PDA

View Full Version : Calais

Rapidoray
14-11-2013, 13:34
Start the long drive to Spain mid Dec via the euro tunnel need somewhere to stay the first night near to Calais euro tunnel terminal can anyone help ?

OwnedbyCollies
14-11-2013, 13:47
We always stay at the aire at Wissant. Its 10 minutes down the motorway straight off the Tunnel. Its got limited facilities but its free and is only a short walk into the lovely little seaside town with a great beach for the dogs, several restaurants and a good boulangerie for the essential first day bread and croissants! :cool1:

vindiboy
14-11-2013, 13:53
You can stay a the Cite De Europe, Aire there ,or on the Beach / sand dunes at Sangatte, Forges les Eaux has a nice Aire as does Calais, Calais is free at the moment, out of season, Wissant is OK as stated , we were there a couple of weeks ago, only toilet dump, no water, although a post I read recently said there was water there but we did not find it.

ronste
14-11-2013, 14:04
Calais is ok for a sleep if your arriving through the night.

Which way are you going , are you using the motorways or the A roads

Hope you'll keep us posted on your trip down to spain, hoping to head that way in January .

vindiboy
14-11-2013, 14:10
Wissant Aire .http://goo.gl/maps/fqNK3

carol
14-11-2013, 14:13
Stayed there in September before getting the ferry. Really quiet apart from the local bus which parks up there but a small price to pay!

Rapidoray
14-11-2013, 14:15
Thank all . We hope to avoid the dreaded tolls. Not driven to Spain before so all advice welcome . :help:

vindiboy
14-11-2013, 14:31
If you used Forges Les Eaux Aire, free this time of year and took this route to Pont de la Arche for another free Aire and lovely town you would miss ROUEN , a very good idea with all the diversions in Rouen at the moment http://goo.gl/maps/WHr7x

vindiboy
14-11-2013, 14:36
http://goo.gl/maps/HGCRU Pont de la Arche Aire.

Rapidoray
14-11-2013, 14:39
Thanks sounds like a good plan will look on the map

Rodeo
14-11-2013, 16:27
Look at Escalles (North of Wissant) D243 from main road. Theres a campsite there ,as well as wild camping on the rough road leading to the cliff tops.

POI Admin
14-11-2013, 16:48
Look at Escalles (North of Wissant) D243 from main road. Theres a campsite there ,as well as wild camping on the rough road leading to the cliff tops.

No more wild camping here - Streetview shows that it's 'no entry' for motorhomes:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Escalles,+France&aq=0&oq=escalles&sll=60.683256,-0.965735&sspn=0.00161,0.003777&vpsrc=6&t=h&g=60.683463,-0.965752&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Escalles,+Pas-de-Calais,+Nord-Pas-de-Calais,+France&ll=50.918714,1.712644&spn=0.008292,0.015106&z=16&layer=c&cbll=50.918648,1.708714&panoid=zC_qpOVONLwoWyEtvGxjZw&cbp=12,330.2,,2,0.93

Rodeo
14-11-2013, 17:15
I cant see the street view (cant load flash player at the moment) . The sign didnt seem to stop a few 'vans parking up there each night. I was describing it because Id seen the Gendarmes patrolling (driving ) up and down that road a few times a day,nothing was said,despite there being obvious overnighters there.
The D243 to Escalles from the main road had a campervan each night behind a hedge on the l/h side going toward Escalles.I scoped out a couple of other spots along that road as well.
Quite handy ,as if you dont want the toll road,you can carry on your journey south onto the D940 ,a nice drive.

Seannachie
14-11-2013, 17:32
We always stay at the aire at Wissant. Its 10 minutes down the motorway straight off the Tunnel. Its got limited facilities but its free and is only a short walk into the lovely little seaside town with a great beach for the dogs, several restaurants and a good boulangerie for the essential first day bread and croissants! :cool1:

I would have thought that it was easier to get directly onto the free section of the A16 from the Tunnel rather than trying to find the D940 for the Wissant Aire. Staying on the A16 also means that it is easier to make some distance South next day - at least as far as J29 (last before the peage). It's only 10 mins down the road to the Aire De Deux Caps service area on the A16 from the ferry terminal (at midnight when I normally arrive) and, despite the dire warnings from some quarters, I've never encountered any problems overnighting at that Aire for over 20 years now.

As for strolling around to buy bread and croissants, in winter I've always preferred to get on the road and drive as far South as I can as fast as I can.

;-)

Rodeo
14-11-2013, 17:43
I agree its best to 'get down the road' so to speak,but also got to agree it is nice in Wissant town square!

vindiboy
14-11-2013, 18:14
I would have thought that it was easier to get directly onto the free section of the A16 from the Tunnel rather than trying to find the D940 for the Wissant Aire. Staying on the A16 also means that it is easier to make some distance South next day -

Trying to find the D940? no problem ,my sat nav knows all the roads .HE HE .

fairytooth
14-11-2013, 19:20
On the list of French wild camping pois is a great little spot only 5mins from Eurotunnel between Coquelles and Sangatte just by the beach. We use it often

Seannachie
14-11-2013, 20:18
Trying to find the D940? no problem ,my sat nav knows all the roads .HE HE .

Then you obviously don't have a Garmin Nuvi 2598 with the latest Europe map updates! ;-)

POI Admin
14-11-2013, 20:52
On the list of French wild camping pois is a great little spot only 5mins from Eurotunnel between Coquelles and Sangatte just by the beach. We use it often

To be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/canox3f

MykCamper
14-11-2013, 23:13
:ditto: wot Vindiboy says, avoid Rouen like the plague, they are rebuilding a major artery bridge after a fuel tanker burnt out on it, Will be closed for months! There is a great free Aire at the Shell service area on the A16 toll at Baive Somme just before Abbeyville. Special area just for caravans & motorhomes, with free dump & fill facilities available. Quiet, safe with beautiful scenery. OK it cost 8 toll but you will proberbly save that in fuel and you are well into the route south, the toll free A28 is at the next junction. Myk:camper:

shortcircuit
15-11-2013, 07:10
:ditto: wot Vindiboy says, avoid Rouen like the plague, they are rebuilding a major artery bridge after a fuel tanker burnt out on it, Will be closed for months! There is a great free Aire at the Shell service area on the A16 toll at Baive Somme just before Abbeyville. Special area just for caravans & motorhomes, with free dump & fill facilities available. Quiet, safe with beautiful scenery. OK it cost 8 toll but you will proberbly save that in fuel and you are well into the route south, the toll free A28 is at the next junction. Myk:camper:

Came through Rouen in September and sailed through with absolutely no problems. To save a lot of problems we took pay road from Boulogne to Abbeville at about 13.20 and worth every cent as first stop was Aires at Cleres and save a considerable amount of time. Next day joined the A151 change to the A150 and sailed passed Rouen with a short toll of 3.20.
Unless you are unlucky Rouen is not a problem as many have had the same experience as myself and not necessarily on the route I took. Whatever, enjoy.

rebbyvid
15-11-2013, 08:57
:ditto: wot Vindiboy says, avoid Rouen like the plague, they are rebuilding a major artery bridge after a fuel tanker burnt out on it, Will be closed for months! There is a great free Aire at the Shell service area on the A16 toll at Baive Somme just before Abbeyville. Special area just for caravans & motorhomes, with free dump & fill facilities available. Quiet, safe with beautiful scenery. OK it cost €8 toll but you will proberbly save that in fuel and you are well into the route south, the toll free A28 is at the next junction. Myk:camper:
Also recommend this one stopped loads of times (it is on Peage but only a short length).
Aire autoroutiere de la Baie de Somme | Baie de somme (http://www.baiedesomme.fr/en/aire-autoroutiere-de-la-baie-de-somme)
also have a look at my links page you will find a few sites there which could help.
Rob
http://www.rebbyvid.co.uk/#/more-links/4542257529

John H
15-11-2013, 09:37
Another vote for the aire at Wissant, here :)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS