PDA

View Full Version : Lidl Snow Chains

marydot
14-11-2013, 21:45
Think it's a week on Monday, Lidl are selling snow chains for £20. As we are setting off down through France & Spain to Almeria on 3rd January, thought it might be prudent to carry some, especially at that price. Does anyone have any experience of this brand? I know they've sold them in previous years.

Marydot

dave and mary
15-11-2013, 06:36
Hi, nothing about snow chains, only to say we have never carried them and found that in Spain the authority's seem to get the main roads clear very quick. When we first left England 10 years ago we headed for Almeria, and spent a lot of time at camping Roquetas, in Roquetad de Mar it is a good site with a bar and laundry etc. In the winter months you get 2 pitches for the price of one, there are a few English people who live on the site full time, if you prefer to wild camp, go right down through Roquetas and there is a car park by the sea this is a good place for overnighting, if you go through Almeria past the air port you can drive down onto the beach, years gone by we would stay there for a few days but now they move you for if you try to stay over night, so we stay on the beach all day then move into the car park by the Bartelo hotel in Retermar. We are unable to go to Spain this year, so we are very envois of you all that are going, have a great and safe time

Seannachie
15-11-2013, 06:52
Think it's a week on Monday, Lidl are selling snow chains for £20. As we are setting off down through France & Spain to Almeria on 3rd January, thought it might be prudent to carry some, especially at that price. Does anyone have any experience of this brand? I know they've sold them in previous years.

Marydot

I've no experience of the brand Lidl's going to be selling but at that price they're worth buying and tucking away just in case you need them one day, provided that they fit your wheels! I'll certainly buy a pair if they will fit my vehicle - 225/75 R16. Somewhere else recently I came across another person who mentioned that a national motor factor was selling show-chains for £19.99 and that he'd bought them for his vehicle but product information page stated categorically that the chains did not fit the size of tyres on his vehicle!

Another tip, try them at home in the dry so you know how to fit them rather than wait until you're stuck somewhere in the snow, it's freezing and perhaps dark.That's not a good time to try anything out for the first time.

Have a good trip. We may even see you down there as we hope to set off latish December to do the same journey.

Seannachie
15-11-2013, 07:02
Think it's a week on Monday, Lidl are selling snow chains for £20.

Marydot

I've just had a look at Lidl's web-pages but can't see these mentioned anywhere. Can you please provide more details so I can find out when these are available and if they will be in my local store?

Thanks.

witzend
15-11-2013, 07:11
When I was looking at snow chains before buying I noticed quite a difference in the quality of them size of links and thickness of links. It was the cheaper ones that where of lighter construction and wouldn't give as much grip

Seannachie
15-11-2013, 07:36
When I was looking at snow chains before buying I noticed quite a difference in the quality of them size of links and thickness of links. It was the cheaper ones that where of lighter construction and wouldn't give as much grip

No doubt perfectly true but I'd be prepared to spend £20 on a pair that may never be used rather than the £70 - £120 usually quoted for my size of tyres. Who cares if the expensive ones are better quality or easier to fit when they are likely to spend their entire life being unused.

Sharon the Cat
15-11-2013, 07:59
I've just had a look at Lidl's web-pages but can't see these mentioned anywhere. Can you please provide more details so I can find out when these are available and if they will be in my local store?

Thanks.

Nothing listed for my Lidl. They are store specific with their offers but this is being posted on other forums too.

Croftland1
15-11-2013, 09:00
They will probably be the standard 9mm variety, which would be unsuitable for a 3.5 tonne vehicle. If buying chains, you should probably get at least 12mm thickness. The ones sold for 4x4 vehicles are even thicker I think.
Unless you're heading up the mountain passes to the ski resorts, you're unlikely to need chains, but if you were, they are often mandatory.
We have bought snow chains in French supermarkets before now. They have a wide selection for as little as 20 Euros a set.

Seannachie
15-11-2013, 10:10
We have bought snow chains in French supermarkets before now. They have a wide selection for as little as 20 Euros a set.

Never thought of that because I thought they would be more expensive in France. On my way to Spain I've got to drop into an Intermarche anyway to buy their 9Kg Butane Bottle (it's the biggest size which will fit through my gas-locker door) so I'll have a look for chains too (just in case).

marydot
15-11-2013, 13:08

Thanks.

There's a big brochure in store 'A Lidl Christmas Magic', showing food on front and back. but inside on p13, the snow chains are going to be in stock from Monday 25th November, along with other bits of car kit. They are available in 'various sizes, and have a 3 year warranty

Marydot

Seannachie
15-11-2013, 14:59
There's a big brochure in store 'A Lidl Christmas Magic', showing food on front and back. but inside on p13, the snow chains are going to be in stock from Monday 25th November, along with other bits of car kit. They are available in 'various sizes, and have a 3 year warranty

Marydot

Thanks for that info - I'll look into my local Lidl on the 25th.

Sharon the Cat
21-11-2013, 11:45
Our Offers - Monday, 25.11. - ULTIMATE SPEED® Set of 2 Snow Chains - Lidl UK (http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-206F01D2-8D7DCEDB/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=7632)

:rabbit:

Seannachie
21-11-2013, 18:02
Our Offers - Monday, 25.11. - ULTIMATE SPEED® Set of 2 Snow Chains - Lidl UK (http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-206F01D2-8D7DCEDB/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=7632)

:rabbit:

Thanks for the timely reminder, Sharon. Only a pity that Lidl didn't state the tyre sizes the chains will fit in their advert. Bet they don't fit 225/75 R16s! Still, I'm going to roll up at my local store at 8:00AM to see.

:)

Seannachie
26-11-2013, 07:47
Was in-store at 8:05 yesterday and they had about 50 sets of chains in different sizes but unfortunately none of them fitted my tyres (225/75 R16). Drat!

chrisinbrighton
26-11-2013, 07:56
Do snow chains have to be kept in the freezer to stop them melting ? lol

philm
26-11-2013, 08:49
Do snow chains have to be kept in the freezer to stop them melting ? lol

No, fridge will do just nicely.

Seannachie
26-11-2013, 17:37
Thanks for that link and information, David, but I don't think I'll bother buying any. Like yourself, I've never had need of them - even driving into Andorra in December from France (and out again into Spain) - but I wouldn't have minded tossing a pair costing £20.00 into the boot on the off-chance that I might need them one day.

Bill.

PS. They seem like an excellent product though and in 16mm steel too. Thinner models (9mm or 12 mm) cost more in my size in the UK!

Sky
27-11-2013, 15:20
a pity that Lidl didn't state the tyre sizes the chains will fit in their advert.

I bought some just now - and I must admit I'm impressed with the quality at that price. I wouldn't want to drive far on chains anyway, but for an emergency and to carry 'just in case' I think £20.00 was worth it.

Here are some pictures of the sizes etc. (sorry about the quality and flash, but I took them with my phone):

Sky
27-11-2013, 15:32
Oops, don't know how that 'attached' got there, but I can't delete it. :(

Seannachie
27-11-2013, 17:15
It was very helpful of you to put up piccies of the sizes, thank you. I only wish I had seen those before making a point of getting to my local Lidl at 8:00AM on Monday as I could have saved myself a journey. :lol-053:

Sky
27-11-2013, 17:31
Oh, that's a shame. :(

I must admit, I was very surprised when they had the size I wanted. :)

rugbyken
28-11-2013, 16:20
Just picked a set up, they have four sizes 70,80,90 & 100, quite clearly marked with the sizes each of them fit ,my 2007 Ducato 2.3 215/70/15 are for the largest size the 100 , they are clearly designed mainly for car use but look reasonably robust , I hope that £20 I just spent is never used but after getting caught in almost 20" snow in France late march I think at 3.7kg they're well worth throwing under the seat as insurance,
There's a bit of snow forecast for Wales this weekend but so far next weekend clear so we shouldn't need them at Caerphilly.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS