PDA

View Full Version : Slow Cooker

alhumphries
13-11-2013, 22:48
Hi Guys, I'm presuming that the 3 pin power sockets will work in a motorhome while driving?, so we can have a slow cooker on while we are driving?

Tezza33
13-11-2013, 22:58
3 pin 240v sockets only work on EHU but there are ways, I use an inverter (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=12v+inverter&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=25761674096&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=23312625195588201&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_lvdyt4lvq_b) to power a slow cooker while traveling, a 300w inverter will quite happily power a slow cooker

sasquatch
13-11-2013, 22:59
No sorry,but the sockets will only work when on 'hook up' or if you have an invertor fitted in the system.

zipnolan
14-11-2013, 02:25
No power needed with this................

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Cooker-Thermal-Insulated-Cooking/dp/B006H1TKYI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384399462&sr=8-1&keywords=thermal+slow+cooker

Siimplyloco
14-11-2013, 07:52

Magic Cooker Thermal Insulated Cooking Pot 5.5L: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Cooker-Thermal-Insulated-Cooking/dp/B006H1TKYI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384399462&sr=8-1&keywords=thermal+slow+cooker)

That's a very expensive 'haybox' - as used by us old soldiers when in the field!
John

Sharon the Cat
14-11-2013, 09:03

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Cooker-Thermal-Insulated-Cooking/dp/B006H1TKYI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384399462&sr=8-1&keywords=thermal+slow+cooker

I want one............
Mind you, when travelling my biggest concern would be where to put it so that it wasn't all over the floor on the first bend.

trevskoda
14-11-2013, 09:32
put it in a cuppboard and pack it with coushins.

Caz
14-11-2013, 11:09
Stand it in the sink - and go more carefully round corners! Lovely grub ready when you stop. :tongue:

MATS
14-11-2013, 12:38
Great idea this cooker, boil in house before we go in van then nice dinner ready on arrival a few hours later.

carol
14-11-2013, 13:24
Anybody actually got one?

vindiboy
14-11-2013, 13:30
SLOW ? NAH don't do slow, get a pressure Cooker , meal on the table in half an hour, lovely stews and casseroles and curries .

ronste
14-11-2013, 14:07
Was married to a slow cooker !!!

Caz
14-11-2013, 18:19
A friend has the Aussie version - Dream Pot. They often have a 5/6 hour drive to campsite as they live the wrong side of London so use it quite a bit. I've eaten some lovely chicken casseroles which were cooked in it.

You do have to make sure you heat the food in the inner pot first though - no use heating it up in another pot and then tipping into the cold thermal pot.

MaryMC
14-11-2013, 19:50
SLOW ? NAH don't do slow, get a pressure Cooker , meal on the table in half an hour, lovely stews and casseroles and curries .

I like to use a pressure cooker especially in winter in the van for making soup stews etc, it can be taken outside to vent the steam, cuts down on condensation.

MaryMC
14-11-2013, 20:00
Been looking on Amazon it says boxed weight 10kgs packed weight. That is heavy, not sure how big it is.

vindiboy
14-11-2013, 20:14
Been looking on Amazon it says boxed weight 10kgs packed weight. That is heavy, not sure how big it is. Or even what it is ????????????????????????

iveco4x4
15-11-2013, 21:22
You don't need an expensive slow cooker,just some wire, a metal grid and roasting bags or foil

Use the heat from your engines

Some folks I know who have so far done around the world 3 ways use this all the time.

If you need help

Road Roast - The cook book for the road trip (http://www.roadroast.com/how.php)

My friends landrover gearbox throws out so much heat, he uses it to heat a tin of curry while driving

Rich

Minisorella
15-11-2013, 21:31

No but I've got one of these... :)

Wonderbag - What's a Wonderbag (http://nb-wonderbag.com/Pages/WhatsAWonderbagSubpage)

Wonderbag: It looks like a beanbag. So how does it cook soups, stews and porridge to perfection? | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2121794/Wonderbag-It-looks-like-beanbag-So-does-cook-soups-stews-porridge-perfection.html)

Tezza33
15-11-2013, 21:37
You don't need an expensive slow cooker,just some wire, a metal grid and roasting bags or foil

Use the heat from your engines

Some folks I know who have so far done around the world 3 ways use this all the time.

If you need help

Road Roast - The cook book for the road trip (http://www.roadroast.com/how.php)

My friends landrover gearbox throws out so much heat, he uses it to heat a tin of curry while driving

RichBack in the seventies when a customer of mine didn't pay his bill but still managed to go out drinking I put a fish in his engine compartment hidden away, he was a School Teacher who was very intelligent but didn't know how to open his bonnet and he had burnt his bridges with other Garages in the area so nobody else would deal with him, over the next 6 months I kept removing the fish and putting a new one in, every few weeks he was back saying the smell had returned, it probably would have gone on longer but he eventually begged me to take the car in part exchange for another one, not really on topic but you saying use the heat from your engine brought back happy memories:drive:

zipnolan
16-11-2013, 02:20

No but on my "want list" there's even a menu for these thermal cookers and the curries look MMMmmmarvolous, they're great for stews, curries, broths and soups, you can use the boiled water from the veg/potato's from one meal to make the slow cooked next meal. They're a bit pricey but I suppose in winter you could get value for money.

gholt417
16-11-2013, 17:32
I've just ordered a magic cooker from Amazon. Seems so handy for home and when on the road.

I'll post how good it is when I get it.

Graham

Sharon the Cat
16-11-2013, 17:45
I've just ordered a magic cooker from Amazon. Seems so handy for home and when on the road.

I'll post how good it is when I get it.

Graham
Looking forward to that.

I am sorely tempted but I'm supposed to be de-cluttering before possibly putting everything into storage and full-timing, hopefully next year.

Having said that I have managed to wean myself down from 3 slow cookers to 2.:tongue:

Siimplyloco
16-11-2013, 17:54
We've been researching halogen ovens today. The Cookshop one looks the most likely candidate. SWMBO says I can just fit it in the tambour cabinet, where the satellite controller used to sit. I wanted to turn it into a nice cocktail cabinet, but you know how it is.....
John

deanjo
17-11-2013, 21:09
we've just bought a halogen oven,excellent,and only uses one unit of electric an hour,or so I was told.

Asto
17-11-2013, 21:18
We've been researching halogen ovens today. The Cookshop one looks the most likely candidate. SWMBO says I can just fit it in the tambour cabinet, where the satellite controller used to sit. I wanted to turn it into a nice cocktail cabinet, but you know how it is.....
John

If it's that small it ain't any use as a cocktail cabinet!!! ;)

Siimplyloco
17-11-2013, 21:23
If it's that small it ain't any use as a cocktail cabinet!!! ;)

Cor blimey! Pedantry rules OK!
Thanks for spotting my grammatical error: of course I was referring to the tambour cabinet. A lot of people these days wouldn't have noticed it.....
John

gholt417
25-11-2013, 08:50
Ordered the magic cooker from Amazon and it was delivered the back end of last week.
It's a full size unit similar to a wired slow cooker.
Wife tried it last night, making a healthy vegetable curry. Everything went into the inner pot for 15mins making sure it was piping hot then just before going to bed, put the inner pot into the main pot and secured the lid.
This morning I could have sworn it would be cold but there it was fully cooked vegetable curry. It was not piping hot but was still warm after about 10 hours. Funny that there was no smell of curry in the house until the lid was opened as it works the same as a vacuum flask.

Can't wait to try it when travelling in the 'mo'.

Graham

Philcott
25-11-2013, 11:08
Snip .................

Having said that I have managed to wean myself down from 3 slow cookers to 2.:tongue:

Noooooo! You can't/mustn'd :D I've got three as well, one of which travels in the motorhome if I know I am going to be on hook up, but must admit I am tempted by the magic cooker for when I'm not on hook up.

Anyone used a slow cooker off an inverter or is that totally out of the question! :wave:

Sharon the Cat
25-11-2013, 11:49
Noooooo! You can't/mustn'd :D I've got three as well, one of which travels in the motorhome if I know I am going to be on hook up, but must admit I am tempted by the magic cooker for when I'm not on hook up.

Anyone used a slow cooker off an inverter or is that totally out of the question! :wave:

I remember your smart little purple one.

I think I'm just going to order a magic cooker as a birthday present for myself. Because of our situation most time in our MH for a while will be the odd weekend, charging off on a Friday after work and coming home Sunday. I like the thought that I can prep dinner and put it in Percy and it will be cooked when we arrive at our first stop. :tongue::tongue::tongue:

Caz
25-11-2013, 12:38

Yes, cooked a curry in my 115W slow cooker at the York show a few years ago on the Sunday using the inverter. Just lasted long enough (about 4 hours) before cutting out. But it was only an 85aph battery and had been used Fri & Sat for lights, water pump etc. It charged up again driving home Sunday evening.

With a bigger battery and some solar panels you can use it whilst parked/pitched without flattening the battery. I have also heard of people using a slow cooker via an inverter whilst travelling. They stand it in the sink to avoid it being knocked over.

Tezza33
25-11-2013, 12:54
We use one on a 300 watt invertor while travelling, as Kainene said put it somewhere safe such as a sink, we put ours in a cupboard now but we used to just put it in a box in the footwell, had to stop doing that when we went into a Hypermarket and when we returned to the van the dogs had already eaten it

Philcott
25-11-2013, 13:42
Thanks all for your replies re the slow cooker/inverter :dog:

Sharon the Cat
25-11-2013, 13:54
Just ordered a Magic Cooker off ebay 42.90 delivered.

Beemer
25-11-2013, 14:14
Just ordered a Magic Cooker off ebay 42.90 delivered.

This one?
ROAD PRO 12V SLOW COOKER CAMPING OR MOTORHOME C1417A | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROAD-PRO-12V-SLOW-COOKER-CAMPING-OR-MOTORHOME-C1417A-/181200082737?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a305dd731)
Works off 12v too..

Sharon the Cat
25-11-2013, 14:17
No, I can't post a link 'cos I bought the last one. But here's one of the same on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Cooker-Thermal-Insulated-Cooking/dp/B006H1TKYI?tag=s6010000201-21

I like the elastic across the lid on your link.

carol
25-11-2013, 14:21
Be interested as to how good it is. Report back please! :)

kernowprickles
26-11-2013, 22:16
No but I've got one of these... :)

Wonderbag - What's a Wonderbag (http://nb-wonderbag.com/Pages/WhatsAWonderbagSubpage)

Wonderbag: It looks like a beanbag. So how does it cook soups, stews and porridge to perfection? | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2121794/Wonderbag-It-looks-like-beanbag-So-does-cook-soups-stews-porridge-perfection.html)

I've got one too, and they are brilliant! No problems with it cooking in transit, as once I've prepared the contents of my casserole, it goes into the Wonderbag, and happily sits there on the floor, cooking. I do use a bungee strap on the lid of my dish to make quite sure it doesn't spill. Like the Magic Cooker, it won't over-cook, and if not left too long, you have a nice hot meal ready for you when you stop. :p

The entry level one is 30, and works fine. You can get posher looking ones for twice the price, but they all do the same job. The only possible snag is that f you have a cat or dog, it may think you have bought a new bed for it!! :dog:

KP

chrisinbrighton
27-11-2013, 06:51
My wife was as slow cooker dinner was always late !

Sharon the Cat
27-11-2013, 06:59
The eBay one was sold as in stock but surprise surprise it's now going to take 2 weeks. Weekend away already planned, so Amazon here I come.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS