

Firefox
13-11-2013, 18:28
Yes, I said so in the other thread. A big fire risk heating up those pots. I certainly wouldn't leave it unattended.

n brown
13-11-2013, 18:36
makes sense-the heat from more candles melts all the wax-as you say an accident waiting for a victim

Geraldine
13-11-2013, 19:25
That's not the same size pots or candles in the pictures in the original thread posted.
Flowerpot men comes to mind!
Cheers
David

Teutone
14-11-2013, 12:37
having an OPEN fire in a motorhome also sound like a daft idea to me.

maxi77
14-11-2013, 14:45
having an OPEN fire in a motorhome also sound like a daft idea to me.

Most people cook over an open flame, albeit a more controllable one than an overheated tea light. The idea of putting a flowerpot over a heat source to provide heating is not new and was suggested many years ago for boats using the gas cooker.

CooP
14-11-2013, 15:40
I absolutely fail to see how the flower pots will make any difference. Four candles will give the heat of four candles. That's that.

chrisinbrighton
14-11-2013, 17:23
I run a victory paraffin boat heater in my van paraffin is as expensive 6.95 a gallon B&Q cheapest I've found A gallon lasts me 2 days on day & night

chrisinbrighton
14-11-2013, 18:13
Have not seen it in petrol stations in the UK since the 70's one can use diesel in a paraffin heater slightly cheaper but i'm told I fouls up the jets

Kontiki
15-11-2013, 18:00
I once boiled a kettle (well it was steaming & hot enough for a coffee) on 3 tea lights. Often have a fondue in the van & use 2 or 3 tea lights to keep it hot enough. Often we will have some of the scented tea lights on at night, these are in glass containers, they give some light & make the van at least seem warmer. Might work just as well having a video of a nice roaring log fire on the TV.

john t
15-11-2013, 18:04
it only cost me 20p to heat the house for the last few days, that was the cost of the diesel to go get mi free wood that i'm currently burning in mi multifuel burner..... Cheap as errrm, 20p.!

jt

Fazerloz
15-11-2013, 18:34
All the plant pot does is work as a mini storage radiator. Just dont know why anybody would bother with this its more bother than its worth. By what I can find a candle is worth anything between 25w to 40w depending on candle and wick .

In winter I stand a plantpot on top of a 40 or 60w lamp and stand the chickens water on top to stop it freezing, happy chickens .

Teutone
15-11-2013, 18:36
Most people cook over an open flame, albeit a more controllable one than an overheated tea light. The idea of putting a flowerpot over a heat source to provide heating is not new and was suggested many years ago for boats using the gas cooker.

A cooker is a engineered and tested and approved means of having something with an open flame in a confined environment. It has a valve and a flame out device build in.

Covering four candles with a flowerpot is something completely different IMHO and very hard to control if it goes wrong. I can't see the knob to turn it off.

I also wouldn't cover the cooker with a flower pot to HEAT the MH up. Cooking something for a short'ish period of time is just enough for my taste, I wouldn't want to have a uncontrolled flame burning while I am asleep. Buy a proper heater!

Each to their own

spigot
21-11-2013, 16:51
I've been experimenting with this flowerpot heater & come to the conclusion that it's OK & safe.

If you do exactly as the guy in the video, you can't go wrong, he should know, he uses it in a boat. A motorhome or a room in a house is much more stable than a boat.

Viktor's fire photos show the tea lights on a raised open grid, this would create a draft around the candles & probably caused the flare-up, they should be on a solid flat surface.

In my testing I've tried kicking the heater & tipping it up, the candles don't ignite, they just fizzle out.

Mind you, to be absolutely safe, I stand this heater on a large shallow baking tray which is placed on a fireproof surface.

I now use this in our morning-room which is fairly small & it certainly helps to heat the area.

Tues night, the temperature here fell to -2 degrees so I placed this contraption in the van outside at 11pm so it stayed lit untill probably 4.00 to 4.30am, went into the van at 8.00am Weds morning & the temp was 9 degrees.

One drawback with all this internet interest, Ikea have had a big run on these tea lights & have whacked the price up by a whopping 75% but it still works out cheap.

maxi77
21-11-2013, 19:58
A cooker is a engineered and tested and approved means of having something with an open flame in a confined environment. It has a valve and a flame out device build in.

Covering four candles with a flowerpot is something completely different IMHO and very hard to control if it goes wrong. I can't see the knob to turn it off.

I also wouldn't cover the cooker with a flower pot to HEAT the MH up. Cooking something for a short'ish period of time is just enough for my taste, I wouldn't want to have a uncontrolled flame burning while I am asleep. Buy a proper heater!

Each to their own

Which is very much what I and others have said so what really was your point

Flyboy
21-11-2013, 21:42
This Is my open fire been using for near 12 months now Running on Bio- Ethanol

Tow Itch
22-11-2013, 15:18

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS