PDA

View Full Version : Canbus led bulbs

David & Ann
16-11-2013, 15:50
All led lights internally, done them a year or so ago. I have now fitted all round externally with led bulbs with no problem. Only the indicator bulbs and the H3 and H7 I am told need to be CANBUS error type. Is this true?? There is also a mention that the H3 v12 & H7 v12 main beam bulbs could be illegal. Is that a fact?? Your thoughts please. Thank you.

Wooie1958
16-11-2013, 16:13
LED Headlights are illegal in the UK unless they are fitted from new by the Manufacturer.

trevskoda
16-11-2013, 19:47
i have all my cars van etc on led,from ebay, tried led h4 they have no proper dip,they only dim down and the pin in configeration is wrong.
as for winkers ,you require a resister in wiring line ,wont save on current but less likley to blow led as bulbs will do.
i changed all on my skoda favorite estate as when i slamed tailgate shut i required bulb replacement about fortnightly
soon got pissed of with this over 11 years.

trevskoda
16-11-2013, 19:51
forgot to say in last post canbus is only to make sure polarity,dont worry about this ,make sure u use smd leds its the latest type,also watch soom bulbs wont go through fitting and i had to fill out very slightly my side light holders on my iveco 59 c 12 campervan,hope all this helps.

Teutone
17-11-2013, 06:26
if your vehicle is equipped with CAN bus you may better invest in CAN bus LED's.
CAN bus is checking the function of the bulbs even if they are not in use by sending a small current and meters if the current is returned.
--normal LED's won't let the current pass (it's a diode, remember?) and CAN but may report an error and shows you bulb not working
--the small current the CAN bus is sending is not enough to light a filament bulb up but can be just enough to get the LED working (even if your light is witched off)

CAN bus save LED's have a little circuit on the PCB to simulate a filament bulb to the vehicles ECU

For the indicators you may need to add a load resistor behind the bulb or the flashing speed will be way too fast. The fast flashing is a way of telling you that a bulb is blown (because the resistance of the 21Watt bulb is missing) and by using a LED you will exactly take the 21W resistance away.

So either fit an inline load resistor (usually sold by the place where you bought your LED's) or fit another flasher relay for LED's. But I wouldn't recommend this on a CAN bus vehicle.

For the main lights I would stay clear of any bulb which isn't designed to fit the reflector etc. The beam pattern can be off. Just look at all the vehicles with aftermarket HID bulbs blinding half of the traffic.

David & Ann
17-11-2013, 07:17
My thanks to Teutone and other folks for your advice. I think I will leave the main beam lights as they are. Otherwise all the rest have been done. ☺

trevskoda
17-11-2013, 07:37
good post from teutone about canbus leds i did not know this,good education base here me thinks,
but im alright as all my motor stock is from the last century & has not much of this gigerypokery thank goodnes.
now wheres my starting handle .

baloothebear
17-11-2013, 09:09
LED Headlights are illegal in the UK unless they are fitted from new by the Manufacturer.

Do you know why this is? Not looking to start any arguments, I'm just asking

Wooie1958
17-11-2013, 10:06

For the life of me i can`t find where i read it but it`s something to do with " Type Approval and Beam Pattern ".

It only applies to the Headlights, all the others Sidelights, Markers, Indicators, Fog , Reversing and Number Plate lights are OK.

I`ve replaced all the lights inside and out on my van with LEDs including extra Sidelights and i have DRL`s connected via an Auto Switch.

It passes the MOT fine and the garage has commented on how good they look, he asked me where i`d got them from and he too now has
them on his Breakdown Truck and his Car.

I`ll keep looking and try and find the info.

mark61
17-11-2013, 10:09

Have no idea, could be that legislation has not kept up to date with technology, or more likely it could be they don't meet the required specs regarding beam pattern.
While LED replacement headlight bulbs are definitely not legal, I am not so sure about aftermarket LED headlights, some like these (http://www.jwspeaker.com/other/8700evolution) are approved for on road use in Europe. Certainly as far as headlights are concerned it is much better to have a light designed to be LED rather then just bunging in a LED bulb in a conventional headlight unit.

There is not much that can legally be done to improve the light from dipped headlights, but fitting quality bulbs does make a bit of difference.

When it comes to auxiliary driving/spot lights, LED's are in a league of their own, at a cost.

torwood
17-11-2013, 15:59
Not 100% certain but I think if you are replacing a bulb with a matching LED there is no problem, but replacing a fitting, I.e. Headlamp and bulb with a new all in one fitting it needs to meet the requirements of the Construction and Use regulations or it will be illegal and will at the least be a MOT fail unless you are in an accident in which case your insurance company may walk away if it is illegal and an undeclared modification.

mark61
17-11-2013, 17:39
Not 100% certain but I think if you are replacing a bulb with a matching LED there is no problem, but replacing a fitting, I.e. Headlamp and bulb with a new all in one fitting it needs to meet the requirements of the Construction and Use regulations or it will be illegal and will at the least be a MOT fail unless you are in an accident in which case your insurance company may walk away if it is illegal and an undeclared modification.

As far as I can see, replacement LED headlight bulbs are not legal, and any reputable dealer will state they are for off road or show use only.

As far as LED replacement headlights, yes you are right. It would need to be approved for on road use in EU.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS